Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

VIP Card Number or Queue Place Card Number?

So after all the hype and spending a fantastic 14hours queuing for my MF I now have a question to put to anyone who cares to comment. 

While we queued we were handed a "business card" that stated a number out of 150 which was to let us know our position in the queue. We assumed the first 100 would then get the corresponding VIP cards and then in turn purchase the set that effectively was also the corresponding number sold. So I had businesses card #17 meaning I would get #17 VIP card followed by purchasing the 17th set to be sold.

However what actually happened was as we entered the store by our queue position we headed upstairs to one of the tills to receive our VIP card which had been randomly mixed up behind the tills. To highlight this I stood at one till as LegoBoy stood at the one beside me. I received VIP card #5 while he received #88. We then joined others collecting scratch cards and collected our prize from that. We then headed downstairs to either join one queue to collect an unsigned box or the other queue to collect a set and have it signed. 

By the time we got to have our set signed it was impossible to tell how many physical sets had already been given out.

So the question is if you had your set signed and numbered would you of gone with either the original queue position card or the VIP card number?? 

Comments

• caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 261
    edited September 15
    VIP card number.  #41

Had card #58 in the queue, was considering dropping back / switching cards if they were to match - 69 or 77 were my preferred numbers (other than 7!).

VIP card 77 didn't want to swap later!  ;)  My old race number / wedding anniversary; to him, year of SW ANH release, so just as special.

DarthMorlAdzbadboysnowhitiekiki180703
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,478
    While I agree that it should have been quite easy to make the numbers match the tickets I think that the cards will be rare enough that unless you had hold of the card with 113800001 on it they are all going to be something to cherish, regardless of the number, as a reminder of your perseverance in getting hold of one (apart from the person selling theirs on ebay that is) as no one else apart from the first 100 will have one. 

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,204
    Whereas @DarthMorl ;states the business cards were to indicate your place in the queue, I instead suggest that was just incidental as they came out of the box in numerical order as they were dished out down the line.  I think the cards are to state, as was said to us by two employees at the time, that I was to have set number 23 of 150.  Of course the physical sets themselves were unmarked when they were purchased and of course the order in which they were bought is irrelevant, but I think my set number is 23 of 150 regardless.

What is eating me up is that I had 88 of 100 (my random VIP number) written on my box rather than 23 of 150 and in hindsight I think it was the wrong call.

I'll get over it, but Darth and I were having a debate about it on the way into work this morning.  I suggested he created a discussion to enquire how others viewed it.  Darth thinks the right thing to do was have the VIP marked on the box whereas I think it would have made more sense to put the business card number - set number in my eyes.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,478
    @Legoboy
    I get where your coming from and if I'm totally honest, I would be miffed if I was in the same boat. Perhaps it would have been better to have 1 person giving out the 1138 VIP cards in the numerical order the business cards were handed out to you after going through the checkout so you got the designated number you should have.

I can also see it from a purely collectable point of view.
    There were 100 sets that are matched with the special VIP card number and without the card, the set isn't as special, as anyone could write on the box with a gold pen but with the card you have proof that it's the real deal.
    It's something that I don't get about the ebay sellers selling either the signed Falcon without the card or just the card on its own as without the card there is no proof that what they have is one of the first sets sold.
    The plus side of this is that the more that are sold without the cards, the rarer your matching set will become.
    omniumFireheartkiki180703
  • DarthMorlDarthMorl Member Posts: 332
    Totally agree with @bandit778 that LEGO should of handed out the VIP cards to match the queue cards. I disagree with @Legoboy that the queue card has any bearing on which set we got as the simple fact is it doesn't. If I am totally honest neither card has any bearing on the actual set we received. The set I was given was not the 17th handed out or the 5th. Maybe LEGO did this intentionally? Otherwise why not either pre number the boxes or like 10179 add a certificate 
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 3,999
    Is it possibly being overthought?

You had a great experience that bits of paper (the business card) or plastic (the VIP card) really have no bearing on. It was documented and shared which I'm sure many here enjoyed. Most importantly you have the memories and numbers are not relevant to those.

LegopantsDarthMorlShibLostInTranslationgmonkey76davetheoxygenmannwr122drdavewatfordkiki180703
    ^ Not so much overthought but just nice to have it settled in my OCD of a mind.

As you say, the day was amazing, the atmosphere was incredible and then topped off by meeting and standing alongside Jens and Michael.  Something I'm not going to forget in a hurry and am extremely grateful for.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,258

You had a great experience that bits of paper (the business card) or plastic (the VIP card) really have no bearing on. It was documented and shared which I'm sure many here enjoyed. Most importantly you have the memories and numbers are not relevant to those.

My thoughts exactly... then again I don't keep many set boxes or any random promotional material so had I gone I'd have more than likely sold the number card to try and recoup the cost of the falcon...how much does that idea irritate those who are already upset about random numbers? :-P
    LegopantsLostInTranslationkiki180703
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 3,999
    edited September 16
    @Legoboy Only you are brave enough to step inside your mind and resolve that conflict ;-)

Can't believe you didn't go with 23 though given your affinity with that number already. If you want it to be 23 though, then it is. 
    Legoboykiki180703
    ^Exactly.  Never again am I listening to Morl.
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 210
    edited September 16
    Interesting, the Lego website now has a Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon VIP Card page which states that the cards they will ship will be printed with the owners name...but the number will be the SAME as your existing VIP Card number. Not sure if everyone can see this though?
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 1,771
    edited September 16
    ^I think it's a good idea and should help prevent the reselling of them.
    bandit778Legoboykiki180703
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,489
    I've got 40 for the line number and 20 for the VIP card, not bad.
    omniumkiki180703
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles LondonMember Posts: 48
    edited September 17
    For me the queue number is what counts. I was 093/150. So I was sold the 93rd set in the UK (maybe the world?). I didn't get the queue card stapled to the receipt either - it's in mint condition, and I consider it my "certificate".

So this is what's written on the box.

The VIP card is a separate thing, and aside from its collectors value, means nothing to me. I got number 17. It was random. Big whoop.

This is cemented in my mind when I see them selling separately on eBay, as if they were unrelated things. One of the VIP cards is currently going for almost £700, with another at £300.

Set number 93, VIP card 17. Of course it would have been nice if they matched. :) So if anyone has 93 and is willing to trade for 17, it'd be greatly appreciated!
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 272
    edited September 17
    I was 87 in the queue, got card 99. Neither number means much to me, except 99 is more satisfying.

@Legoboy I would have had #23 written on my box if I'd though about it, but having the number matching your VIP card makes more sense as that's the thing that is actually the collectable and worth money.

It's @Adzbadboy getting queue card #40 that I'm jealous of. Equally, whoever got VIP card 40 is a luck so-and-so :-)

but the number will be the SAME as your existing VIP Card number.
    So, if I ring Customer Services and get them to register my #99 VIP card, will they send me a new black VIP card with the same number *and* my name printed on it??? That would be awesome!
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,489
    That would've been great to also get 40 on the VIP card, but for me the line number 40 is beyond satisfying for me.
    omniumkiki180703
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,016
    Reading through this thread it sounds like each of you that were lucky enough to go have individually decided what you want your number to be, based upon which one you like better.

I know we have to debate everything on Brickset, but isn't it fine to just leave it that way? Ya'll were lucky enough to go in the first place :)
    LegopantsDarthMorlkiki180703
    ^ There's no right or wrong.  It's not a debate.  Just thought we'd open up our private discussion to the forum by asking "What would you do?"
    For me the queue number is what counts. I was 093/150. So I was sold the 93rd set in the UK (maybe the world?). I didn't get the queue card stapled to the receipt either - it's in mint condition, and I consider it my "certificate".

So this is what's written on the box.

The VIP card is a separate thing, and aside from its collectors value, means nothing to me. I got number 17. It was random. Big whoop.

This is cemented in my mind when I see them selling separately on eBay, as if they were unrelated things. One of the VIP cards is currently going for almost £700, with another at £300.

Set number 93, VIP card 17. Of course it would have been nice if they matched. :) So if anyone has 93 and is willing to trade for 17, it'd be greatly appreciated!
    Thing is you most definitely where not sold the 93rd set so all that card tells you is your position in the cueue in my humble opinion:)
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 710
    If it's not the first or the last, does it truly matter?  Though in the case of @caterham7 I can see the significance of the card he got.  If not happy with the number given, sell the card on eBay for a tidy profit if you don't like it, I am sure someone will pounce on it.  Just my two cents.
    DarthMorl
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 248
    Someone was selling vip card 6 with set 006/150 on eBay, so was this just random or did they manage to do a swap on the night.
    i think having different numbers makes it nice, as it’s unique.

wont be long before eBay is awash with “Signed” 75192... and copies of the non water marked photos from eBay of the event being used to show its certified. So unless it’s the whole package (VIP card, wrist band, till receipt, queue card included) buyers need to be cautious.. 
    Legoboyomniumkiki180703
    Fireheart said:
    Someone was selling vip card 6 with set 006/150 on eBay, so was this just random or did they manage to do a swap on the night.
    i think having different numbers makes it nice, as it’s unique.
    Well, you could ask for whatever you wanted written on the boxes, so chances are he just asked to put 006/150 on the box to match his VIP card.

I'd be curious to know his actual queue position (ie. see the queue card).
    omniumkiki180703
    Just saw the listing. He does indeed have queue card 006 of 150, along with VIP card 006. He was either incredibly lucky, or did a swap.

Either way, I am very jealous. :)
    omniumAdzbadboykiki180703
    I can’t believe how much some of these are selling for! I guess a set with a numbered VIP card, cueue card, wrist band etc are fairly rare but even so!! Wonder what my signed 10179 is worth now :) 
    omniumkiki180703
    ^ is it MISB 10179 signed? Or empty box signed?
    As carrying a 10179 and the 75192 out of the shop on the night must been a challenge...
    It’s an opened one so empty box on the night but even that was a challenge :)
  • clickabrickclickabrick SuffolkMember Posts: 6
    I have to say, that was a genius move to have done the research on who was signing and to bring the original 10179 box safely for signing. The reaction was definitely deserved.
    Props!
    DarthMorlLegoboyAdzbadboydrdavewatfordkiki180703
    ^ I'll take credit for that then.  ;)
    bandit778kiki180703
  • clickabrickclickabrick SuffolkMember Posts: 6
    About the black Star Wars VIP card, which I wasn’t early enough to get one, does anyone reckon the mass versions being given for every MF purchase will basically have the same card design and number format, but be numbered over 100, i.e. 1138#####?
    If so, it’s be quite bummer because TLG could have done the full 001-150 on launch night. 
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,003
    Shib said:

My thoughts exactly... then again I don't keep many set boxes or any random promotional material <SNIP>
    Also my thoughts exactly, @Shib, and I DO keep all my set boxes, bags, random promo material and everything else.... I guess what this reinforces is that however absurd my collecting habits might seem, I can always gain solace by knowing that someone out there has it even worse than I do.... ;-)
    ShibLegopantsLostInTranslationkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,258
    ^I think that we all do that sometimes, anyone points out any odd collector behaviour "well I know this guy online who...." ;-)
    LostInTranslation
    Legoboy said:
    Funny I’m sure it was me that talked you in to going to get yours signed ;)
    omnium
    About the black Star Wars VIP card, which I wasn’t early enough to get one, does anyone reckon the mass versions being given for every MF purchase will basically have the same card design and number format, but be numbered over 100, i.e. 1138#####?
    If so, it’s be quite bummer because TLG could have done the full 001-150 on launch night. 
    I believe the “normal” black VIP cards will have your name on them but no numbers
    clickabrick
    DarthMorl said:
    Legoboy said:
    It was, but it was I that initially intended taking my #10179.  You convincing me to join you just gave me extra weight to carry.  YOU!
    edited September 22
    DarthMorl said:
    I believe the “normal” black VIP cards will have your name on them but no numbers
    Sorry to be contrary, but I understood that our existing* VIP card numbers would be printed on the new black VIP cards that are delivered in the post, in addition to our name.

So, like a normal replacement VIP card, except black.

I'd expect the design to be the same as the limited edition ones, but I'd love to have a different design.

* the one used to buy the set
    DarthMorl said:
    It's stated the Lego VIP site that the black VIP cards will have your name and personal VIP number printed on them.

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Exclusive

"Will the VIP Number on this card be different from my regular VIP card?

Existing members will keep their existing number. It will be printed on both their original card and the Star Wars™ collectible one. They can be used interchangeably."

omnium
    Exactly, @Mr_Hobbles

And while here might be 20,000 ish of these new black VIP cards, I will still be treating mine very carefully. My existing VIP card is trashed just from being in my wallet. I might use an oyster card holder for my new one.
    DarthMorl
    Legoboy said:
    DarthMorl said:
    Legoboy said:
    It was, but it was I that initially intended taking my #10179.  You convincing me to join you just gave me extra weight to carry.  YOU!
    Extra weight to carry!..... you made that poor lego employee carry most of your stuff back to the car park and then let her return to the shop all alone!!
  • OldmanChudleyOldmanChudley SurreyMember Posts: 17
    My queue card was 27, my collectible VIP was #13 .... it's playing havoc with my OCD
    Legoboyomnium
  • gunther.schnitzelgunther.schnitzel Member Posts: 92
    edited September 28
    Number Six: Who is Number One?
    Number Two: You are Number Six.
    OldmanChudleycaterham7Legoboyomnium
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 261
    edited September 28

Number Six: Who is Number One?
    Number Two: You are Number Six.

Would have been happy with #6!

But then I'd have to change my user name to Lotus7...

From tracking this thread and the eBay sales, I can see the following VIP cards / queue numbers being taken:
    VIP#  Q#   User
    2     2    bric15 (ebay) 5 17 DarthMorl 6 24 hype_pluguk (ebay) 13 27 OldmanChudley 17 93 Mr_Hobbles 20 40 Adzbadboy 41 58 caterham7 52 38
    grahahenderso25 (ebay) 70 47 jedimaster808 (ebay) 74 51 greybeard69 (ebay) 80 kidults (ebay) 88 23 Legoboy 99 87 omnium 100 dynasty_w1 (ebay) 33 privateeye2004 (ebay) 99 silverserva3 (ebay) 8 mbo37 (ebay) 9 mbo37 (ebay) 21 leed2008lee (ebay)
    I've also seen a few more selling without VIP or Queue card numbers listed, but some vague info:
    VIP#  Q#     User
    1-15 ? andrewwaaa299 80-90 50-60 cruthen ? ? jmcj17 ? ? hoarder2016
    Let me know if you've got any other actions stashed away in your watch list or whatever and I'll update the table.

I feel quite nerdy now. Which is saying something, considering I'm an übergeek already ;)
    Legoboybandit778DarthMorlricecakesid3windrAdzbadboyFireheartsnowhitiekiki180703
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,512
    I wonder when the first Black VIP cards will come dribbling through the post. Up to 6 weeks, but will it really take that long.
    I wonder when the first Black VIP cards will come dribbling through the post. Up to 6 weeks, but will it really take that long.
    I was wondering that myself. On top of that, I wondered whether it'll just arrive in an envelope, like getting a regular VIP card, of it there'll be some flair to it. Let's face it, the limed edition VIP card pack wasn't exactly overwhelming, even if there is one going on eBay for $3000 right now (on it's own, that is). My guess is when the sky high bidders get these packs they'll probably open it and go, "Oh, it looked a lot better in the photos".

I also wonder when they'll decide what benefits they'll give to the card holders.
    edited October 3
    @omnium I too have been quite nerdy. :)

Falcons that have popped up on eBay (that I've seen):

Unknown Queue, Unknown VIP
    Unknown Queue, Unknown VIP
    Queue #150, No VIP
    Queue #96, Unknown VIP
    Unknown Queue, VIP #81
    Queue #51, VIP #74
    Queue #6, VIP #6
    Queue #142, No VIP
    Queue #21, VIP #62
    Queue #139, No VIP
    Unknown Queue, VIP #39
    Queue #90, No VIP
    Queue #24, VIP #67
    Queue #109, No VIP
    Queue #99, Unknown VIP
    Unknown Queue, VIP #100
    Queue #38, VIP #52
    Queue #33, VIP #83
    Queue #114, No VIP
    Queue #124, No VIP
    Queue #136, No VIP
    Queue #44, VIP #80
    Queue #7 (Or #8), Unknown VIP
    Queue #2, VIP #2
    Queue #107, No VIP
    Queue #47, VIP #70

Cards (without the Falcon itself):

Queue card #60
    Unknown VIP (Number stated as between 1-15)
    Unknown VIP (Number stated as between 55-70)
    omnium
    omnium said:
    From tracking this thread and the eBay sales, I can see the following VIP cards / queue numbers being taken:
    VIP#  Q#   User
    2     2    bric15 (ebay) 5 17 DarthMorl 6 24 hype_pluguk (ebay) 13 27 OldmanChudley 17 93 Mr_Hobbles 20 40 Adzbadboy 41 58 caterham7 52 38
    grahahenderso25 (ebay) 70 47 jedimaster808 (ebay) 74 51 greybeard69 (ebay) 80 kidults (ebay) 88 23 Legoboy 99 87 omnium 100 dynasty_w1 (ebay) 33 privateeye2004 (ebay) 99 silverserva3 (ebay) 8 mbo37 (ebay) 9 mbo37 (ebay) 21 leed2008lee (ebay)
    I've also seen a few more selling without VIP or Queue card numbers listed, but some vague info:
    VIP#  Q#     User
    1-15 ? andrewwaaa299 80-90 50-60 cruthen ? ? jmcj17 ? ? hoarder2016
    Let me know if you've got any other actions stashed away in your watch list or whatever and I'll update the table.

I feel quite nerdy now. Which is saying something, considering I'm an übergeek already ;)
    Add VIP 61, Q 92 to Fireheart.
    Thanks @Fireheart, I've added it to my local list, so it'll appear next time I push it out to this thread.
    On eBay currently there is a seller with VIP #98 and queue card #122 ? I thought they only gave out the VIP to the first 100?
    ^ Interesting.

I did wonder if suppose queue #101 managed to get upstairs and through the tills before number #100, if #101 would be given a VIP card or whether the shop assistant only gave VIPs 1-100.  People behind me in the queue got past the tills before I did.

Did they just hand them out on purchase until none were left or they check everybody's queue position before handing over the VIP?  Either way, #122 is a bit of a stretch to be purchasing that far out of order.