Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Reccomendations for Introducing My Grandson Motorized Lego Builds

Noni365Noni365 TexasMember Posts: 1
My 7 year old grandson is very talented when it comes to building with Legos. He’s able to build most “kits” by himself. Between he & his 15 year old brother they have tubs of Legos. He’s voiced interest in gears, motors, etc. Any reccomendations on what mechanical items to purchase to get him to get started?

Comments

• CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 88
    They have #9686 if you're willing to spend the money. But definately get started with simple technic sets (that actually have mechanisms of course) like #42057. Once he's learned the basics (IE the basics of gears, levers, clutches exc), you can get him random small sets for MOC parts. You could even shop around on Ebay of you just want piles of parts. But if he's building his own stuff, I would recommend getting lots of clutch gears to prevent mechanical failures from turning crunchy (small gears are not forgiving, especially differentials, trust me, I've been there).

I don't know if they have any basic motor tub sets anymore (like the ancient 140-2), it seems motors are more technic oriented. I don't even know if they make brick motors anymore. I remember back when most creator sets that moved had motors, now they're just cranks and motors are sold seperately. You could still add the now technic only motors to system builds with technic bricks though.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,471
    #42065 RC Tracked Racer has been a hit with all the kids in my extended family (between 5 and 9).
    Not very hard to put together, 2 motors, and lots of play value. Very sturdy as well! 

If he likes that, you could consider stepping up to one of the more complex models where you start with putting a gearbox together.