Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Pick a brick in store VS. Pick a brick online?

MaximusMaximus Lego landMember Posts: 10
If sombody could tell me which is cheaper tends to have better parts etc. That would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,019
    In store if you take your time maxing the capacity of the cup you will save a good bit over online but your part selection is much more limited.
  • MaximusMaximus Lego landMember Posts: 10
    Okay good to know! Thanks!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    In store if you take your time maxing the capacity of the cup you will save a good bit over online but your part selection is much more limited.
    I dunno, have you seen the online selection lately? ;-p
    Seriously the part selection is still is better online, but like @Bumblepants says, you pay per part online, whereas you pay for a cup, so sometimes it is more lucrative to buy from the store if they have good parts for building. Really check the store first to see if they have what you are looking for.
    What dp you mean cup? When I got bricks as a kid it was per pound did they change that?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    edited October 29
    Maximus said:
    What dp you mean cup? When I got bricks as a kid it was per pound did they change that?
    LEGOLAND Discovery Centers do by the pound. LEGO stores, to the best of my knowledge, have always done per the small or large cup, at least in the US that is, I would presume it is like that everywhere, but not certain.
    edited October 29
    Okay now that i think about i only ever did pick a bricks in lego land! Do you know what the price per cup is btw?
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 151
    ^where i live in Columbus, Ohio, the large cup is 15.99 and small is 8.99 but if you bring the cup back to the store to refill they'll take fifty cents off thus making the price 15.49 / 8.49.  Lots of videos on YouTube showing how to maximize space so as to lower the price per piece.
    madforLEGO
    Also good to know thanks!
  • myscrnnmmyscrnnm Seattle, WAMember Posts: 16
    ^where i live in Columbus, Ohio, the large cup is 15.99 and small is 8.99 but if you bring the cup back to the store to refill they'll take fifty cents off thus making the price 15.49 / 8.49.  Lots of videos on YouTube showing how to maximize space so as to lower the price per piece.
    As far as I know, the prices in all US LEGO Stores should be the same regardless of which one you go to.

As far as which is a better value and which has better selection, Pick a Brick online wins hands down by selection, and the Pick & Build wall wins for value. The wall usually has pretty basic pieces, but if they have something desirable like 2x2 light gray tiles, it's way cheaper to get it in store. But special pieces tend to be rarer, at least at the stores I've been to.