Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

August 2017 monthly building contest - 16 x 16!

MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 968
We've had a lot of challenges over the years - size, theme, time period, parts count... but this month's is a little different...

For those who don't want to watch the video, the objective is simple: build something (house, restaurant, cinema, etc) on a 16 x 16 footprint (that will fit on plate part no 91405 or baseplate part no 3867). However, that's a bit "woolly" so here's some clarifications:

1. You are unrestricted on parts count
2. You are unrestricted on building height
3. Pavements/sidewalks do not have to fit into the 16 x 16 footprint
4. The entire building's functions (e.g. a restaurant will need customer seating, a kitchen, locker room for staff, toilet, storeroom, waste storage etc) have to fit into the building.
5. Detail items (air conditioning units and signage, for example) are often outside of the main building size and ergo these items may extend beyond the 16 x 16 footprint; however, abuse of this allowance may forfeit the entry. 
6. You cannot built a 16 x 16 ground floor and then widen it beyond this size for subsequent floors!
7. If going for modular connectivity, these have to be 4 studs in from the end, as per the Lego Digital Designer example below.

Good luck to the entrants, and the winner will be announced during the early part of September.

Find out more about the monthly contests here: http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/23887/ongoing-monthly-building-contests#latest
GothamConstructionCobandit778stluxMynattBumblepantsBillyBricks84SalamalexricecakevizzitorTheOriginalSimonBsnowhitiecatwranglerLostInTranslationLegopantsPeteMkhmellymelsid3windrrdflegomadforLEGO

Comments

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,554
    Love it! I already know what I'm going to build. :)
    MattDawson
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 304
    *cracks knuckles* Bring it on. To the bricks!
    MattDawson
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,884
    Finally managed to watch your video, nice to put a face to a username. Nice challenge. Will put the thinking cap on.
    MattDawsonGothamConstructionCo
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 766
    Love it, and a good challenge in itself.
    snowhitie
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 968
    A SHOWER?!? You mean... figs can be clean? 
    snowhitiegmonkey76sid3windr
    @TheOriginalSimonB Thanks, I find it somtimes helps creativity to get yourself doing things you wouldn't normally think about.

@MattDawson Haha :) I always get complained at for trying to make my Lego houses to 'realistic', a sink at the toilet, curtains and no view of the shower, at least I've given up on trying to provide a lot of storage space (or walk-in) closets ;)

I think after everything @Legopants sigfig went throught lately, he can definilty use one!
    LegopantsTheOriginalSimonBstluxbandit778gmonkey76sid3windr
    As I've just been out to buy a set specifically for parts to use in my entry (first time I've done that!) here's a mid-month bump.
    snowhitieMattDawsonBumblepants
    2 weeks exactly till final entry day!
    snowhitie
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,712
    that's ok if the roof is 17 x 16? there's an overhang, like in many modulars, such as brick bank or detective office.
  • thenateraterthenaterater UtahMember Posts: 2
    Are buildings from any time period welcome (castle, pirates, wild west, etc.) or is the contest simply for modern buildings?
    So long as it fits 16x16 I'd say you were fine.
    MattDawson
    @Fauch
    I'm going to  say yes. I should also point out many cafe's and shops etc. do this anyway, though they are mostly fold-in or fold-away awnings, so I'll allow one stud. 
    @thenaterater
    Yes, anything old or new, although as per the rules everything that the building needs to function should be within the 16x16 confines.  
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 456
    Awesome entry! I really love the wooden frame that goes round the exterior of the house. Also well done to all that is on the first floor with everything you were able to put in! Much more spacious than the one I'm working on.
    rdflego
    interestingly I'm building a house with wooden frames too.
    actually, I began working on it a few months ago. of course I didn't give myself any restriction, I just had a bunch of 16 x 16 plates and what seemed to be just enough bricks to build a decent building on such a footprint. this contest is a nice coincidence.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,369
    That frozen yogurt store employee oozes friendliness! No wonder they had to make it a drive-thru as people didn't want to get out of their car to order frozen yogurt there ;)
    BumblepantsSalamalex
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 3,949
    stlux said:
    That frozen yogurt store employee oozes friendliness! No wonder they had to make it a drive-thru as people didn't want to get out of their car to order frozen yogurt there ;)
    It is just an angry would-be-patron upset there is nothing to be found inside :)
    stluxmak0137
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 456
    edited August 24
    Awesome use of the brick separators! Cool technique for the roof @Bumblepants
    stlux
    edited August 26
    ^ great job! I love it. Like how it hinges open, I always build so you can lift each floor but it's just because I'm too chicken to attempt this way.

All the wooden details are great and love the details in the house. Very lovely!

Really good and very different entries overall this month...
    stluxmsanders
    ^^lovely. Reminds me of zermatt.
    edited August 29
    7 entries so far and only 3 days left including today!
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 396
    Hmm...I think I might enter. 
    Are Minecraft themed entries allowed??
    Are Minecraft themed entries allowed??
    Yep, although as their requirement footprint is a lot smaller (you can fit everything into a 3 x 3 footprint interior space effectively in game, even less if stacked ) it'll be an interesting entry. :)
    So it would be 6x6 interior in Lego?
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 206
    @TheOriginalSimonB thanks a lot, it took a while to get right!
    Well done @msanders, loved your building and so impressive this was your first go!

It was a really good challenge indeed, sometimes setting very strict restrictions makes it more creative I find. Was so impressed with the entries this month, amazing how much can be packed in a little house.
    sklambGothamConstructionCo
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 206
    Congrats @msanders, you deserved it. Thanks for the kind words said about my build too!
    snowhitie
    my model was of course the best by very far, but I would have picked msanders next :p

at least it motivated me to work on my moc, not sure it would be completed by now otherwise (except for the windows I'll probably have to bricklink someday)
    snowhitieMattDawsonFowlerBricks
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 742
    Thanks guys! And thank you @MattDawson for my kind gift. I'm a big lover of Lego Dimensions and I'm looking forward to becoming Sensei Wu. 

Thanks again for a great competition! 
    snowhitieMattDawsonFowlerBricks