Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Unusual Lego Castle retail display unit....Ever Seen One Like This?

cojiecojie IrelandMember Posts: 2
Hi guys and gals,

Posting this just to share with everybody, I have had it since I was a child and only recently took it out from storage.

Its a retail display model, all glued together, and is very tall 93cm, 45cm wide.  Its got some lovely features like the little cottage perched halfway up above a staircase and some dungeons and hallways all culminating in a jail at the very top with the princess trapped inside.

Please let me know what you think of it and if you have ever seen one before :)

Jay
teal93mr2stluxlarge88BumblepantsOnebricktoomanykhmellymeldmcc0sid3windrricecakeWolfpackBanditsonsofscevamustang69GoodCoffeeJoeyAllBrickMynattdavee123BlueTacoMooreFXdavetheoxygenmanJohnyk668bobabrickscatwranglerDaraghlentilmdtvandysnowhitieLEGO_Dad77GoldchainsAddicted2OxygenFowlerBricksRoobotmadforLEGOomniumchuckp

Comments

• JCoolJCool Member Posts: 33
    That's really cool.  Never seen anything quite like it for castle before.  

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,879
    I saw one a lot like this on Ebay several months ago in the U.S.. The seller wanted something like 800-1000 for it but it didn't sell as far as I know.
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,281
    Soo pretty, like sunshine...
  • davetheoxygenmandavetheoxygenman Colorado, USAMember Posts: 94
    @Istokg - any info you can provide on this one?

@cojie - thanks for sharing!!
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 791
    Huh-- I can't find any elements in there that were made after 1978, so it's probably a good guess that this was made in 1978 or later.  And since the grey castles took over in 1984, it's probably between 1978-1983.  However, one interesting thing is this door at the top of the tower:

According to BrickLink, that element was only ever released in Minitalia sets!  Not that it necessarily means that it was made in Italy.  As I recall, @istokg has said that LEGO produced some of the Minitalia elements itself (rather than producing them solely in Italy), hence LEGO might well have had some of the doors floating around in its model shops, waiting to get added to a display like this.  Any idea where it came from? (I would assume Europe or the UK somewhere?)

Clearly it's been raided for any minifig parts, as well-- I would assume that none of the heads were glued on, but that the feet and torsos probably were?

Very interesting detail-work, too.  It uses jumper plates to give a half-stud offset to the merlons here and there, and uses the base to the steering wheel element as well!

DaveE
    catwrangler
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 519
    This is very clearly a "Return to Oz" moc of some kind...

Switchfoot55SumoLegobobabrickscatwranglersnowhitieLEGO_Dad77khmellymel
  • cojiecojie IrelandMember Posts: 2
    davee123 said:
    Huh-- I can't find any elements in there that were made after 1978, so it's probably a good guess that this was made in 1978 or later.  And since the grey castles took over in 1984, it's probably between 1978-1983.  However, one interesting thing is this door at the top of the tower:

According to BrickLink, that element was only ever released in Minitalia sets!  Not that it necessarily means that it was made in Italy.  As I recall, @istokg has said that LEGO produced some of the Minitalia elements itself (rather than producing them solely in Italy), hence LEGO might well have had some of the doors floating around in its model shops, waiting to get added to a display like this.  Any idea where it came from? (I would assume Europe or the UK somewhere?)

Clearly it's been raided for any minifig parts, as well-- I would assume that none of the heads were glued on, but that the feet and torsos probably were?

Very interesting detail-work, too.  It uses jumper plates to give a half-stud offset to the merlons here and there, and uses the base to the steering wheel element as well!

DaveE
    So the castle would have been definitely from around the early 1980's, it was on display in a Toymaster (same shop may have been an independent retailer at the time) shop in the South East of Ireland.  There are one or two damaged parts on it but it really is in the same condition in which I originally received it, its remarkable that the there hasn't been more discolouration on the white bricks in particular.

If anybody wants more pics don't hesitate to ask.
    catwrangler
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,523
    This is really delightful - such an attractive, imaginative build, and then there's that touch of surreality lent to it by the headless minifigures... I'd want to build a whole medieval village to go around it! 
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,865
    edited September 2
    Thanks for the heads up..... :-)

Those black 9 light doors were indeed LEGO Minitalia "style" parts.  However LEGO sets # 1 (Italy only) and # 2 (Italy and Japan only.... but also labeled #1902 in Japan)... had the Minitalia windows and doors in black (along with green Minitalia shutters).  Those 2 sets were produced 1977-80.

Here's the # 2 (Italian) and # 1902 (Japanese) sets that have the black Minitalia doors and windows.

That Minitalia 9 light door is different from the regular LEGO 4 light door....

Also... all the Minitalia parts were not produced in Italy (nor Japan) as earlier thought.  They were all produced in a town not far from Bullund Denmark called Kolding.  The non-ABS plastic Minitalia style parts was made by another company in Kolding that TLG contracted to make the Minitalia parts, which were exported.

Since the black Minitalia style windows/doors were only used in actual LEGO Sets # 1 and # 2 (# 1902), these black elements were sent to Billund for packaging... and apparently also for glued display models!  :-)

Although this glued model could have been made as early as 1978, when the 375 Yellow Castle (yellow steep slopes) were introduced, it is also possible that this model could have been produced in the early 1980s... and these Minitalia style doors may have been leftover parts... which TLG didn't want to throw away!! 

Addicted2OxygencatwranglermadforLEGOstluxricecakeomniumchuckpMaffyD