Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Advent calendars 2017

CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,491
edited July 31 in Collecting
The images for the City and Friends advent calendars for 2017 are now in the database.

This seems to be a new low for the Friends calendar - it contains ONE minidoll. That's compared to six minifigs in the City calendar. It has always been low at just two minidolls, but they've gone too far this year. A definite not-buy at £20. And probably not even at 50% off.
LostInTranslationstluxcatwranglersid3windrtamamahmJohnnyfinlandiamadforLEGOlibbster

Comments

• canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 278
    The star wars calendar isnt much better.  A santa bb-8?  At least give us a full minifig for a santa.  Maybe I'm just not seeing it?
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,240
    edited July 31
    At least the SW calendar also has 6 minifigs/droids. 

The Friends calendar also has the lowest piece count: 217 vs 248 for City and 309(!) for Star Wars. 6 animals in the Friends calendar though, vs 2(?) last year.

(Last year Friends also only had 218 pieces, vs 290 for City and 282 for Star Wars)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,148
    Doesn't the friends one have more animals than previous years? I glanced at it the other day and that seemed the one redeeming feature
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 304
    A Santa BB-8 you say? Well colour me interested :| (have we had a festive Jar Jar yet?)
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,180
    ^ It's not that exciting. Looking at the box art, it's just the normal BB-8 with a Santa hat stuck on top.
    stluxJohnnyfinlandia
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,491
    Shib said:
    Doesn't the friends one have more animals than previous years? I glanced at it the other day and that seemed the one redeeming feature
    I assume the foal is meant to be the replacement for the missing mini-doll this year. Those small hamsters / mice seem to get everywhere these days.

canon03 said:
    The star wars calendar isnt much better.  A santa bb-8?  At least give us a full minifig for a santa.  Maybe I'm just not seeing it?
    I think SW has five minifigs plus the BB8.

^ It's not that exciting. Looking at the box art, it's just the normal BB-8 with a Santa hat stuck on top.

There are probably a couple of extra 1x1 round bricks attached too so that they can add the hat. Not that it makes it any better!

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,473
    Shib said:
    Yeah, it looks like they've basically swapped one minidoll for the foal...

City calendar is much of a muchness, apart from the ice sculpture, which is a nice idea.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,074
    I stopped buying the Friends Advent calendars because they just no longer had anything of interest to me. I certainly couldn't summon up any enthusiasm to review them any more!

I might have a go at creating my own advent calendar. And anyone else inclined to do the same, take a look at the entries from last year's Brickset competition, which featured some amazing suggestions for alternative Lego advent calendars.  
    ShibraygunnMynattcatwrangleromnium
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 436
    I think between the poor contents of the calendar & the friends snow sets, it's an easy pass this year.
    If they drop to a fiver, I may reconsider

I might have a go at creating my own advent calendar. And anyone else inclined to do the same, take a look at the entries from last year's Brickset competition, which featured some amazing suggestions for alternative Lego advent calendars.  
    I did start working on a Harry Potter one for the wife a couple of years ago but found it incredibly difficult to keep the builds down to the required advent calendar scale.
    edited July 31
    I stopped buying the Friends Advent calendars because they just no longer had anything of interest to me. I certainly couldn't summon up any enthusiasm to review them any more!

I've suplemented Friends ones in the past like this - for example my daughter got numerous Elves last year on the particularly bad days, or other small builds such as street lights (similar to City calendar ones) that I BL'ed the parts for. The snow scooter and umpteenth trailer seems to be the standard fare now. And that attachment to the foal is just unbelievable. Shockingly bad this year.
    LostInTranslationSeijiAmasawastluxomnium
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,120
    My personal favourite is the party hat stand. I don't know about the rest of you but I never realised that my home needed a party hat stand until I saw one in the Friends Advent Calendar.
    MeganLcatwranglerM_BossBumblepantssid3windrgmonkey76LostInTranslationMegtheCatlentil
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 622
    The foal attachment is the same as the attachment to the husky in the city calendar last year. But I was already disappointed in last year's Friends calendar, and this one is not helping... Have there been better ones? Should I get one from 2014 or so from Bricklink?

My daughter loves building advent calendars, and Sinterklaas brings us (yes, us - I get the city one) one on December 6th.. she'd be mighty disappointed if there was no Friends one this year :/
    Humdrum
  • WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 18
    My daughter will like the animals in the Friends calendar even if she has them already, and won't mind / care that there is only one minidoll. I agree that they should change the themes - she would love an Elves one!
    sid3windrLegogramHumdrum
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 484
    Deja vu, TLC!

Did Pirates and Castle advent calendars sell so bad that they are not to be tried again?
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,158
    I'd love if they did a Disney one. 
    Switchfoot55legonut80Infinitymansid3windrlentilRogerKirkktsam
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,837
    I'd love if they did a Disney one. 
    that would be cool but it would also go down that slippery but profitable slope for Disney fan $$$.

Soon, we'll have special Disney Halloween sets, etc.

• LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 525
    The calendars are stale and Lego needs to refresh this theme... or do they? No doubt these will sell in the same number as every year as for many customers buying the calendar is some what of a tradition. They will sell regardless of how poor they are this year.

surprised the friends one is so bad and was a missed opportunity to tie in with their latest winter range.

xmas elves would be amazing. In fact, any theme would have been a winner.

sid3windr
    Now the SW one is up officially, I might as well post the image.

7 minifigures plus BB-8. And some decent little models too this year. A few are naff (tool / gun stand) but others are decent enough. The little MF is great.
    YodaliciousBumblepantsbobabricksmadforLEGOMegtheCat77ncaachampsdrdavewatford
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably rainingMember Posts: 131
    ^ Colour me impressed with the minifigs
    bobabricks77ncaachamps
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,473
    Seems like Star Wars is once again the best of the lot. I'm with @icey117; I'd like to know why the Pirate and Castle ones fizzled out as they look very good, and I'm kicking myself for not having bought them when they were out. Maybe they stopped doing them because the popularity of their lines was waning? 
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 180
    The pirate sets weren't even out long enough for me to pick up the ship. l couldn't believe it went away so fast
    Pirates and Castle died out when those ranges had little to no sets in.

I think three per year is enough, and there is always going to be SW. And probably City too based on sales of the range. And Friends (the range) is a big seller too. But it is a shame they don't mix it up a bit and do Elves, maybe Castle once ever 3-4 years, even Nexo Knights would be a change.
    catwrangler
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,180
    ^ Agreed. Similar to the Monster/Halloween themed CMF series. They don't need to do one of those every year, but it was nice to have that thrown into the mix and I'd welcome a themed one again every few years. (Movie/show/licensed series aside.)
    CCCcatwrangler77ncaachamps
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 436
    I definitely think there would be a market for an Elves or Nexo Knights Advent calendar. And why has there never been a Super Heroes one? Would the licensing cost be too outrageous? People seem willing to pay extra for the Star Wars calendar, and surely the SH fandom would be at least as keen....
    sid3windr
    Probably more to do with the fact that the three LEGO put out continue to sell and putting out any more would likely mean competing with themselves more than gaining more sales

(yes AFOLs might buy all three if there was Star Wars, DC Superheroes and Marvel Superheroes calendar but the average child would be lucky to just get one of the three)
    Legoboy
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 814
    Is that a Hoth snow blower in the Star Wars set?
    catwrangler77ncaachampsSumoLegoMynatt
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,923
    CCC said:

7 minifigures plus BB-8. And some decent little models too this year. A few are naff (tool / gun stand) but others are decent enough. The little MF is great.
    Yeah, but like every other Calendar you are going to pay dearly for these compared to what you get.
    FowlerBricks
  • libbsterlibbster great white northMember Posts: 6
    These are so weak this year! I don't understand why they wouldn't do more tie ins with the Ninjago Movie +newer themes like elves and Super Hero Girls not to mention the Calendar's look really skimpy and lacking creative ideas but I guess theres only so many options to keep them exciting year after year...
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 165
    I really like all the mini versions of stuff from TFA and Rogue One in the Star Wars calendar. I may get a set if I can find a discount.
    libbster said:
    These are so weak this year! I don't understand why they wouldn't do more tie ins with the Ninjago Movie +newer themes like elves and Super Hero Girls not to mention the Calendar's look really skimpy and lacking creative ideas but I guess theres only so many options to keep them exciting year after year...
    I think they only build what they know will sell out. They have tried castle as few times and they really did not do great.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 895
    I did have a City advent calendar one year. Not that impressed with it IMHO, and I've avoided them since.
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 510
    I get the Star Wars one every year. I think they're great and I love getting a lego gift every day (hopefully leading up to a big lego gift on the 25th).
    Others have said that they don't think they're good value, but the RRP has been £25 for the last few years, and you can always find them with at least a fiver off. So even at 25 quid thats 3 quid a minifigure and £1 for all the other stuff put together. That's how much a CMF costs, so I see it as the equivalent of a mini CMF Star Wars series every year.
    I've never got the city one, but I think they look OK. However, the Friends one looks crap.
    snowhitie
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 814
    Well, they're still less then a cup a coffee a day... for a lil gift a day.  I 'spose if you're buying for yourself they may be kinda silly, but if purchasing for your kids, they are a fun daily thing for them to do as the holiday excitement builds.  
     .....My kids are all older now, so I'll take the cup of coffee....
    77ncaachamps
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,837
    +1 for the minifigs
    -1 for the santa hat on the same old BB-8 minifig
    +1 for the First Order troop building minifigs
    -1 for the First Order troop building minifigs
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 233
    I'm looking forward to not wanting any of them but still buying one of 'em when Argos inevitably reduces the lot to half price at the beginning of december
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 104

Personally, I've enjoyed the Friends Calendars, however I must admit the mini-doll to animal ratio has always bugged me and now they cut it down to one Mini-Doll? Not a fan, but will probably still get it for completionists sake and the parts are always useful.

I am not a fan of the Unkar's Thug showing up in the Star Wars calendar either, you would think they'd at least use a Guavian Enforcer or maybe one of the characters from Rogue One/The Last Knight. It's a boring figure that wasn't very fun in Rey's Speeder and lacks any value or much interest.

I don't see why they don't make a LEGO Friends Meets Elves Advent Calendar since the two Themes are fairly compatible and it would shake up the bland and samey builds and lack of parts they've tended to use. Also it would allow them to cut back on the animals and perhaps include more mini-dolls with unique outfits.

• msandersmsanders Member Posts: 704
    I get the Star Wars one every year. It always seems really expensive for what it is, but I always reason that you get 8 minifigures (including droids) for that amount. How many sets of that size/cost do you get 8 minifigures in, Star Wars or any theme? Can you imagine Lego ever releasing a proper £25 set with 8 minifigures in? We would all go crazy....!
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 711
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 704
    ^two battle packs?
    Not with some of these figures or past figures (exclusive ones or rarer ones), although the recent Bounty hunter pack is cool. 
    CCC said:

Yeah, but like every other Calendar you are going to pay dearly for these compared to what you get.
    I normally pay £16-18 for the SW one before Xmas, and occassionally£12 or so after if they are still available. That makes the minifigs each cheaper than a CMF.
    CCC said:
    CCC said:

I normally pay £16-18 for the SW one before Xmas, and occassionally£12 or so after if they are still available. That makes the minifigs each cheaper than a CMF.
    Yeah, they typically do not last long in the US, I think that LEGO has purposefully limited the number to ensure nothing appears with a sale price.
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 510
    Argos have these on their website, not in stock yet but priced at £29.99 so maybe they've got more expensive this year (boo).