Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Coming Back to Lego, First-Time Poster

FuseUnisonFuseUnison U.S.Member Posts: 5
Hello all!

Just coming back to Lego as a hobby for the first time since I was a kid, and decided I really wanted to go in depth with it this time.

I'm disabled due to epilepsy, so I don't have much income.  Since my hobbies aren't something I "need", the only money I allow myself to spend on them is the little I earn from doing computer repair for local people in my home town.  As a result, I thought to myself, build models in LDD or Stud.io and then just buy the individual bricks that I absolutely need, instead of piecing together bricks from various sets.

Well...the first model I built(coming in at 6159 pieces) is still WAY beyond what I could ever afford, haha...so I guess it will have to forever stay in the digital world. 

Regardless, I felt like showing a screen capture of what the model looked like.  I think my next model will have to be planned out to be a little more modest on needed pieces, lol.

----

Anywho...thoughts?  Good, bad, or "meh" for my first try at a legitimate model of my own creation?  Thanks in advance.  =)

gmonkey76Pitfall69MasterBeefykhmellymelSumoLegosamiam391SalamalexbluedragonMynattFowlerBrickspreveretallblocktoocatwranglerLEGO_Dad77

Comments

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 864
    Welcome to the forum. My computer skills are basically to restart if there's a problem, then call IT. The model is excellent.
    FuseUnisonJackad7LEGO_Dad77
  • FuseUnisonFuseUnison U.S.Member Posts: 5
    Thanks much!

I have a few ideas for my next model, but I'm having trouble getting ideas that I "might" be able to afford to actually build in real life, hah.

Right now, I think the next project I'm going to work on is a rendition of the dragon eggs from "Game of Thrones".  Already made the eggs, now I just need to work on the box.  I'm trying to work on a more modest scale, so the eggs look a little more blocky than I'd like.  =(

Jackad7catwranglerLEGO_Dad77
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 247
    Since you definitely seem to have the computer savvy and talent for putting these designs together, you could always help your LEGO budget by creating digital designs, an inventory list of parts, and digital instructions for the creation. There are sites where you can sell them, or you can sell them on your own on eBay or a personal website. Rebrickable and Mocpages are two good places to take a look at what other people are doing with making their own creations. 
    pharmjodFuseUnisonstluxMynattsid3windrcatwranglerLEGO_Dad77
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,923
    edited July 29
    That is a very nicely designed digital model........but it is much too large to garner much interest outside your own. You certainly are showing an early proficiency at digital design. I would encourage you to join some of the Lego building contests that are hosted by many of the Lego websites. For many,  a digital rendition is a perfectly acceptable entry.  Most of the Lego Ideas are not brick-built models. The Dragon eggs are a little "Meh" in my book but if they could "crack" open and have a dragonette inside, that would be something to get excited about! Good luck and I look forward to future designs from you. By the way, there is a thread called "The Brickset Builders Guild - Show your MOC's here" which is the prefect place for you to show off your latest and greatest models - digital or brick-built. 

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/14663/the-brickset-builders-guild-share-your-mocs-here#latest

FuseUnisonstluxMaffyD
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 482
    edited July 29
    If you make some architecture sized game of thrones sets I would definitely be interested. Design them to be about the same scale to each other as in the opening credits then make one for each city and sell the instructions for $5-15 each and realease one every couple of months . I can imagine when people realize they can build the whole friggin map these things would become incredibly notorious.
    FuseUnisonsid3windrcatwrangler
  • FuseUnisonFuseUnison U.S.Member Posts: 5
    edited July 29
    The Dragon eggs are a little "Meh" in my book but if they could "crack" open and have a dragonette inside, that would be something to get excited about!

You're right, the eggs are pretty "meh"(and that's being generous).  I'm hoping that their housing box will save the overall model, but in this case I'm trying to make a model that I can actually afford to put together in real life, and I'm trying to work on a slightly less detailed scale...however, working at said scale makes the model look a little too "blocky" for my tastes, and I may just start over.

The hatch-able idea for the eggs is interesting though...I think I may "try" to figure out how to build that...have NO idea how to do it right now though, so I think I'll finish the initial model first before I go back and amend...I just like to finish things I've started(OCD, sorry, lol).
    - - -

Thanks to everyone else for all of the encouraging words though.  Thanks to you all.  =)

- - -
    @Jackad7 ; --  That is a WONDERFUL idea!!!  For now, the idea of doing the entire opening map is a little daunting (but EVENTUALLY maybe).  As for right now, maybe just one house's home(like maybe starting out with Winterfell, for example, and then working from there).  I would like to reiterate, I'm just starting out with modeling, so it may take me a while to learn all of the necessary methods of construction to create such a structure.  =(

Jackad7LEGO_Dad77