Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Need help getting parts

MaximusMaximus Lego landMember Posts: 10
Hello im maximus and im new around here. After watching a few videos I've got into Lego's agian and I'm intrested in making some MOC's of my own design! However I don't know were to start. I don't really have anything in mind so I just want to get some random part's. Does anybody know what the best place for this is? Should I get one of the bins Lego sell's? Or is there a better way to get random part's that i can actually do somthing with. If sombody could help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    LEGO Pick a brick online, Pick a brick in LEGO stores (if there is one around you) and sites like Bricklink.com and brickowl.com, LEGO parts direct at LEGO S@H

• flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    If you want specific parts, you should order from Lego's parts service, or from BrickLink or BrickOwl.

You could also go to a Lego store and get stuff from the pick-a-brick wall.

Regular sets are also fine of course; perhaps there is a theme you like, whose sets have parts that you think will be useful. Parts buckets have a lot of basic bricks, which are certainly useful, though I tend to dislike how many colors they usually contain. I tend to build with specific color schemes (usually ~4 main colors), so if you gave me a massively multicolored box, I would wish it had fewer.

You can also download stud.io (BrickLink's Lego CAD program that is the heir apparent to Lego Digital Designer) and mess around, if you like designing on a computer. (With the caveat that such programs are never truly complete in terms of parts, and they also let you do things that are impossible/wildly impractical in the real world, such as using old parts in colors that didn't exist back then, or parts in very rare colors, etc.)

Your best bet may be an "assorted bricks" set (I think they call that Basic these days?) or it may be the pick-a-brick wall and seeing which parts inspire you. (with the caveat that a pick-a-brick wall is unlikely to contain all the parts you would want for a creation.)
  • MaximusMaximus Lego landMember Posts: 10
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917
    If you are just looking for large quantities of parts, I recommend checking out local thrift stores. There are a couple near me that have LEGO on a regular basis, and usually a lot cheaper than retail. Craigslist and eBay can also be good sources, but I prefer the thrift shops because I can get a good look at the parts before buying. The downside of buying used parts is they are often mixed with off-brand parts. 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 496
    If you just want a lot of "random" parts to build your collection, you just need to keep an eye out for cheap sources of parts. Discounts and clearance at stores (especially Walmart if you have those); thrift and secondhand stores (I've bought a lot of my collection at an antique store); Craigslist, yard sales, flea markets, etc. There's no one right way to do it. Keep in mind that you may have to clean Lego you pick up second hand. I use mesh bags in the washing machine for most parts, but I hand wash large plates, long skinny parts, and larger transparent parts to avoid more scratching.
    madforLEGO
  • MaximusMaximus Lego landMember Posts: 10