Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Boost Creative Toolbox - good set?

monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 555
edited November 18 in Everything else LEGO
Hi everyone,

my daughter saw this in the store and has been asking for this set for Christmas.  She is 4 and is obsessed with the cat form of this set.  I was all set to buy today but the poor reviews on Lego S@h are giving me pause.  Any thoughts?  Anyone else buy this for their kids with good or bad experiences?

apologies in advance if there is a better thread or forum for questions like this. 

Thanks!

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 972
    edited November 18

What I have seen is that a lot of the poor reviews are from people who didn't check if their device is compatible with BOOST, and they are disappointed when it doesn't work. Other than that, it does as advertised. LEGO has a whole series of videos on their YouTube channel with tips and tricks on how to use BOOST, and I'm sure there will be regular updates and upgrades as well.

I would add that BOOST is recommended for ages 7 and up, LEGO is pretty accurate with their age recommendations. A 4-year-old may be too young to really enjoy and take advantage of BOOST's programming capabilities. If she just likes how the cat looks, then just build a cat from regular LEGO parts, and maybe add some Power Functions, or light-bricks, or something like that to make it a bit more dynamic.

On the other hand, your daughter may be a programming wiz already, so if she likes that aspect of BOOST, than perhaps it would be a good gift for her. I would try to figure out which aspect of the cat she likes. If it's the looks, then just build a cat, if it's the programming, then get BOOST. :)

monstblitzstlux
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 555
    Thanks, I did notice that after reading some of the negative reviews.  By the way I’m not sure how I missed the stickied thread about this subject at the top.  Posting from phone and just missed it.  Feel free to merge mods, sorry about that.  After reading that thread I think I’m going to skip it. Seems like too much complication for a 4 year old.  I think I’ll take your advice and look into a Lego cat build without power function for her.
    akunthitakiki180703stlux