Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How to word eBay descriptions of sets that will look 100% but are not.

LuvKernowLuvKernow Canterbury, UKMember Posts: 6
Hey guys, I've been selling a lot of Lego on eBay recently. While most people are happy with what they get as I always say 'the set looks to be complete but as it is Lego, cannot be 100% sure', some people are demanding returns saying the set is not complete, when in fact I've built the damned thing and the only things missing are usually the spares. Or the technic 9M placeholder in the V-19 Torrent...! (That buyer should have nothing to do with Lego, if my 7yo can put it together without the Technic piece...) So, lets come to the point of this topic, how better can I word the item description in order to make the buyer aware that the item could be complete as far as I know, but may not be? Cos I'm fed up of these people being a bit obnoxious and I'm just trying to get rid of Lego as quickly as possible. And I'm talking around 500 sets, all of which need putting together as it's all in huge 64L RUBoxes...

Any help gracefully received! 

M.

Comments

• alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 157
    You could always say:

"This set is NOT 100% complete.  There is no guarantee of completeness at all, and the price reflects this fact.  There will be NO RETURNS on this set, especially if buyer finds the set is not 100% complete.  However, I have built the set and I have found no missing pieces."
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 602
    Short of stating *missing parts will not be replaced or compensated* as long as you make it clear the set shouldn't be considered complete even if it is, You should be covered. This won't stop people not reading and asking for something from you. But at least you will have been clear in your product and not obligated to offer anything.
    Also keep in mind that Ebay is all about satisfying the buyer.  Ebay will happily screw you any time it wants to, no matter WHAT you put in your description.  I don't sell anything on Ebay anymore for this reason.
    dougtspreverelegomental
  • LuvKernowLuvKernow Canterbury, UKMember Posts: 6
    Yeah, I don't keep the boxes for most, and I always state the condition, i.e. yellowing,, sticker wear, etc. I had one guy who was going by the parts lists on the instructions demanding the 'spare' technic pin, when you know for a fact it's not needed for the model, hence the 'may not be 100%' comment! 

I'm not a guy who collects Lego for investment, just a collector who's probably bought way more than I should have over the years, and now the wife's demanding it be sold for holidays and the like... :o/ As she says, if it's not on display and hiding up in 20 boxes in the loft, what's the point of it cluttering up the house? 
    LuLego
    alaskaguy said:
    Also keep in mind that Ebay is all about satisfying the buyer.  Ebay will happily screw you any time it wants to, no matter WHAT you put in your description.  I don't sell anything on Ebay anymore for this reason.
    Aye, what other choice do I have? I'm just looking to clear it all out set by set as quickly as I can. 
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 540
    I've sold a few sets that I'm too lazy to check completeness on.  I put them on Ebay auction style and put something in description like:  "Looks like all parts are here, but I did not verify and no returns."  Then I let the market bid what they want to bid for it.  Since I know a lot of buyers want the minifigures I at least verify if those are all there or not. 
    edited October 30
    LuvKernow said:
    alaskaguy said:
    Aye, what other choice do I have? I'm just looking to clear it all out set by set as quickly as I can. 
    Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, this forum, other forums, etc. etc.

The fastest way to sell something is to make the price irresistible. You sacrifice money for speed.  One thing you COULD do is advertise in all these places for a "live auction, cash only" to be held at your house at XXX date/time (or some other location you have access too, if you want). Advertise for it everywhere you can, including local bulletin boards where lego people hang out, etc.  Get rid of it all at once that way, for whatever price you can get for it.  Hell, I know that if such a thing were advertised around here, I'd show up for it for with a pocket full of cash (:
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 501
    edited October 30

If all that is missing are "extra" pieces, state that clearly in your Ebay description.  If pieces are missing that are actually part of the build (whether you can build the model with the piece or not is not relevant imo) you should state exactly what pieces are missing and not say it looks 100% complete.  If you aren't already, print out the inventory from Bricklink and check off each piece, it goes a long way toward making the buyer feel like you actually cared if it's complete or not.

I also put in a blurb about if the buyer finds any pieces missing (other than the extra pieces) to contact me before leaving feedback.  I'd rather have to send out a couple small inexpensive parts than take a hit that would likely cost me much more down the road.

After saying all that, if you don't want to take the time to verify the set IS complete and just state you think it is, don't expect to get top dollar.  I no longer bid on sets that aren't guaranteed to be complete, or if I do, I expect it to go for a big discount, which they usually do.

gmonkey76LuLegosid3windr
    Well, I've never paid top dollar for any of my sets, so I know i'll break even either way. What I do know for sure is I have every minifig for those sets. i.e., I bought the first RGS with jedi jimmy for around 15 quid, no droideka but all the other minifigs. There's no stickers and just a few pieces missing. I'm guessing because of those minifigs, I'll get 15 quid or more now, hm? 

i'll stick with eBay for now, i'm not very tech savvy, don't do FB, and find the intricacies of Bricklink way beyond me. 

Cheers all, for advice, will rewrite my blurbs and add more photos than I have done. The reason I can't check off each piece, is, as I've stated, I have to sort it all from loose parts in around 5 to 6 64 litre storage boxes. And they've gotta go before the Spring. 
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 480
    If the pictures are good (clear and of sufficient angles to reasonably present the set/pieces), I have no problem buying auctions “as pictured, no returns.” I’ve only had problems with lots that I’ve bought that arrived without some of the pictured pieces/figs.  
    LuvKernow
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 314
    I’ve recently sold 14 incomplete sets with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I very clearly stated in the title that they were incomplete, for most of them I also listed the parts that were missing. 

Be as as honest as you can in your listings and you shouldn’t go wrong! Sure there’s always a few numptys about but there’s nothing you can do about that! 
    LuvKernowbgl_84
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    Just be honest. Say that you have checked all pieces as per the inventory in the instructions manual and that extra parts are not included (if you have done that) or say that extra parts are not included or if parts are missing, say it. Honesty pays.
    LuvKernowdrdavewatford
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,798
    Mobile buying on eBay is WAY UP. When you buy from a phone, there's no automatic view of the description page, like on desktops/laptops. You literally have to hunt for it. For this reason, I would include the word incomplete or 99% in the title. 
    CCCLuvKernowcatwrangler
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 302
    LuvKernow said:
    Well, I've never paid top dollar for any of my sets, so I know i'll break even either way. What I do know for sure is I have every minifig for those sets. i.e., I bought the first RGS with jedi jimmy for around 15 quid, no droideka but all the other minifigs. There's no stickers and just a few pieces missing. I'm guessing because of those minifigs, I'll get 15 quid or more now, hm? 

i'll stick with eBay for now, i'm not very tech savvy, don't do FB, and find the intricacies of Bricklink way beyond me. 

Cheers all, for advice, will rewrite my blurbs and add more photos than I have done. The reason I can't check off each piece, is, as I've stated, I have to sort it all from loose parts in around 5 to 6 64 litre storage boxes. And they've gotta go before the Spring. 
    I see you;'re in the UK
    try gumtree - much better than ebay, use paypal or cash on collection 
    much better response and no fees
    if you can manage to upload photos on ebay you can manage gumtree (I can and definitely a technophobe)

or try on here
    LuvKernow
    alexwil said:
    I’ve recently sold 14 incomplete sets with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I very clearly stated in the title that they were incomplete, for most of them I also listed the parts that were missing. 

Be as as honest as you can in your listings and you shouldn’t go wrong! Sure there’s always a few numptys about but there’s nothing you can do about that! 
    Yeah, I've sold hundreds of sets over the years, never had an issue! This is the first refund I've offered since I opened an ebay account in 2004...! 
    Great(!) Love how ebay sides with the buyer, even though the eejit sends me back the set with three pieces broken and evidence of how he shouldn't even be anywhere near Lego! ebay offers him full reimbursement and return postage out of my pocket...! Which leaves me with a set I am going to be unable to sell now until I buy replacement parts! So angry right now. I've appealed but common consensus among other sellers is that ebay favours the buyers overwhelmingly. So, I've quit ebay. Useless shower of *refrains from hard swearing*