Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Build Feasibility of UCS Sets

GregHGregH ScotlandMember Posts: 7
edited July 21 in Collecting
I wanted to ask your opinions on buying the pieces and building my own 10221, 10174 and 10030 - Star Destroyers and AT-ST?  It has got to be signigficantly cheaper than buying a boxed set but are there many unique pieces that are going to hinder a build?

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,677
    Just buy the parts, download the instructions and build them!

How hard can it be?
    SprinkleOtterJackad7SumoLegoprevere
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,849
    You can do it easily enough, if you don't mind "project managing" buying the parts before you build.

You probably want to look at bricklink first, so you can look for which parts are the most expensive.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,994
    edited July 21
    Just buy the parts, download the instructions and build them!

How hard can it be?
    Not helpful....!

Some of the necessary elements ARE extremely expensive and hard to source, so you need to go into these specific UCS Bricklinking projects with your eyes wide open. I don't recall offhand which parts are tough to find/expensive, but some folks on here hopefully will. If you're happy to accept substitutions (parts and/or colours) then it'll make your life a hell of a lot easier.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • Habitant99Habitant99 FloridaMember Posts: 57
    It can be cheaper, sure.  It can also be somewhat painful and painstaking, depending on the set.  There can be situations where you need something very specific that is either expensive or has a long lead time, and that can be frustrating.  As others have said, best to get a grasp of prices first, but also to see what things you can do to cut prices - i.e. if an expensive piece is not visible, but you can buy it in an alternate color, do you care?  If these are just for display in your collection, that's a call you'll have to make.
    Jackad7
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,827
    for 10030 you best bet is to do a mix of old grey and new grey (nothing compromising the legitimacy as Lego actually released sets with mix). For most of the build, it will be much much cheaper to do bluish grey, while with some of the rarer parts, it would be cheaper to do in old grey.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 3,948
    The AT-ST shouldn't be too hard but then again that one isn't too expensive on the secondary market either. By the time you bricklink a bunch of orders and pay shipping buying a set used or new might be cheaper and easier. 

There are a ton of rare and expensive parts in the #10030, offhand I know of the magnets, the giant space wheels that form the rockets in the back. The difficulty with sourcing parts for this set is compounded by the fact it was produced on both sides of the old and new grey bricks color palate change.

I would guess that the SSD would be much more doable as it is more recent and more of those parts are likely to be available but I am just speculating.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 731
    I am 3 parts away from a brick linked 10174. Getting the parts was fairly easy. I cannot comment on price as I bought the parts with parts for other projects.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,470
    This may sound like a dumb question but are you planning on building them all to be displayed at the same time?
    If you are interested in just building and displaying them one at a time, you can save a vast amount of money using parts that cross over all of the builds.
    It also depends if you want the minifigures, how purist you want to be with mould variations to get the finished result and whether you are okay with using used bricks.

From what I remember for the SSD.
    Part 30360 in LBG can be quite expensive per part and there are 7 of them (even Bricks and Pieces doesn't appear to have them at the moment).

The yellow part 32555 is easily replaced with black for a fraction of the cost.

Most of the other parts for the ship are fairly common but you may have problems sourcing the required amount of some of them from single sellers (there are large amounts of wedge plates and small clips used in the build).

For 10174 

Being in the UK can be an issue for parts 41749 and 41750 as they can be quite difficult to snag (there are currently only 2 or 3 Bricklink stores with the parts and only 1 that has the amount required). Most of it is quite easy to source and is probably the easiest set to do.

For 10030
    If you want to be purist about it but are on a budget, forget about it.
    There are bucket loads of parts for this that either needs alternatives or if really desperate, spray painting. 
    The most obvious part that's an issue is the 3 big grey wheels (part 2573) these start at around £40 a pop used + shipping from the states to £60 a piece new from the UK. You do have the choice of Orange or Black with a can of spray paint or I have seen some good Brick built alternatives.
    The other part of the engine build that adds a hefty chunk to the cost is the 6 x 6 trans clear dishes that slot inside the wheels.

There are also issues with the half barrels (4424), the magnets and magnet holders in suitable quantities, the 6 x 16 plates can be difficult to get hold of,  the small levers in suitable quantities,  and the 2 halves that make up the spheres on the bridge section of the build are rarer than rocking horse poop plus a few others that I cannot recall
    The good thing is that for most of them there are alternative brick built solutions if you don't mind a bit of searching on the net, minor colour swaps (light grey for MSG) or the aforementioned spray paint when all else fails. 

If you do plan on doing all 3 builds my only recommendation would be a good spread sheet to tally up all the parts (nothing worse than buying for one build only to find you need 2 more of the same part for another build at an extra postage cost) check prices from Bricklink, Brickowl, Pick a Brick and Bricks and Pieces as some parts are cheaper from Lego than they are on Bricklink especially after taking shipping into account and spend a bit of time checking the difference between the cheapest price for smaller amounts against slightly higher price  from 1 seller as it can make a big difference to the final cost.

Oh, and enjoy it.  It can be one of the most satisfying things to do these projects and get to the end product and admire your achievement. :)
    drdavewatfordLobotGothamConstructionCosamiam391stluxkhmellymelCosworth3dGregH
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 681

@GregH -

10221 should be relatively straightforward to Bricklink, but it might be worth keeping an eye on Ebay as you can often pick up a used version for a reasonable price (and infact the overall price seems to have dropped a little in the last 12 months....)

10030 - Some of the parts are getting incredibly rare; I started Bricklinking one a few years and gave up after I realised it was cheaper to buy a used one.  From memory, the key parts are:

28 x 73092 Black Magnet Cylindrical
    14 x 2607 Black Magnet Holder 2 x 3
    4 x 4424 Light Gray Container, Barrel Half Large
    2 x 30208 Light Gray Cylinder Hemisphere 4 x 4 Multifaceted
    2 x 30342Light Gray Rock Arctic Globe, Bottom
    3 x 2573 Light Gray Wheel Hard Plastic Giant (71mm D. x 47mm)
    14 x 30159 Tan Magnet Holder Plate 2 x 2 Bottom
    3 x 44375a Trans-Light Blue Dish 6 x 6 Inverted (Radar) - Hollow Studs

10174 - I haven't tried Bricklinking it, simply due to the quantity of unique part types (approx. 170); if you're starting from scratch it's likely that it could end up being more expensive than a used set, simply due to the number of orders you'll need to make to source all of the parts.

bandit778drdavewatfordstlux
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,871
    For the 10030 Star Destroyer, the 8x8 LBG Dish used to be a unique part commanding up to $40.00 each! This was due to  Cavegod's popular AT-AT MOC that used 5 of then. Fortunately, Lego just release set #76075, Wonder Women Battle, so the price for that piece has dropped considerably to $2.00 - $4.00 each.

My advice would be to buy a complete (or near complete) used set.  Big MOC's/sets will take many more Bricklink orders then you would expect and the postage/fees costs mount up quick. 
    Lobot77ncaachamps
  • jamiestjamiest englandMember Posts: 37
    HI there,

I started to bricklink the large destroyer 10030 a few years ago, but never got round to finishing it.
    From memory, I have most of the parts including all (I think) the rare expensive parts (wheels, rock parts, radars, translucent blue parts, magnets etc)
    I think it's mostly plates remaining.

I am happy to sell if you are interested.
    If you are, I can do an inventory for you (might take a while!)
    I know I have a big box that is rammed full of parts for this!!

All colours are the new light bluish grey.
    Pretty sure all are brand new parts, and are genuine lego.

Cheers

Jamie
    Lobot
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 430
    ecmo47 said:
    For the 10030 Star Destroyer, the 8x8 LBG Dish used to be a unique part commanding up to $40.00 each! This was due to  Cavegod's popular AT-AT MOC that used 5 of then. Fortunately, Lego just release set #76075, Wonder Women Battle, so the price for that piece has dropped considerably to $2.00 - $4.00 each.

My advice would be to buy a complete (or near complete) used set.  Big MOC's/sets will take many more Bricklink orders then you would expect and the postage/fees costs mount up quick. 
    +1, and i used bricklink auto-finder for managing my last bricklinking project. got trolled by a odd bug when one part type appears as 2 lots. the second one doesng et subtracted on "apply order". only noticed after build when i had 400 parts over (including a bunch of long 2xsomething plates)
  • GregHGregH ScotlandMember Posts: 7
    Many, many thanks for the detailed responses, lots to ponder. I'd like to try the Star Destroyers despite the difficulties but I'll do more research first. 
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,871
    edited July 24
    +1, and i used bricklink auto-finder for managing my last bricklinking project. got trolled by a odd bug when one part type appears as 2 lots. the second one doesng et subtracted on "apply order". only noticed after build when i had 400 parts over (including a bunch of long 2xsomething plates)
    Yes, the AT-AT used 6 of them: 2 for the head and one for each foot. Didn't realize my mistake until 6 minutes and 1 second after posting. 

@GregH: You should seriously consider @jamiest offer. The fact that you two are in the same geographically location is a situation that is quite rare and should be investigate. It will save to a lot on postage alone. Check this link to get some idea of reasonable pricing:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10030-1&ColorID=0
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,698
    edited July 25
    Mistook 10174 for 10179 - never mind!