Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego Burglaries from Homes?

Hi,

I just heard that someone (non Lego related) who lives relatively close to me has just been burgled and it's gotten me thinking... is anyone aware of any Lego collectors or Bricklinkers who have been targeted, particularly in the UK.

I appreciate Lego is bulky though and presume this is unlikely, but as someone who has a lot of sealed sets I just want to ensure their safety.

To be fair though, in this instance the guy was a small independent Jeweller who's workshop was in his garage. Thieves broke in through the roof by removing roof tiles. They apparently only took jewellery which of course is much easier to conceal and transport than Lego. Still you can't be too careful. 

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    I remember a story about someone having part of their collection stolen from their shed a few years back.
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 515
    Really! - I just wonder the motive behind that. Would a burglar target lego for resale. Or would that be more likely a Lego loving thief :)

My setup is rather more robust than a shed but I was previously in a room with no windows, like a safe cell :) , whereas now I am in a room with a window and Velux roof windows etc which make me nervous. 
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,297
    I'd imagine houses being targeted specificly because of their LEGO collections is few and far between. Someone would have to know what you had and what's it worth. Even in a random home invasion, jewelry and electronics would be the targets. Things that can be sold quickly. Not something that has to be researched and then having to find a market for it. Most stolen items are turned around very quickly.
    @Yodalicious Thats what I think also but was curious to see if there were any instances.

Its really not that hard to find at least some addresses via Bricklink sellers, market place trades etc. But as you say you'd have to be in the know regarding value. Not sure how many Lego fans/collectors there are in the burglar community :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    edited July 31
    You'd also need the time to make sure you carry off the sets without damage or losing bits, then check everything is there and so on. It is probably easier to just grab the minifigs (as can happen at shows) than run off with a fully built model.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,396
    Someone here had minnifigs pinched in broad daylight from their cafe.
    CCC said:
    You'd also need the time to make sure you carry off the sets without damage or losing bits, then check everything is there and so on. It is probably easier to just grab the minifigs (as can happen at shows) than run off with a fully built model.
    I was more concerned about sealed sets, which could be carried away relatively easily and resold. There's plenty of collectors/sellers with dozens if not hundreds of sealed sets I would presume.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 415
    Yeah, so the problem here is I doubt criminals are hanging out of Lego forums and youtube watching Lego videos.  Doesn't seem like something they'd do in their free time when they are burglarizing homes. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,316
    One of the most common thing that burglars steal from houses these days is car keys. While fully planned burglaries do happen more often than not there is an element of opportunity involved.
    That goes especially for sheds - there are some burglars that literally just creep around back gardens testing sheds or garages to see if they are locked (or even easily opened locks) - if someone was to break into a collectors house and steal stuff from their collection chances are it would happen to that they had seen the "LEGO worth more than gold" type articles and figured a couple of boxes was an easy win.
    So what I'm getting from the responses is that this isn't something to worry about too much. i.e. No historic cases
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,327
    I'd be more worried about a theft by someone you know, who is aware that your collection exists and what in it is worth money. Some random intruder in your house is more likely to snatch a random fig off a display, rather than go searching for that valuable NISB set you have tucked in storage.
    SprinkleOtterdougts
  • deephorsedeephorse West Yorkshire, U.K.Member Posts: 80
    Technically that's a TWOC of LEGO and not theft!

But seriously, everyone should ensure that their home is as secure as it can be, and not fret over whether or not their collection is a target.  
    MaffyD
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 417
    edited August 1
    I know a guy who had a couple of built displayed sets burgled from his house a few years back. Some ships for sure, Imperial Flagship, Black Pearl, I think Queen Anne's Revenge, possibly other sets as well. I don't remember the exact details. I was still in my dark ages at the time.

He wasn't sure if it was someone he knew or someone that grabbed them because they were displayed. Some other stuff was taken at the same time. So a burgler that took them because of assumed value because they were displayed, or someone he knew who grabbed other stuff as a cover. Or an AFOL burgler. Crazy!
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 482
    If your really concerned out a obscure but distinct block in an out of sightplace in your model or make some sort of small distinctive mark on the bottom of your box. If It gets stolen notify the police and local stores that they might try and sell to of the part/Mark. Most people stealing stuff aren't going to think/care enough to scour a ucs model for one or two 1x1 plate parts that aren't actually from the set. Yet again I might have just given away my secret to thieves! (Or am playing some reverse psychology so they spend hours looking for something that isnt there >:D)
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 802
    Not a home invasion, but a car break in just today. Stole three backpacks. Two of which had Lego. 
    One was my wife's with all her CMF's that she uses for Lego photography. 
    The other was my son's backpack with several of his CMFs and a couple of built sets.  
    My iPad was in my backpack as was my wife's. Stolen also were our Legoland season passes. 
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 802
    edited August 14
    ^ Ah thats a bummer.

My nervousness is growing also. Yesterday I found what looks like Ladder marks in the gravel at the side of my property and inspecting the roof (single story extension) showed some evidence of someone being on the roof around my roof windows.

I think I'm going to invest in an alarm!

Jackad7
  • Ayrton1310Ayrton1310 IrelandMember Posts: 39
    You should also invest in dogs! I read somewhere recently (don't quote me) that burglars are 70% less likely to rob a house if there's a dog in or outside the house. You should get a German Shepard, they are the quietest of dogs and great with kids until a stranger arrives! :-)

Jackad7bobabricks
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 834
    ^ Ah thats a bummer.

My nervousness is growing also. Yesterday I found what looks like Ladder marks in the gravel at the side of my property and inspecting the roof (single story extension) showed some evidence of someone being on the roof around my roof windows.

I think I'm going to invest in an alarm!

Probably a lead theif.
    ^ possibly paranoia but I suspect they were doing a on the recce the place not knowing whats inside. Like I said in my original post, someone on the same road was broken into a week or two back and in that case they carefully removed each roof tile till they had enough room to cut the roof felt underneath and drop through. 

That was on a garage/workshop though whereas mine is a proper extension though they could come through the Velux windows, though I'm led to believe these are not normally used by burglars.

^ possibly paranoia but I suspect they were doing a on the recce the place not knowing whats inside. Like I said in my original post, someone on the same road was broken into a week or two back and in that case they carefully removed each roof tile till they had enough room to cut the roof felt underneath and drop through. 

That was on a garage/workshop though whereas mine is a proper extension though they could come through the Velux windows, though I'm led to believe these are not normally used by burglars.

I watch your videos on YT @All_That_Rocks . I know cameras can be deceiving but is that not like a 12' drop from the velux windows? Would be pretty difficult for them to hop down without and ankle breaker!
    Not much you can do about people coming in through the roof...
    I watch your videos on YT @All_That_Rocks . I know cameras can be deceiving but is that not like a 12' drop from the velux windows? Would be pretty difficult for them to hop down without and ankle breaker!
    Yeah it is a pretty big drop. And I'm hoping that would put them off. But there are some tables which might assist, or at least break the fall :) I'm probably being way too careful here but doing some calculations on sealed set value is pretty scary if that were to disappear one day.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,802
    You should also invest in dogs! I read somewhere recently (don't quote me) that burglars are 70% less likely to rob a house if there's a dog in or outside the house. You should get a German Shepard, they are the quietest of dogs and great with kids until a stranger arrives! :-)

maybe you could just loop a youtube video with dogs sounds so that robbers would hear it before trying to break in
    Ayrton1310
    Fauch said:

maybe you could just loop a youtube video with dogs sounds so that robbers would hear it before trying to break in
    Is there some prize we can give here guys? This is by far the best idea yet!
    I'm thinking maybe get a phillips motion sensor to hook upto my Hue Lighting and connect it to my Amazon echo through IFTT.com That way I could have the motion sensor turn on all the lights and start playing some Freak Kitchen at full volume. That should frighten off any intruder.

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,962
    No need to loop.... there's a 12 hour barking dog video on Youtube....

Ayrton1310DaraghJackad7
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 274
    You all worry too much (with the exception of @Morkman - sorry for your loss) so often, anti-theft measures create more problems than the few burglars around (i.e. a neighbours *&?! car alarm going off again in the middle of the night!)

But then I would say that. I have a dog...
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 482
    M_Boss said:
    Also saw that definitely someone who has been in their house before and knew what they were going after. It did get me a little nervous and at the same time disappointed at the crappy people in the world. As for home security if somebody wants to gamble on meeting my dog inside my house goodluck to them. He's not very nice to strangers when I am home and awake.
  • lord_relishlord_relish Member Posts: 8

A couple of years ago I decided to decorate my one shelf in my small office at work with one set - the 3221 yellow transport truck.

One day I arrived at work and it was gone....

Was eventually traced back to the security guard, but after he had been fired for other random thefts around the building.

Now that silly truck sells for 3 or 4 times what I paid for it... too expensive to replace for what it was, but I certainly do miss it.

My office has been Lego free ever since.

Jackad7
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 216
    I have IP CCTV in my Lego room, with motion detection alerts! You don't need expensive kit to keep an eye on things. Camera has audio and two-way mic/speaker so can also talk to the room no matter where I am! 
    Jackad7
    I have IP CCTV in my Lego room, with motion detection alerts! You don't need expensive kit to keep an eye on things. Camera has audio and two-way mic/speaker so can also talk to the room no matter where I am! 
    What kit do you have? Does it just need a WiFi connection and power?
  • AwesomenessAwesomeness OhioMember Posts: 41
    Just read a story on toysnbricks.com about someone breaking in and running off with just a lego collection here in the US. I figured I'd let the community know that it does happen and to help keep an eye out for this too.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,962
    edited September 11
    At first I was skeptical that burglars would bother taking LEGO, because they couldn't pawn it off for quick cash.  But maybe we are now dealing with a different type of burglar (I hate to say it).... one that is a collector, or one that knows the value of a friends or acquaintances collection.

Are we now at the point where we have to keep knowledge of our collections a secret?  We tall total strangers here on forums what we have.... as well as friends, acquaintances and families.... 

Maybe our collection boasting days should be numbered!!  :-(

drdavewatfordOnebricktoomanydavetheoxygenmanJackad7
    I, errr, don't collect Lego!
    sid3windrMynattM_BossdavetheoxygenmanJackad7KlintanFowlerBricks