Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Numbered Bags

GorillaYetiGorillaYeti MinneapolisMember Posts: 5
I typically don't purchase and build too many lego sets, though in the past year I've gotten the Saturn V and collector's Millennium Falcon.  The numbered bags are fairly new to me having grown up and done most of my lego building in the 80's.  I greatly prefer to just dump the whole pile out and search through as I go.  This may prove to be a bit of a crux with the Millennium Falcon as having an area big enough for that pile may be hard to come by.  

Anyway, just wondering if anybody else still prefers the "Big Pile" method to opening and building from individual bags?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,804
    A lot of people do but unless you're an extreme masochist I'd advise against doing it for the Falcon. It takes long enough to build as it is: if you have to search for bits as well you'll be looking at 30-40 hours I reckon.
  • GorillaYetiGorillaYeti MinneapolisMember Posts: 5
    That's kind of how I was feeling about it.  Was hoping that I could easily break it up by the interior boxes into quarters but the bags in the boxes aren't sequential.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 744
    I know there's been another topic about this recently, but I was thinking of this only yesterday - I was building #31065 (one of the Creator townhouses), which is a dump-everything-out sort of affair without numbered bags.  I must admit that I actually found the build a little frustrating as a consequence - I do rather hate parts-hunting, for me that's not really much of the fun of it.  

So yay for numbered bags!  If I were ever to buy the MF I'd be thankful for it - it's one thing to hunt for specific parts in a big heap of colours, quite another to be looking for a part when everything is the same!
    snowhitiesid3windr
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 564
    For sure, the larger the set, the more helpful it is to have those numbered bags.  Back in the 80's, you rarely saw individual sets with more than 400 pieces, right?  Today, that's an average, middle-sized set for any theme; the flagship sets are usually well over 1000 pieces, and let's not even start on the Star Wars monsters or modulars (or one-offs like GB Headquarters or Simpsons house)...
    Lyichirstlux
    I guess personally I enjoy searching through the pile and finding little gems of pieces and wondering how they'll fit in later.  

Obviously there isn't much to compare the Falcon to as far as number of parts thinking back as a kid the biggest sets I probably had were Black Monarch's Castle and the model team Semi with 702 and 667 pieces respectively, so you are probably right, Oldfan, that sets are bigger and more intricate these days.  Though I have done the most recent (Force Awakens) Millennium Falcon and an AT-AT as well as the Saturn V with the "big pile" method.  If you've enough space to spread things out a bit it goes pretty well.

Still debating on this new Falcon, might just dump it all and see how it goes, crux is how long the dining room table is relegated to build status.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 586
    just as a heads up on this, I considered doing this as well for the Falcon as it's how i build my SSD years ago. ultimately i opted out of "the big pile" i just finished my 3rd day of building at a mild pace and i'm at 25 hours already. with bags numbers 13-17 left to go. so i'd expect 30+ hours total for myself using the numbers. good luck in your build what ever route you go though!
  • shaaseshaase Member Posts: 14

I'm a bit different as I maintain my own database of inventories for sets due to the fact that Lego (and Brickset), Bricklinks or Rebrickable are sometimes incomplete and can sometimes differ from my set inventories should a set have undergone a second run with improvements and have different parts.

I then check to make sure the contents of the box match my database inventory. Thus I'm dumping all the bags out and then sorting them before I get to the building process.

I haven't gotten to the Falcon yet but I guess I'll have to decide it I want to do the usual process or not...I probably will but expect to take several days to get this done.

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 405
    I do the big pile for pretty much any set under 500 parts.
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 60
    edited October 6
    Related but different Q: Last week, a BL-order came in. Parts of it were packed in (opened) Lego-bags; one of them had the number 22 on it. I was very curious as from which set this bag came, so I mailed the seller. He promptly responded "probably Ninjago City". But when I checked, NC doesn't have 22 bags; even the MF has only 17. 

Anyone who can help me in my inquisitiveness and wager a guess which set(s) has(have) bags numbered 22 (or even higher)?
    So I finally had a weekend when I could devote a large chunk of time to tackling this project.  Went with a sort of modified "big pile" building technique.  Opened all the bags in the first box, then when a bag from a new box was needed I opened and dumped all the bags in that box.  It has created quite the pile, though I was able to push previous parts to the side so I could contain my searches to a smaller portion of the pile.  As time goes on I may lose track of which bag is approximately where on the table.  

To me, the fun of Lego is in the build so having spent this much money on the set, I'm happy that the build is taking some time.  Perhaps dragged out more by not following the bags.  I've been super enjoying the build so far and have about 16 hours in.

• skypirateskypirate Member Posts: 3
    I have somebody that compulsively interrupts and distracts builds every 9 to 15 seconds. Even though my build method is to collect all of the specified parts at the beginning of a step, it's very easy for me to miss adding a part.

The great thing about the numbered bags is, it compartmentalizes the build. When I finish a section with the associated numbered bags, if there are key parts still laying around, I only have to backtrack through that section, rather than the entire build.
    Cyberdragon
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,814
    Although the non numbered bags for me does ring of nostalgia what I like about the numbered bags today is that like people have said above it's sequential and breaks it up. Sometimes I have some time in the afternoon, other times later at night and I'll tell myself "ok build bag X" during this time and then I can walk away from it without the super urge to just keep going.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,720
    When I go 'back' to an old set that doesn't have numbered bags (or a theme that doesn't use it, like Creator I think) I have an internal "Wha..?" moment and I don't know what to do. Then I take ages splitting up all the small from big in all the different colours in a jigsaw sorting tray, and then I breathe a sigh of relief and get on with building. I kinda like the sorting, but at best it is very much an appetiser to the main course of building, and I remember searching and searching for a brick back in the day, and I have no wish to repeat that, thank you very much!
    sid3windr
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 27
    edited October 17
    That pic above is going to give me nightmares! That set takes long enough as it is, why would you make it worse for yourself? I mean, building is fun, and searching is to an extent (rumaging lego is satisfying) but at the U.C.S.M.F. I'd draw the line. I mean, for sets with multiple builds, there are no (or rarely) numbered bags, so you have no choice, but for single build sets I would prefer numbered bags. (although I don't remember if I got any sets after their invention)  
  • VictorLovesToysVictorLovesToys California Member Posts: 12
    This doesn't appeal to me at all.  Too much extra time and it would be annoying, not fun to me.  Hooray for numbered bags!
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 60
    When I opened my first Modular (DO) and saw the numbered bags for the first time (just came out of my Dark Ages considering System), I was like "WTF" and threw them all in a big tub.

Big mistake. :)
    Guess I'm the only crazy one. ;)  It's nice, haven't had this many legos in front of me since dumping my tubs out on the bedroom floor as a kid to build my own creations.