Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

2017 Monthly Building Contest - September: Zooming vehicles.

snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,793
edited September 1 in Building and Techniques

So I was breaking my head over what to do for this month's competition. I set the contest in September last year and made you make your desks tidy so wanted something totally different.

I actually got inspired by a firestation MOC I'm doing. My husband doesn't think the Lego fire engines are as realistic as the ones that drive around in Europe, so I tried to make another one. I'm not the best at making vehicles but I had fun and found it a good challenge. I used certain elements of existing fire trucks (like pieces with stickers) but I made a bigger cab, and made the back more robust and truck like rather than just a ladder at the back.

So the contest is as follows, make a realistic public service vehicle. An ambulance, a fire engine, a postal delivery van, a dustbin lorry, all possible. I'm giving you some restrictions though. I sometimes find restrictions help you get going ;) It needs to fit a minifigue. Dimensions, I want it to be able to drive down a Lego street, so preferably not wider than 6 studs. So you have to make it a bit realistic, but still able to fit in a Lego setting. Like mine, I didn't make the cab wide enough for 2 minifigures to sit next to each other.

Since vehicles look very different in different countries, feel free to link to a picture of what you are trying to obtain. I will post my example right after this one.

You can have as many entries as you like, even if it's only a simple one or your first MOC, more entries might give other people ideas and get those creative juices flowing. Also, if your kids want to take part and make one for themselves, feel free to post those too, I love seeing what they come up with.

The Rules in short:

- make a public service vehicle as realistic as possible but still in 'city' size

- your model must be built for the contest, not an existing MOC

- add a picture/link to the vehicle that inspired your entry

- maximum three photographs per entry only - it helps the thread load better/at all! Plus your inspiration pic  However feel free to upload any extra images to Flickr etc.

- a minifigure must fit in the vehicle

- you must be able to drive it down a 'Lego' street, preferably about 6 studs wide, but will allow up to 8 (roads seem to have widend last years)

- you can enter as many different models as you like so long as you make a separate post for each

- seeing as there are many time zones, the contest closes at midnight on the latest time zone there is on September 30th. So midnight in Honolulu (countdown here).  I'll announce the winner in the beginning of October.

The Prize:

I'll have a look at your wishlist/themes you like and send you a little surprise. And off course, the honour of being named the winner!

Any questions? Anything dubious? PM or leave a message below. I look forward to see what you come up with. 

-- Does it look fun to come up with an idea yourself? Volunteers can speak up here.
Casper_vd_KorfricecakeMynattstluxAllBrickSpeedman29Mr_Cross

Comments

• TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 737
    Excellent concept. I did a version of my work van for a previous month so am going to have to think hard on this.
    snowhitie
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 536
    Never entered one of these before, looks fun. That fire engine is spot on. I've just pulled apart #3221 as its too long for my little LEGO street. Its going to get rebuilt as a non articulated version. Does a LEGO delivery count as a public service?
    snowhitie
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,793

@Speedman29 A Lego delivery is definitely a public service in my book ;)

Honestly, feel free to interpret the 'public service' broadly, a chimney sweep van is good too :)

Look forward to see what you all come up with.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 568
    a vehicle contest the day after i clean up from car mocs... gah! it's just too bad those weren't public service vehicles.
    ^ yup it's allowed :)

Very pleased to have two entries after 4 days, good start. Not going to comment on the models, might be more fun if I keep my opinions secret until the end result!
    SirBrickalotOfLego
    After a good start to the month, things seemed to have been stalled a bit, guess everyone was pressing refresh on the Lego shop...

Anyway we're past halfway through the month so get building if you want to enter for a chance to win a prize!
    GallardoLUMaffyD