Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Fixing cracked minifig arms?

VictorLovesToysVictorLovesToys California Member Posts: 12
Not sure about where best to post this. Does anybody have a good way to fix those annoying arm cracks?

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,941
    Go to Bricklink and order new arms then throw out the cracked arms.
    madforLEGOandheCCCsid3windr
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 366
    Have you tried calling a plastic surgeon? 
    oldtodd33starwars4everkezmak0137andheLuLegoRakulJackad7wardm
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917
    oldtodd33 said:
    Go to Bricklink and order new arms then throw out the cracked arms.
    Sounds like my Dad's advice for fixing up the first car I purchased. "Remove gas cap, back replacement car under gas cap, dispose of that rusty pile of *****." 
    oldtodd33dmcc0Jackad7sid3windr
  • VictorLovesToysVictorLovesToys California Member Posts: 12
    That's all I found after some googling too. It seems no one knows of anyone who's had success with some kind of glue? I might have to do some experimenting. I worry about new printed arms which will not be so easily replaced after a couple years. Thanks for the replies
    Minifigure arms should never crack in the first place but children tend to take them out of their socket putting stress on the hand and that will cause the arm to crack. Just don't take the arms out and you'll be fine. A repair sounds nice in theory but to glue the crack and not have the glue seep out of the repaired area just won't work. You'll end up with an arm that looks terrible when finished. 
    Out of curiosity..... what's causing these cracks? Are they spontaneously cracking in a display case or are they being played with? 
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 498
    It's not possible to fix them. I've tried for years. Cracks just happen, with no rhyme or reason. I have noticed that CMF plastic doesn't crack nearly as often, if ever, though.
    BrickByBrickakunthita
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    oldtodd33 said:
    Minifigure arms should never crack in the first place but children tend to take them out of their socket putting stress on the hand and that will cause the arm to crack. Just don't take the arms out and you'll be fine. A repair sounds nice in theory but to glue the crack and not have the glue seep out of the repaired area just won't work. You'll end up with an arm that looks terrible when finished. 
    Or you glue the hand in. I think for the effort of trying to fix them it is easier just to replace.
  • VictorLovesToysVictorLovesToys California Member Posts: 12
    Hanzo, I don't play with them or take the arms or hands out ever. I've seen it from figs just on display and also from ones that were stored. Extreme Temperatures and sunlight can also do it so I keep them away from both. From what I've read, cracks and breaks are much more common (especially in certain pieces) since about 2010 because of a change in the plastic production. 
    Hanzo
    Well crap, now I have something else to be paranoid about.
    Could you post some pictures of the cracked arms and maybe the years they were made so we can see them?
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 498
    I just try to ignore all cracks. Worrying about them will just ruin your life. ;)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    Many figures from the 80's have cracked arms, and I think mostly from just playing with them, and not necessarily with kids trying to pull the arms out of the torso. I know I have a few space guys that had cracked arms and I was not trying to rip the arms off when I was a kid. What does suck is when the arms of that era are no more in the sense of finding spares to replace to the original cracked ones.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    Many figures from the 80's have cracked arms, and I think mostly from just playing with them, and not necessarily with kids trying to pull the arms out of the torso. I know I have a few space guys that had cracked arms and I was not trying to rip the arms off when I was a kid. What does suck is when the arms of that era are no more in the sense of finding spares to replace to the original cracked ones.
    I agree. Just general play is enough to crack arms. Posing figures, especially if you hold the weapon that they are holding and move the arm with that can lead to cracks.

And how many people have checked their Iron Man legs if they leave them standing on the transparent cylinders. These can crack between the foot and the hole on the rear of the legs if left like that.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 812
    ^All of my Iron men were cracked. That was not fun to experience. So I took out the trans round brick and you can tell they are cracked, but it isn't horrible.

I've noticed just being on studs in general tends to stretch out the leg hole a bit and create cracks. As in, how else do you dispaly figures??? on plates or something that has studs so they don't tip over. Not excited to have this massive figure collection only to find them broken randomly.
  • mithridatemithridate HawaiiMember Posts: 20
    Hanzo, I don't play with them or take the arms or hands out ever. I've seen it from figs just on display and also from ones that were stored.

Just to clarify: are you saying that you’re the original owner of the then-new figs, and merely had them on display/in storage, and a significant amount now have cracked arms?