Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Website issues

FloridasoundFloridasound Member Posts: 7
Brickset:
i am having trouble with the site tonight.  Page jumping around and many links are not working.

Please advise.

Bob Cole
rcole@floridasound.com

Comments

• MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 687
     @Floridasound
    What platform and browser are you using?
    Can confirm the same issue on my sons iPhone 4 running iOS 9.3.5. He says he noticed "the site stopped working" 2 or 3 days ago.

@Huw It might be worth checking your engagement metrics.  If this was the first time I'd ever attempted to use Brickset, I'd be leaving, never to be seen again.  I'd hate to think Brickset is missing out on traffic or reputation as it's normally such a solid platform.
  • nwr122nwr122 GlasgowMember Posts: 50
    I'm also having problems using the website on my phone (Android & Chrome). None of the links within the content are working i.e. aren't event clickable. Clicking on pictures expands but can't get to the content. Applies to both editorials and shopping posts. Working fine on my laptop
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,849
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,019
    Site is working fine for me using Safari on Mac.
  • nwr122nwr122 GlasgowMember Posts: 50
    Huw said:
    Are you logged in?
    I wasn't then but just tried again by logging and it's working fine, sorry my bad @Huw
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 687
    Definitely NOT logged in - Forgot all those details years ago!  My primary concern now is if this is something that is being caused by advertising plug ins, that it makes the site unusable for new and casual users. As I said previously, if I was a new user, I'd just keep going and assume it was a crappy website.  
      Obviously it's none  of my business but does the ad revenue generated offset possible damage to the sites reputation and usage?  Perhaps a subscription model?  I know I'd gladly pay a nominal fee for the resource and assume most serious members would also...
    nwr122Lobot
    I believe the issue has cleared, at least I can't replicate it.

Subscribing is free: you just have to log in!

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 964
    Just tried this myself. When I log out, the homepage is covered with ads, and they are moving around and popping in and out. I took a quick screenshot of what I see. Definitely looks like an issue with a rogue ad network. Picture was taken on my laptop, using Firefox.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 700

@Akunthita - I've been having the same browsing 'experience' for the last few days when I haven't logged into the site.  The bottom and side 'Close Ad's seem to have a mind of their own, and my laptop is really struggling to cope with it all, especially when the ads have video/active content.  It's not a good move as far as I'm concerned, and it's putting me off the site massively. 

@Huw - is it possible to make the ads a little less overwhelming?

• FloridasoundFloridasound Member Posts: 7
    Huw: Site works fine if I'm logged in.  Links work and no ad's.  If not logged in, same issues still exist with inactive links and ad's.   Thx for the info.
    ^ Lobot, yes, just log in! I don't know why it's so difficult.

The ads monetise casual users and I do not feel guilty about showing them because everyone can opt out of them easily.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 964
    Huw said:
    ^ Lobot, yes, just log in! I don't know why it's so difficult.

The ads monetise casual users and I do not feel guilty about showing them because everyone can opt out of them easily.

@Huw, I think the issue people are running into is those floating ads making it pretty much impossible to sign in. They are jumping all over the page, taking up too much recourses (and thus the site is difficult to load), and making links unusable (so for example, you can't get to the login page). This means that the casual visitor will first have to install an adblocker to even be able to register or login to the site. It's really just the floating ads. The rest (the one on top and in the sidebar) are fine, and behave normally. I would recommend turning the floating ads off. I believe it would give casual and new visitors a better experience, so they will want to come back. Everyone understand that monetization is needed to maintain a website. But if ads make the site completely unusable, people won't want to return. This is just my opinion of course, and you run your website as you please. :)

I can replicate this problem on my phone. It's odd -- some hyperlinks work and other don't. The login one does but some in the news articles don't.

Clearly it's not right, though, so I've reported it to the ad agency.
  • gunther.schnitzelgunther.schnitzel Member Posts: 92
    I don't login on my phone (iPhone Safari), I had some issues with large adverts a while back seems okay now but I have noticed issues with many links within articles not being clickable in the last few days, the first one i noticed it on was the Hans Schlömer interview.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,941
    Why did I own 9000 minfigures yesterday and today I own 400? I have seen this problem a few times before. 
    CHERUBboy
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    Just like the comment above, my database appears to have gone nuts.

For instance, the table screen shows 120 city figures not owned, but when I do a query it's only 30.

In sports, I've suddenly gone from a complete collection to 76 not owned.

Most other categories show similar bugs.

Figures in every category seem to have vanished. Which is dead annoying as I was trying to use the list to pick up some of the Amazon UK bargains, but now have no reliable idea which ones I own!
    The overnight import from BrickLink failed. I've just re-imported so they should now be shown.
    davetheoxygenman