Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lostinlego.com Scam?

HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 291
This site popped up in my facebook recommendations, supposedly there stock is liquidated toysrus sets, but these prices seem way too good to be true so my spidey senses are tingling.  Anyone know anything about this?

https://lostinlego.com/

Comments

• wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 467
    This absolutely has to be a scam.  Pricing in USD but payment in GBP? 3-5 day processing time?  Poor grammar?  

I would hazard a guess they're just trying to take advantage of recent toys r us news and trick people into thinking they have somehow acquired stock.  Not likely...unless it "fell off the back of a truck..."
    HanzodougtsJackad7
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 291
    Ugh, ok yeah, I didn't even notice the GBP part.  Damn scammers. 
  • shaaseshaase Member Posts: 14
    Being as I'm from Ottawa, Canada where Shopify (also based) who is the company hosting this site; was just recently accused of promoting get rich quick schemes...still not proven but makes me wonder.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shopify-citron-research-andrew-left-1.4327736

Anyone willing to take the risk of buying a set. If the someone does purchase and successfully receives their items, then I would suspect stolen goods and not a legitimate business.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 291
    From a couple of Facebook comments peoples credit cards are blocking the charges based on fraud.  I mean so many red flags I just can't do it.
    Jackad7
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,882
    The terms point to babiesearlylearning.com, which is a shopify store that hasn't been set up. So almost certainly a fake store.

Also Toys R Us (not Toy's R Us as they call them on the frontpage) has not liquidated stock in the UK, the UK company is not bankrupt. Yet they charge in GBP suggesting they are UK based.

• ThoughtsonblocksThoughtsonblocks United StatesMember Posts: 167
    Just checked out the site, has a drop down menu for different currency options including USD, all the way to check out.  Pretty limited options, 22 sets, and they all have a timer, this is ringing all the fraud bells.  I also like the ticker in the bottom corner showing other people (totally not made up!) buying sets.  
    Hanzo
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Salem, MA, USAMember Posts: 317
    I always try to live by the motto 'if it seems too good to be true, then it usually is'. Especially when it comes to Lego!
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 30
    Given the limited number, I'd say stolen goods. Another red flag is when you reload a page all the prices are lower and have cent values, then a split second later they all jump up to whole number prices and say USD on them. This suggests they had a previous page with lower prices and they've been overwriting it and increasing them to see how much they can get away with. Not sure if they would actually ship, but they would definately try to fraud your card. However, anyone want to bite with a prepaid card just to see if they'll actually ship?
    Another red flag is when you reload a page all the prices are lower and have cent values, then a split second later they all jump up to whole number prices and say USD on them. This suggests they had a previous page with lower prices and they've been overwriting it and increasing them to see how much they can get away with.
    I don't think they are doing that. When you reload, it initially shows the price in GBP (just with a $ sign) then they convert to the USD price if you have the USD selected as currency. You can see this as if you select GBP then the prices don't change. It is sloppy programming rather than price changing.
    keithsimpson
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,894
    edited October 6
    Yup.... the "if it's too good to be true" statement almost always applies.... now to get back to my correspondence to this sweet Nigerian banking widow who's husband left her $12 million and she's willing to share it with me!!  :-O  I swear Nigerian rich bankers have been dying like flies in recent years... just leaving wealthy generous widows so willing to share..... ;-)

And I also won 800 thousand Euros in the Spanish El Gordo lottery... isn't it amazing how you can win something you never entered into!!  :-D
    Legogrambandit778HanzoThoughtsonblocksJackad7GoldchainsMynattLusiferSamcatwrangler