Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Will Women of NASA have the same opening as Saturn V?

bbeck087bbeck087 USAMember Posts: 15
Saw the release for Women of NASA today on Brickset and I was pretty impressed. I wasn't sure if it was something to purchase on the first day of its release, or if I should wait until Christmas. Later I realized I may run into the same issue as I did when I passed up on Saturn V the first time around, and I do not want to go through checking LEGO's website for months and months again. 

So basically, with about two weeks until its (official) release, do we think it will sell out as quickly as Saturn V, remain on the shelves for a bit before the holiday rush, or even sell out at all?

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,249
    edited October 18
    I honestly don't think I could answer your initial question with a straight face.
    oldtodd33BumblepantsprevereSprinkleOttermyscrnnmkiki180703sid3windreMJeeNL
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917
    Mainstream media have been putting up articles about the set, and some of them have links to the Saturn V set. Between the publicity and the availability problems with the Saturn V, I expect there will be a LOT of day-one purchases, and would try to get one on day one.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,180
    edited October 18
    The Research Institute set was also a quick sell-out and I would put this NASA set on a par with RI, if not having even greater popularity because of the real life famous people depicted.
    As chance would have it I should be passing right by a Lego store on 1st November so I think I'll be picking one up day one.
    At the price, too, it's not a hefty investment for those on the fence. Hopefully Lego sets the purchase limit at 1.

I saw lots of comments on Twitter of people saying they were putting it on kids' Christmas lists but if you want it I'd recommend buying day one if you can.

Not trying to induce panic buying :-) but if it goes out of stock early on then chances of more stock coming back before Christmas might be slim (think Minecraft Ideas set in, 2012/2013/whenever that was). 
    These Ideas sets do push out to audiences beyond the Lego Community so the initial demand often seems to be higher. 
    AanchirmadforLEGOgmonkey76Lyichirkiki180703
  • bbeck087bbeck087 USAMember Posts: 15
    After these two comments, I'll probably buy two, one to build and one to sell if they sell out quickly... or to use as a Christmas gift if the demand turns out to be low.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    Yeah. At first blush I think it is no comparison, Saturn V by a mile, but with all of the media exposure that will add demand.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,313
    There’s no doubt that Saturn V is a much more impressive set, but a set doesn’t have to be nearly as impressive to sell well at $25 as at $120. Given the success of basically all the other science-related Ideas sets I’d say it’s good to snatch one up early if you want one. Although, I’m not really tuned into the aftermarket, so I don’t feel qualified to go one step further and recommend it as an investment opportunity.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 339
    bbeck087 said:
    After these two comments, I'll probably buy two, one to build and one to sell if they sell out quickly...
    That's called scalping around these parts and you can get yourself scalped for suggesting it ;-)
    sid3windr
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 788
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    bbeck087 said:
    After these two comments, I'll probably buy two, one to build and one to sell if they sell out quickly... or to use as a Christmas gift if the demand turns out to be low.
    I wouldn't bother buying just one for sale. If you are going to buy to sell, buy as many as you can. 
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 366
    CCC said:
    bbeck087 said:
    I wouldn't bother buying just one for sale. If you are going to buy to sell, buy as many as you can. 
    Exactly, if you're going to scalp, why half ass it?
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 197
    l hope not. l still haven't been able to get the Saturn. Hopefully being only $25 it'll be easier to get a hold of
    leetshoe said:
    l hope not. l still haven't been able to get the Saturn. Hopefully being only $25 it'll be easier to get a hold of
    Being relatively cheap will probably mean more people buy for a quick flip.
    oldtodd33gmonkey76kiki180703
    omnium said:
    Hanzo said:
    Exactly, if you're going to scalp, why half ass it?
    Yep. Go in once with your VIP card to get the point, buy the limit. Walk out, drop the stuff in your car, fake moustache, back in , buy the limit. Next time a wig. Then a complete change of clothes. You can bag so many of them like that.

Once, I tried walking in on my knees to pretend I was a child, but they caught me out when I presented my credit card. I should have used cash. I'd even strapped my shoes to my knees and everything. All in vain.
    sounds like a great idea :) will go in and out until they realize it's me ... then I'll go home and order online from another account :)
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 157
    So basically, with about two weeks until its (official) release, do we think it will sell out as quickly as Saturn V...
    Um....no.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    edited October 20
    alaskaguy said:
    So basically, with about two weeks until its (official) release, do we think it will sell out as quickly as Saturn V...
    Um....no.
    Well, I do not think it is that easy of an answer.
    By 'sell out' does the initial poster mean run its production run and then out of stock faster than the Saturn V? I mean the Saturn V is so popular that LEGO announced it will be out until 2018. This set? A small collection of Vignettes with a likely limited number of sets being produced, combined with media coverage and more exposure to the masses?
    It could sell out overall before Saturn V does.

If they mean initially sell out? I dunno, the Sat V existing stocks sold out within a few hours of being released in most places, so Im guessing at best this set sells out in the same time, depending again on exposure.

alaskaguy said:
    Um....no.
    Well, I do not think it is that easy of an answer.
    By 'sell out' does the initial poster mean run its production run and then out of stock faster than the Saturn V? I mean the Saturn V is so popular that LEGO announced it will be out until 2018. This set? A small collection of Vignettes with a likely limited number of sets being produced, combined with media coverage and more exposure to the masses?
    It could sell out overall before Saturn V does.

If they mean initially sell out? I dunno, the Sat V existing stocks sold out within a few hours of being released in most places, so Im guessing at best this set sells out in the same time, depending again on exposure.

Yeah, what you said in the last few sentences is what I meant. I didn't know if it would be gone in a matter of hours, days, or if it would even have the popularity to sell out within the first month. The point of this post was just to get a reading from the NA crowd so I didn't make the same mistake with waiting a few weeks before deciding on a LEGO Ideas set lol 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 496
    I doubt it will go as fast as the Saturn V, and I managed to get two of those by calling around to B&N, so I'll probably do the same and get my 10% member discount.
  • stetstet Member Posts: 33
    I expect this to sell out as fast and become as rare as Research Institute.
    edited October 23
    I think the motivations are probably different.

People probably more often than not want the Saturn V because it is a cool build, they want to build it, they want to play with it.  They genuinely want it, for what it is.

People probably more often than not want the WON (and RI) sets to keep in the box, unopened, hoping to profiteer some day. They want it for the profit they think it will bring.  And yes, there is an additional group of people who want it because, well, gender ya know. Gotta support equality!

That's a generalization....but I bet it is correct.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,231
    Available now on Amazon, limit of 2
    Hanzokiki180703mak0137
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,770
    pharmjod said:
    Available now on Amazon, limit of 2
    Thanks!! That made for an easy half asleep order this morning... along with a few other sets in my Amazon cart.
    edited November 1
    Well, let's see.  Saturn V sold at @ Lego on-line within an hour, at $130/pop.
    Women of NASA went on sale this morning and still shows available @ 4pm, at $25/pop.

So I think the answer to the OP's question is a definite "No".

madforLEGO
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 331
    Quite surprised it's not sold out yet.  Ordered my 2 at midnight.
    bbeck087kiki180703
    I presume they learned from RI last year, and have a larger initial run. 
  • myscrnnmmyscrnnm Seattle, WAMember Posts: 16
    Dropped by my local store today on my lunch to pick one up and they still had at least a full shelf's worth. Was not expecting this after what I had heard about the launch of the Research Institute.
    Bought my two last night at midnight with a few other things to start my November on the right foot! Can't wait until they arrive! Also was surprised to continue to see they hadn't sold out yet, given what people had guessed and the stories about RI
    7pm on release day of Women of NASA, and 4 months after the release of Saturn V:

Women of NASA: still available
    Saturn V: still unavailable

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/search/NASA

• JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 832
    My local store has a sign that says "limit 1 per household". Anyway, I only wanted 1, so I am all set.
    ^^ I am actually not surprised. 

Rememebr we do not know the amount of product. Consider RI sold out and was hard to come by, I presume they really had a small run of it. For a company not to then better plan for a larger run for a similar set would be a bit silly. I would think this has a larger run over RI and thus the danger of selling out is far less. I was not going to chance it, though, and bought this morning. 
    I'm thinking they just made a crap ton of them, couple that with low buy limits and boom, still in stock.  I has to be easier to crank these out than the Saturn V.
    Aanchir
    OP's question was, "So basically, with about two weeks until its (official) release, do we think it will sell out as quickly as Saturn V, remain on the shelves for a bit before the holiday rush, or even sell out at all?"

So, it wasn't a question about unit volume - or even $ revenue. It was about availability. For that reason, the answer to his question has to be "no" - even if it is because Lego produced a billion sets.
    Right, the answer is clearly no.  Who is arguing with you that it is otherwise?
    Hanzo said:
    You know...not everything needs to be an argument.
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 331
    I'll ask a guy, I said!  ;)
    alaskaguy said:
    Hanzo said:
    Right, I am just genuinely confused, you seem adamant to prove the set isn't as popular/selling like Saturn V did, but I can't see anyone arguing against that.  You're right.  I was just discussing the "why" it may not be sold out.
    Hanzo said:
    alaskaguy said:
    Hanzo said:
    Right, I am just genuinely confused, you seem adamant to prove the set isn't as popular/selling like Saturn V did, but I can't see anyone arguing against that.  You're right.  I was just discussing the "why" it may not be sold out.
    I'm just mocking this lame set (:

As to the "why" - well...it's lame.  There's simply no comparison between the two. Saturn V is "everything" - the WOF set is.....ugh. Short of political reasons or pure profiteering speculation, I don't know why anyone would want it.
    myscrnnm
    I bought it for neither political nor profiteering reasons.

*shrugs shoulders*
    Pumpkin_3CK5bbeck087Aanchir
    That is nice. You do not have to want it. There are plenty of people that do. Why mock a set when there is obviously demand by others? 

Reasons people may may want it...

An individual enjoys vignette builds 
    nice desktop display set
    A set that represents people that played a part in history
    a nice addition to those that display space items

There are plenty of sets that I may personally find 'lame', but that does not mean there are not others that have very valid reasons for wanting a set I may not want.

stluxBumblepantsteal93mr2RakulLyichirbbeck087mak0137Aanchirsid3windr
    tamamahm said:
    Why mock a set when there is obviously demand by others?
    Because, IMHO, it's lame. But if you want more examples of people mocking something because they find it lame, check out the 3700+ posts in the "ridiculous ebay auctions" thread. You'll find plenty.
    tamamahm said:
    There are plenty of sets that I may personally find 'lame', but that does not mean there are not others that have very valid reasons for wanting a set I may not want.
    That's all very well and good....but not sure what that has to do with anything I posted.  I didn't say that someone else who wants it may not have very valid reasons for wanting it.  Hell, political and profiteering reasons are completely valid as far as I am concerned.

• PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 169
    IMO it would probably have been best if media outlets didn't advertise this set.  I don't know many people who buy into what those guys say anymore.
    PapaBear said:
    IMO it would probably have been best if media outlets didn't advertise this set.  I don't know many people who buy into what those guys say anymore.
    Didn't seem to affect the new UCS Falcon.  I saw that on almost every media source I use.
    We have fireworks on sale in UK (we do them on Nov 5). I wonder who will be the first to strap one of these minifigs onto a rocket and send her into space. Or US members using an Estes (takes me back to when my dad used to bring them back from the US for me in the 1980s.)
    CCC said:
    We have fireworks on sale in UK (we do them on Nov 5). I wonder who will be the first to strap one of these minifigs onto a rocket and send her into space. Or US members using an Estes (takes me back to when my dad used to bring them back from the US for me in the 1980s.)
    I remember re-creating a "shuttle incident" with an Estes Space Shuttle and some fireworks (:
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 496
    ^ Too soon.
    Too soon? It was 30 years ago.  How long is long enough?
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,948
    alaskaguy said:
    ^ Too soon.
    Maybe he was referring to this 2003 incident involving the Space Shuttle Columbia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia
    alaskaguy said:
    ^ Too soon.
    Maybe he was referring to this 2003 incident involving the Space Shuttle Columbia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia
    Maybe he was. But I wasn't.