Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Product Number vs. Item Number?

eberharteberhart Houston, TXMember Posts: 6
Good day. I'm super excited, as I was able to snag a Saturn V set. While the product numbers are 21309, sets have different item numbers. Any idea what the different item numbers mean?

Comments

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,566
    Where are you seeing the item number? 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 496
    Good question. I did a quick search and didn't find much. For one thing, people use the term "item number" to refer to different things. I wonder why TLG needs both the product number and the "Item:" (the one next to the UPC box).
    eberhart
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,566
    Part of their logistics operation, maybe? Would each individual copy of a set have a unique item number to let them track where it is?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,849
    edited October 16
    A 7-digit number is allocated by the company's SAP system to everyt unique item it produces: parts, instructions, sets, boxes, sticker sheets etc.

If the same set has two different ones it could be because (a) one is US and the other is ROW or (b) it's been changed in some way that required a new number to identify it.
  • eberharteberhart Houston, TXMember Posts: 6
    Wow, quick response. One is 6197232 while the other is 6224324.

Lego customer service said that they sometimes have people quote it to them, but they don't really use it either.

catwrangler
    Here is a picture of the label on shipping carton (from Amazon). The v142 is what made me curious.

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,939
    Keychains notoriously have different item numbers from set numbers.

I wish there was a meaningful distinction...
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 97
    The Item No is what the SAP program recognizes. The Set No. (5 digits anymore) is for the internal cataloging.  75XXX is Star Wars, 10XXX is Exclusives (or Duplo, figure THAT one out), 21XXX is Ideas, and so on. If I punch in the product number into the register nothing will happen, but the Item Number is what is linked to the barcode, so for bigger sets like Ghostbusters and the Death Star it's easier to type it in than manhandle the set to scan it. 
    v...is a regional distinction. East coast all have v39 on the cases. Europe is different.
    eberhart
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 496
    eberhart said:
    Wow, quick response. One is 6197232 while the other is 6224324.

Lego customer service said that they sometimes have people quote it to them, but they don't really use it either.

Are those both Saturn V's? What code is on the tabs? 
    My two Saturn V's both have the same item number and came from the same factory (R in the tab code) but were manufactured at different times.

Then, just for fun, what is the tiny nine digit number underneath the UPC?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    One is US and the other is ROW. If you open them up, one will have the US manual and the other the European one.  The manuals have different product codes too, and here they are different lengths due to the inclusion of multiple languages.
    eberhart
    CCC said:
    One is US and the other is ROW. If you open them up, one will have the US manual and the other the European one.  The manuals have different product codes too, and here they are different lengths due to the inclusion of multiple languages.
    For what it is worth . . . The one on the left came from Amazon Prime Now & the one on right came from Barnes & Noble. Both purchased in Houston, TX.

The Amazon reviews said don't pay for price gouging, wait till one comes up. My wife Googled the set, showed them in stock at Barnes & Noble, however visiting the B&N website didn't show set at all. So called them asked them to hold one if they found it. Then out of curiosity saw one on Amazon Prime Now. Clicked buy and it said sold out so I wasn't sure if it was really coming.

I figure with the Space Center and a real Saturn V :) near by, somebody might buy my extra set so I don't have to bother taking it back.
    datsunrobbie
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,849
    CCC said:
    I suspected that but they both have a similar, UPC, barcode. The ROW version would have an EAN.