Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Sick of damaged sets from Shop@Home

danielegonzdanielegonz New ZealandMember Posts: 10
Nearly every package I receive from Shop@Home (shop.lego.com) is damaged, either before packaging, or in transit.

You'd think we aren't paying very much for LEGO. I mean, I'm only paying $600 for Ninjago City - you'd expect it to arrive in pristine condition, right?

I remember when I bought the Super Star Destroyer and when I opened the package there were scratch marks all over the set's box. Someone obviously found it in acceptable condition to ship.

Who else is suffering with this?

MrJ_NY

Comments

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 839
    As I don't know what it's like to get your LEGO Sets in New Zealand I can sympathize with you. The damage in my opinion is done by the shipper and I would place most of the blame on them. As I build all of my sets and keep only the packaging of special sets(comic con, small Ideas sets, ....) For me that wouldn't be a problem unless the actual bricks are missing and broken. I would call customer service and see if they would give out bonus points, or some other discount. 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 861
    edited October 26
    That's too bad.  Does that top on the above picture slip all the way down?  If it doesn't, here in the US, then it is not a DOT approved shipping box and would be on whomever put it in that box, assuming no further internal packaging was included
    What is ironic here, is the internal lego box is more in compliant as a shipping box, then the box they ship it in.  Which can make my post above irrelevant.  But I'd still contact CS  and tell them about it.  From what people have said around here, they seem to be very understanding.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 517
    A couple of years ago I bought the Haunted House and Grand Emporium (right before they went EOL) and both were shipped to NZ in perfect condition. Lots of airbags and thick outer boxes protected the sets. 

Maybe I was just really lucky.
  • danielegonzdanielegonz New ZealandMember Posts: 10
    I've been in touch with CS and they've offered to send new ones, but honestly, I don't want to go through the hassle of organising to send them back. I've asked instead for some bonus VIP points.
    You know, if it was Amazon, they'd say "keep the damaged ones and we'll also send you new ones," which has happened to me on two occasions.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 567
    You know, if it was Amazon, they'd say "keep the damaged ones and we'll also send you new ones," which has happened to me on two occasions.

Do they still do that? Has happened to me before but not for a while. The other day they asked me to return a £3 item!
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 864
    Amazon did "refund and keep the damaged one" a few times with me... even with a 4€ item.

Also,

gmonkey76 said:
    The damage in my opinion is done by the shipper and I would place most of the blame on them.
    No. Unless the shipper clearly took a chainsaw he had lying around and attacked the box with it, or ran over it with a truck, any thumping, throwing or stacking damage should be on the outer box only and is thus the responsibility of the sending party.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    The shipping company is not responsible for the lack of packaging or box choice. LEGO is ultimately responsible for this, plus they choose the shipping company. 

As for Amazon, I cannot see them saying keep it and send another. They do that on low value items where the cost of return outweighs the item price, but highly unlikely on orders of this amount, especially for what is essentially superficial damage to the packaging which many people will throw away anyway.
    sid3windrpharmjoddatsunrobbie
  • flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    So... Were the parts inside damaged? I mean, the set boxes are going straight in the recycle bin, right?
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 327
    So... Were the parts inside damaged? I mean, the set boxes are going straight in the recycle bin, right?
    Not if the OP bought them as a collector and wanted to keep them pristine.
    (not my thing as I open everything but there are lots of collectors on Brickset)
    Legoboybandit778
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 498
    I honestly don't care. Unless the box catches my eye, I'll just pile them up over the year and have a "It's-New-Year-Throw-Out-The-Years-Lego-Boxes-Party".
  • Poppy2612Poppy2612 IrelandMember Posts: 2
    My advice - complain complain complain. I've always found S@H good when stuff arrives in less than pristine condition. I've received replacements for small items (and kept the originals). My Saturn V was slightly squashed - they offered a return and replacement but I didn't want to wait so they gave me €10 worth of points instead. Complain

I'm a collector and an investor, so I want my boxes in perfect condition. But regardless of what type of buyer I am, it's not good enough.
    CCC said:
    The shipping company is not responsible for the lack of packaging or box choice. LEGO is ultimately responsible for this, plus they choose the shipping company. 

As for Amazon, I cannot see them saying keep it and send another. They do that on low value items where the cost of return outweighs the item price, but highly unlikely on orders of this amount, especially for what is essentially superficial damage to the packaging which many people will throw away anyway.
    Last time it happened, they asked me to return them but I said "Look, you can't sell these, and it's just going to cost you more for me to ship them back." So they said "That makes sense. Just keep them."
    So S@H replied, and offered me a $15 account credit. WOOOOOOW!!! $15 for a $738 purchase. That's a whopping 2% credit.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,832
     I hate to be all diplomatic but I really do think it’s 50-50. I think Lego is responsible because they package the set and they choose the shipper but the shipper is equally responsible because they choose the employees and they also run the process to get the item from point A to point B.

As others have said I think if you complain in a friendly manner and tell them your situation they’re always very grateful to assist you.
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 281
    That's $15 more than a cardboard box is worth to most people ;-)
    datsunrobbiepharmjodBumblepantsbeemooldtodd33madforLEGO
    ^and it’s better than nothing.
    pharmjodbeemooldtodd33madforLEGO
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 207
    I've never had issues here in the U.S.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917
    A lot of the boxes I see (and purchase) on the shelves at local Walmart and Target are in worse shape than those. Shipping boxes for the sets I have ordered from S@H all had the LEGO logo on every side, surprised to see there are no logos on your shipping box. Is that common for sets you are receiving from S@H? 
  • curiouscurious Member Posts: 31
    Its the shipper. In the UK I tried an experiment, standard shipping via yodel arrives in good condition, this may be down to the particular route having less deliveries. Royal mail on the other hand absolutely trash them, presumably they are overloading their van.

I have more problem with amazon they would damage every single parcel, despite having prime for years in the UK they refuse to switch courier and would typically send out another set that promptly got damaged in the same way, they'd also expect every damaged item to be sent back. After trying 3 or 4 times with one particular set I gave up, Amazon are a horrible unethical company anyway can't have them destroying my Lego too.
    catwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,231
    edited October 26
    You mean destroying your pretty LEGO box. I'm sure the actual LEGO was just fine.
    MattPetersenFowlerBricksoldtodd33SirBrickalotOfLego
    lego is getting plenty of shipping discounts and rebates to account for damages, they don't even file a claim, it is all figured in....hold them accountable....although, they can also refuse to do anything at all...then what do you do?
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 97
    pharmjod said:
    You mean destroying your pretty LEGO box. I'm sure the actual LEGO was just fine.
    I've gotta agree on this point. The O.P. said they were a collector and investor, which is fine: who am I to tell someone how to spend their cash.  My point is that there is a LOT of travel between the rest of the world and NZ - I've done that flight, and I could see how the double-digit plane ride could do a number on boxes.  Listen, I get that people want boxes in pristine condition, but I've really never understood why - unless you're buying it as a gift, what's it to you? And since you're only buying it as an investment (good luck! I'm sure there are lots of Johnny-cum-lately investors new to the game that spent a year's worth of mortgage payments "investing" in 10179s only to see their value plummet with the new Falcon) then I'm not sure any shipping company would really care that much about the state you received it in; as long as it ships ok they're not really liable. 

Listen, I get that this is a cottage industry, but when there are a lot of people who would LOVE to have the problem of "suffering with this" as compared to suffering with their kid dying of cancer, well........
    MattPetersenpharmjod
    ryjay said:
    lego is getting plenty of shipping discounts and rebates to account for damages, they don't even file a claim, it is all figured in....hold them accountable....although, they can also refuse to do anything at all...then what do you do?

Consumer law would surely dictate that the product must arrive undamaged or can be exchanged or returned for a refund. They can't just say "tough crap".
    MrJackson said:

as long as it ships ok they're not really liable. 

Again, nonsense, there are consumer laws to prevent companies from saying "it was the courier's fault" - the purchase contract is between the customer and the seller, if the shipping fails in any way that's down to the seller to sort out. The customer should always be refunded.
    sid3windrKerre
    curious said:
    Its the shipper. In the UK I tried an experiment, standard shipping via yodel arrives in good condition, this may be down to the particular route having less deliveries. Royal mail on the other hand absolutely trash them, presumably they are overloading their van.

The seller chooses the courier company, so if the courier has a bad reputation, it is down to the seller.

I've both sent and received many parcels via the royal mail, and all have arrived in good condition. So long as they are packaged properly, they are unlikely to be damaged in transit. Again, packaging is the repsonsibility of the seller not the courier. If a seller ships in a weak cardboard box, they cannot complain it is the fault of the courier if it gets damaged.
    curious said:

I have more problem with amazon they would damage every single parcel, despite having prime for years in the UK they refuse to switch courier and would typically send out another set that promptly got damaged in the same way, they'd also expect every damaged item to be sent back. After trying 3 or 4 times with one particular set I gave up, Amazon are a horrible unethical company anyway can't have them destroying my Lego too.
    I don't blame them for wanting sets where the customer complains about a damaged box to be returned. It doesn't cost them much and they can be resold via amazon warehouse. If what they sell for is greater than the cost to them of returning and processing, then it makes sense.
    sid3windr
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,943
    As an old time LEGO collector, I am amazed at the number of people who throw away their boxes and instructions to boot.  When I see how many people are reselling on BL or Ebay and no longer have the box or instructions... that's diminishes the value of a set to folks who value "completeness" to their LEGO sets.  Otherwise it's just a bag of bricks to a lot of collectors.

Here's an extreme example of what I am talking about.....

The rare 321 Clown set of 1965-67.  With good condition box and instructions the set is worth $1000.  With just the bricks.... $5.

Throwing away the boxes and instructions of valuable or expensive sets is like throwing away money.  Yeah granted you might have limited space, but it's still like throwing away money.  I'm sure that 90% of the folks who are reselling their open/used sets without box or instructions, probably never had the intentions of selling them later on... but did so anyway.

I applaud the original posters feelings on this... if you'r going to spend $758, then it damn well better be in near perfect condition. ;-)
    caterham7piratemania7LegoboyJohnyk668madforLEGO
    ^ Then there are counter examples on ebay and BL where a used set with a box and instructions sells for no or little more than a set without. In fact, sometimes buyers prefer a seller to dump the box and instructions if it means cheaper postage.

Of course, for rare or expensive sets it makes sense to keep the box. But for off the shelf type sets that are sold worldwide in supermarkets, having the box isn't going to make a huge difference to the resale value of a used set.

If people are investing, then sure, they should keep the box. But then they should keep the box sealed too and not play with the investment.
    beemocatwrangler
    CCC said:
    The seller chooses the courier company, so if the courier has a bad reputation, it is down to the seller.
    I meant the shipper is doing the damage, I agree the seller has the responsibility to not choose bad delivery services. The whole delivery market is a mess at the moment.

The reason I refuse damaged boxes is I paid for a new condition item, if someone wants to sell me something they've trashed and manhandled it better come with a sizeable discount, usually the lego inside is fine but how can you be sure without opening the bags? The box has taken some big knocks which has bounced everything inside around.
    sid3windr
    curious said:
    CCC said:
    I meant the shipper is doing the damage, I agree the seller has the responsibility to not choose bad delivery services. The whole delivery market is a mess at the moment.

The reason I refuse damaged boxes is I paid for a new condition item, if someone wants to sell me something they've trashed and manhandled it better come with a sizeable discount, usually the lego inside is fine but how can you be sure without opening the bags? The box has taken some big knocks which has bounced everything inside around.
    I totally agree. But in this case, the seller should have used a stronger box. If the outer box is badly damaged, it is because the box the seller chose was not adequate for the delivery method they use.
    sid3windr
    CCC said:
    curious said:
    CCC said:

I totally agree. But in this case, the seller should have used a stronger box. If the outer box is badly damaged, it is because the box the seller chose was not adequate for the delivery method they use.
    Yes that too, although those boxes are pretty strong to start with so they've been through some rough stuff to end up like that. I suppose if they can't sort out the delivery market or choose better ones a stronger box is the only thing they have control over, amazon especially I wished had this choice, I started having problems when they severely lowered the quality of their packaging. There was a time when the packing was good enough to not damage lego.
  • dave_bennydave_benny Member Posts: 11
    I've had a couple of damaged items from Shop@Home, but Lego always replaced (larger items have to be returned) and offered either a free gift or additional VIP points as an apology. Maybe this experience is different in other countries.

I do have issues with Yodel deliveries in general however.  Not with damage for Lego deliveries as their packaging is very good. But issues include:- 
    - Leaving parcels outside, in view of the road / in adverse weather there is an open gate at the rear with plenty of obvious hiding places. Pretty sure they should ask for a signature for some of these too
    - Some couriers don't even knock on the door before doing this. I've heard them putting the card though the letterbox before and confronted the driver to say 'at least leave it behind the gate' he responded by lying that he couldn't as the gate is always locked. It doesn't lock...
    - They have also 'lost' a couple of parcels (including my Saturn V which then went out of stock). NB Lego gave me £30 of VIP points for this but then it was a bit of a wait for a replacement!!

I wish more companies would use DPD.  They have been excellent with friendly drivers

I've had a couple of damaged items from Shop@Home, but Lego always replaced (larger items have to be returned) and offered either a free gift or additional VIP points as an apology. Maybe this experience is different in other countries.

I do have issues with Yodel deliveries in general however.  Not with damage for Lego deliveries as their packaging is very good. But issues include:- 
    - Leaving parcels outside, in view of the road / in adverse weather there is an open gate at the rear with plenty of obvious hiding places. Pretty sure they should ask for a signature for some of these too
    - Some couriers don't even knock on the door before doing this. I've heard them putting the card though the letterbox before and confronted the driver to say 'at least leave it behind the gate' he responded by lying that he couldn't as the gate is always locked. It doesn't lock...
    - They have also 'lost' a couple of parcels (including my Saturn V which then went out of stock). NB Lego gave me £30 of VIP points for this but then it was a bit of a wait for a replacement!!

I wish more companies would use DPD.  They have been excellent with friendly drivers

I have had the same experience with Yodel at my home address. I now send everything to my work place which stops them from messing around. They are being given too little time per delivery which is why they give up so easily. With a goods entrance and staff to receive it they know they can drop it off quickly.
    Istokg said:
    As an old time LEGO collector, I am amazed at the number of people who throw away their boxes and instructions to boot.  When I see how many people are reselling on BL or Ebay and no longer have the box or instructions... that's diminishes the value of a set to folks who value "completeness" to their LEGO sets.  Otherwise it's just a bag of bricks to a lot of collectors.

The rare 321 Clown set of 1965-67.  With good condition box and instructions the set is worth $1000.  With just the bricks.... $5.

Throwing away the boxes and instructions of valuable or expensive sets is like throwing away money.  Yeah granted you might have limited space, but it's still like throwing away money.  I'm sure that 90% of the folks who are reselling their open/used sets without box or instructions, probably never had the intentions of selling them later on... but did so anyway.

I applaud the original posters feelings on this... if you'r going to spend $758, then it damn well better be in near perfect condition. ;-)
    I’ve struggled with this for years. And I get that this is a bit off topic. But if I had kept all the boxes to sets I have opened I would have countless boxes that would then be stored somewhere taking up space.  Not to mention the hazard all that paper creates and general mess. Instructions on the other hand are a fraction of the size and can be kept nice and tidy in a file system.

i agree a set with box adds value but in my opinion that’s 20ish years down the line.  I don’t want to keep a box that long shoved somewhere just to raise a resell value.

in the end, like I said, I always struggle. I go through times where I keep the boxes and others when I dump 10 at a time in the recycling bin.
    pharmjodgmonkey76
  • dave_bennydave_benny Member Posts: 11
    curious - I agree the fault lies mainly with the pressure on couriers to deliver too many parcels on a day, although this stems back to customers insistance on free / cheap delivery and the competition for reduced courier prices this generates.  

However, it takes them longer to walk to the back gate, write the card & then post it though the letterbox than to just ring the bell. Several times it's been the same guy so he knows I'm usually at home. 

Plus there is no excuse for barefaced lying :)
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 267
    Istokg said:

Examples like this are poor because this is a set made before people started investing in toys or recapturing their childhood. 
    So, the boxes for these types of sets are MUCH more rare than more modern day sets where people started purposely putting full sets in storage to resell at a later date (anyone here remember the comic book boom in the 90s and subsequent fall due to speculators and investors?)
    I personally think that because of our switch to an investors market some of the more modern sets will never attain a very high price on the secondary market because the boxes bad pieces won't be so rare thanks to how many people buy more than one and store the rest like acorns. That's not to say they won't achieve a high price, just not what they could when compared to some of the more classic sets where in the time period boxes and booklets weren't considered worth saving.

BTW I totally get what you were conveying, it is better to save the boxes if your planning on selling them later on.
    I am just jaded in this subject since I have seen adults ruin two other kid hobbies before this that I was into due to investments and speculation.
    I don't fault anyone or demonize anyone who is into the hobby that way so please don't think in looking down on anyone. We all enjoy this hobby in different ways. 
    I just don't care much for boxes (and my wife would kill me if I started saving them all).

pharmjodPumpkin_3CK5catwrangler
  • tmorais_pttmorais_pt PortugalMember Posts: 1
    I think there are two different aspects.

One is about the damaged boxes before shipping.

The other is about damages during transportation.

For me the first is unacceptable, especially when they are exclusive sets of Lego stores or Shop@Home.

Since 2012 I have already made about 50 orders in Shop@Home (in Portugal there are no Lego stores) and my experience is that I received about 10% to 15% of boxes with damages, having returned the damaged boxes on 2 occasions with sets of more than 200 € (the second time in 2016 I returned 3 times the same set!!!).

Although Lego did not raise any issues with the return, when it came from the set that I returned 3 times, I was asked to try to buy it in a physical toys store due to the repetition of the problem. I accepted, but I made a point of saying that the problem seemed never to have been transportation (the shipping boxes arrived in perfect condition). Note: when I accepted it, it seemed to me that they said by telephone that besides accepting the return I would compensate with VIP points, but I must have misunderstood because I never received any points!

Due to these problems, this year I only made two orders and fortunately arrived both perfect (Carousel and Ninjago City)!

Looks like I was lucky!
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 551
    Two years ago I ordered a higher end electric razor from Amazon. It arrived in perfect condition box-wise, but ended up being not what I wanted. The issue was completely on my part for not fully researching it. I filed for a return and indicated I hadn't opened the box. 

Amazon came back and said they would credit me the money back and I could just keep the item. ...a $250 razor for free... The only thing I could think that would have prompted it was the fact that they couldn't risk a "healthy hazard" had I actually used a razor and then shared it with someone else who subsequently bought it? 

Maybe tell Lego that you accidentally shaved with the boxes and returning them would be a health hazard, so they should just send replacements. 

Honestly, in my very limited experience with S@H shipments, 95% of my stuff has arrived looking great. One exception was a small add-on set I grabbed to get me to a promo level. Any other issues I've had, customer service has done great to take care of me. However, I've found it depends on who you speak with. On a recent concern I had, which I considered almost too small to bring up, they quickly offered me a generous number of VIP points to make up for it. A few days later I followed up on something else that I felt was of larger concern and all I got was a "I'm sorry to hear that." 
    We could go on forever on this, lol.  All's ya can do is pick your opponent and fight your battle
    brickventures
    A lot of the boxes I see (and purchase) on the shelves at local Walmart and Target are in worse shape than those. Shipping boxes for the sets I have ordered from S@H all had the LEGO logo on every side, surprised to see there are no logos on your shipping box. Is that common for sets you are receiving from S@H? 
    Yes, this is the boxes they always come in. No LEGO branding.
    MrJackson said:

Listen, I get that this is a cottage industry, but when there are a lot of people who would LOVE to have the problem of "suffering with this" as compared to suffering with their kid dying of cancer, well........
    You could say this about almost anything...

"Waiter, this is not the meal I ordered."
    "Perhaps sir, but at least your child is NOT DYING OF CANCER."
    sid3windrcatwrangler
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 46
    You stated that LEGO offered to send replacements, but you didn't want to put in the effort to send the original items back.  It sounds to me like you just want something for free. 

I understand your frustration with damaged boxes, but get real.  Cardboard is pliable.  If you need your boxes in pristine condition, buy them in person and not online.  If you're unable to buy them in person, then you have to be realistic about the potential for damage.
    CCC
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,943
    @danielegonz contrary to the lowered shipping expectations of some.... you should never have to settle for this....

SeanTheCollectorsid3windr
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,776
    MrJackson said:

You could say this about almost anything...

"Waiter, this is not the meal I ordered."
    "Perhaps sir, but at least your child is NOT DYING OF CANCER."
    imagine his kid is really dying of cancer
    catwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,231
    A more appropriate comparison would be asking out loud in the restaurant if anyone else was suffering due to receiving the wrong meal.
    ericb said:
    You stated that LEGO offered to send replacements, but you didn't want to put in the effort to send the original items back.  It sounds to me like you just want something for free. 

Nope, I just want to receive undamaged boxes in the first place.
    sid3windr
    ericb said:

I understand your frustration with damaged boxes, but get real.  Cardboard is pliable.  If you need your boxes in pristine condition, buy them in person and not online.  If you're unable to buy them in person, then you have to be realistic about the potential for damage.

If you bought a new car and it was delivered with a scratch, would you just accept that as part of the service? It doesn't matter whether you pick up at the dealer or have it delivered to home, they're on a loader in both cases.

It's all relative. If you order something online you should get what you ordered, undamaged and in shop-bought condition. Given that it's perfectly possible to send a parcel to the most inaccessible island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean without the contents being damaged, expecting that parcels reach Australia and New Zealand in good condition isn't too much to ask.
    sid3windrdbrougeKerrexwingpilot
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,776
    until the fedex delivery guy throws it against your door. lol, those guys looked seriously fed up with their work.