Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Tips on how to start selling sets on bricklink?

Utinni93Utinni93 New YorkMember Posts: 5
I have had couple of sets i don't want anymore from my collection, and after not being able to move them through reddit, I opened up a bricklink store.  I made all my prices very competitive, all lower than the 6 month average, but after about a month, not a thing has sold.  Could I get a critique as to how my store is? Do I need more information? Is there a way I can establish more credibility so people can trust my store? are my prices too low that combined with my 0 feedback score it seems like a scam? Thank you for any help.

https://store.bricklink.com/Conquers&utm_content=globalnav#/shop?o={"showHomeItems":1}

Comments

• HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 366
    I imagine that has a lot to do with it.  Would probably have better luck on eBay since it offers buyers some protection when buying from new sellers with unknown credibility.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,368
    I would agree with that.  I would also recommend the facebook groups that specialize in lego buying/selling/trading.   There is less of a focum on feedabck in those groups as well.

• Utinni93Utinni93 New YorkMember Posts: 5
    edited October 17
    I was hoping to avoid ebay as it seems like a ton of work for little payoff (especially with smaller cheap sets) and I have nothing big and exclusive to put up there, bricklink was my go-to hoping people would make bulk purchases.  I'll have to check out facebook marketplace.  I have also checked out letgo and offerup in the past, but it seems that people only want deals of 70% off or more or else they dont bite.  Thank you for the input!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,002
    Since you are only selling to within the US, that eliminates a number of potential buyers. I think your prices are ok, but if you want to really sell then you will have to drop your prices even more. You'll have to look at the lowest prices for each item and match that, because average prices will not catch any buyers attention.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    I see a few problems:

You haven't got much stock.

What you have is a bit random, no theme between the sets.

What you have (new) is not the cheapest, why pay more from a new seller when an established seller is selling it cheaper?

You are new (this can hamper sellers of used parts / sets). No record of what your quality control is like.

maaaaaaa
  • Utinni93Utinni93 New YorkMember Posts: 5
    vwong19 said:
    Since you are only selling to within the US, that eliminates a number of potential buyers. I think your prices are ok, but if you want to really sell then you will have to drop your prices even more. You'll have to look at the lowest prices for each item and match that, because average prices will not catch any buyers attention.
    My reason for US only is that i have never shipped outside of US before, and i assumed that the shipping would make all my options not worth it with that extra cost.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,002
    Utinni93 said:
    vwong19 said:
    My reason for US only is that i have never shipped outside of US before, and i assumed that the shipping would make all my options not worth it with that extra cost.
    It is a hassle so I wouldn't go global until you've gotten a few domestic sales complete with positive feedback.

For example, 75091-1 is overpriced by at least $4. There doesn't seem to be much demand for the set at this given time since there are only a few sales in the past 6 months. You can either sit on your sets. 

Your priority should be about building a good reputation with positive feedback than making a couple dollars more on sales.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 964
    edited October 17

At least in my experience, selling sets on BrickLink is much slower than on eBay. People mostly come to BrickLink to buy parts and individual minifigures, and maybe old and retired sets. Newish sets don't sell very well, as they are often available from regular retailers both locally and online with free shipping. It's hard to compete with that.

eBay is a much better place for new sets (and not so good for parts). Yes, you will pay 3x more in fees, and you will still be competing with other sellers, but if you want to clear stock, it is the faster route because of the huge number of buyers.

Your BL feedback is fine, in my opinion. You have 11 positive feedback as a buyer, which means you are invested in the site. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from you, especially since none of your items are expensive. But, like other BL members, I almost never buy sets on BL.

I wouldn't bother with selling internationally. It's so much hassle, and since shipping prices went up significantly, you will get a lot of inquiries, but no actual buyers. I used to sell internationally in the past. It was still more work than domestic shipping, but with low shipping fees it was all-right, and I made a lot of worldwide friends. These day's it's just not worth shipping internationally and I have the feature turned off.

BTW, the next too months (November and December) is "THE" time to sell any LEGO sets you don't want, especially on eBay. The traffic and the number of sales you make are FAR MORE than any other time of the year.    

elspankdog