Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Is 70620 Ninjago City Scraps?

bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,831
Before I start this discussion, I just want to say that I do like this set and I'm still planning on buying four to make a complete square, this topic just interested me. 

After taking a thorough look at 70620 I saw a lot of parts from past seasons that obviously couldn't be used in any other set other than this mish mash building. So is it possible that Ninjago City was made as a set to get rid of many old liability parts laying around? Is this why the price is so low for a set so large? Could this mean a shorter self life for this set than other D2C sets?

Comments

• LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 403
    Before I start this discussion, I just want to say that I do like this set and I'm still planning on buying four to make a complete square, this topic just interested me. 

After taking a thorough look at 70620 I saw a lot of parts from past seasons that obviously couldn't be used in any other set other than this mish mash building. So is it possible that Ninjago City was made as a set to get rid of many old liability parts laying around? Is this why the price is so low for a set so large? Could this mean a shorter self life for this set than other D2C sets?
    People allege this sort of thing about any sets with an eclectic parts selection all the time, but that's at odds with how Lego operates, particularly in the modern day. The only real "stockpiles" of loose parts Lego has are generally ones produced for that purpose (i.e. basic parts for Pick-a-Brick), or are used for other purposes (customer service replacements, LUG support, etc.). They don't have any need to "use up" leftover brick in sets, since sets are generally composed primarily of newly produced parts for that purpose.
    madforLEGOakunthitastluxgmonkey76sid3windrAanchir
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,959
    Which parts are you thinking of?
    Lyichir
    oldtodd33 said:
    Which parts are you thinking of?
    Another good question. Even the more specialized parts I see in it don't strike me as "couldn't use elsewhere"—of course, it'd be hard to use ALL of the unusual parts in a single set if it were much smaller, but I can't see a single one that couldn't find use in any other set, especially considering more "offbeat", colorful themes like Ninjago, Elves, or Nexo Knights.
  • RecceRecce 10,171km away from BillundMember Posts: 645
    edited August 1
    I think this reasoning is valid.

After building my own version I do find that this has got to be THE set (throughout all the years) that utilizes many many unrelated parts to form a big structure.

Some might say it's a creative process, others might see it as clearing stocks of particular parts, especially specific printed parts which otherwise couldn't be used outside of its original theme.

I think both are true, definitely as a business there is always pressure to clear old stocks in warehouse as they continuously introduced new parts that required more storage spaces in their warehouses. Inventory control has to be tight.

If they found a way to use all the old stocks, it stands to reason they can pass on the lower cost to the consumers which I think is what had happened in the Ninjago City set.

In the end, we get to buy a nice big and unique model, customers are happy, TLG is happy (that they can clear large chucks of identical parts in a single set), everybody wins.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,052
    I don't think they have enough 'old stocks' to cause a backlog needing a project designed around eliminating them. Before the Lego company nearly went under they were producing way too many parts in way too many colors without consideration to the cost. They now budget how many parts a new product can have made or printed or recolored. The likely scenario here is a combination of wanting to use lots of wacky color combos and unique parts because of the nature of the design aesthetic and then utilizing the colors already in production from other sets wherever it makes sense to do so. 
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAstluxgmonkey76sid3windrLyichirAanchir
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 519
    Is this why the price is so low for a set so large?
    In what universe is USD300 a low price? 
    flordgmonkey76MegtheCat
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 514
    Yeah, I really doubt the "using up old stock" theory. If they had produced too many of anything, it would be whole sets, and they ain't gonna unbox thousands of sets so they can repackage the parts. They may be TLG, but I'm guessing they don't have any reason to have the sort of part sorting equipment to deal with mixed parts. Much more likely they just tell designers to make maximum use of parts already in production. They may even try to find other uses for odd parts so that they don't have to retire a part too quickly. It's probably quite costly to bring a part back into production once it's been retired. 
    LyichirAanchirCurvedRoadPlate
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 408
    It is certainly a "deal" for the part count.

But no one is going to comment on him buying four?  I'm new here, maybe in the future reading something like this won't shock me as much.  But for now......just dang.
    LEGO_Dad77Jern92sid3windrMegtheCat
    edited August 1
    Hanzo said:

But no one is going to comment on him buying four?  I'm new here, maybe in the future reading something like this won't shock me as much.  But for now......just dang.
    Given what a glorious mish-mash it is (and I mean that in the complimentary sense), I'd think it would be fairly easy and fun to MOD it instead of buying multiples.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,831
    I only brought this up because as @Recce said, there are many unrelated parts, such as the neon orange window glass or the white panther head piece just to give small examples. I've worked with companies before that even after careful budgeting, have a lot of liability material left over that is used in projects created just for said material. Just something that interests me is all, and something I've seen a lot more since I've started parting out sets and watching production patterns. 

Hanzo said:

Really, it's between four of these sets or the new rumoured UCS Millennium Falcon. My plan was to buy four, sell off the figures from three to get some money back, and then customize all the shops and reshape everything into my own massive 20,000 piece display.

Jern92 said:
    Is this why the price is so low for a set so large?
    In what universe is USD300 a low price? 
    Ha ha, $300 is not low, but if someone offered you an ounce of pure gold for $700, you'd call it a steal.
    catwrangler
    ^ I almost hope there's no MF, I'd like to see that :)
    bobabricksgmonkey76sid3windr
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,206
    So is it possible that Ninjago City was made as a set to get rid of many old liability parts laying around? Is this why the price is so low for a set so large?
    I strongly doubt it. Why would they spend time and money designing such a large set, including loads of new figures with new prints, around getting rid of a few parts in bulk. Plus, isn't something similar (but obviously bigger) going to appear in the movie? So it would need to be written into the movie too. The physical value of the parts to them are pretty small, plus they could easily get rid of them at more than their cost through other channels (such as putting them at a cheap price on BnP, or just dumping them through PAB walls).

They will also have a problem basing a new set on the availablilty of unused old parts. The maximum number of sets that can produced is then equal to the the number of the part that they have minimum of spare parts for each part they are reusing. If the set became a hit, they'd be limited to the number they could produce, or they'd have to start manufacturing the old parts again - and why would they do that if they went to all the expense of designing and manufacturing a set and writing those parts into a movie just to get rid of the parts in the first place.

My theory. This is a set based on a movie. The movie is based on the lego series. So they have included some references to past waves of sets as Easter Eggs for the long-time Ninjago fans to spot.
    stluxbandit778sid3windrgmonkey76Lyichirbgl_84bobabricksJonathanChau
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,515
    Yes it's all scraps. Please send all the spare pieces to me and I will dispose of them for you.
    sid3windrgmonkey76bandit778bgl_84M_Bosspreverebobabricks
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,308
    I'm really struggling to identify any "parts from past seasons that obviously couldn't be used in any other set".

It looks a very random mix of parts but that just seems to be down to source material (even ignoring the Ninjago movie it has a look of some of the random Chinatown areas in cities I've visited which is quite an eclectic look) and nothing to do with part availability.
    gmonkey76stluxMynattbobabricks
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 952
    Are there many new parts in the set? Maybe the design team was told to use existing parts to avoid the costs of making new molds. Once a part is in production the overall unit cost of that part drops with every piece produced, so it makes perfect sense that they can reduce the price per piece by using parts that were already in production.
    Are there many new parts in the set? Maybe the design team was told to use existing parts to avoid the costs of making new molds. Once a part is in production the overall unit cost of that part drops with every piece produced, so it makes perfect sense that they can reduce the price per piece by using parts that were already in production.
    No new molds that are exclusive to this set, but then again that's true for the vast majority of D2C sets including modular buildings. The set includes a bunch of the new 2x2 plates with two studs, some of the new 1x3 jumpers, and is one of two 2017 sets (the other being the Ninjago Movie Juniors set) to include the new Asian fence piece.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 828
    Plus the designs for the movie would have been settled two or three years ago, which is a long time to hold on to parts supposedly lying around clogging up warehouse space.
    gmonkey76MattDawson