Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Hello from Chicago

ravotravot USA/ILMember Posts: 9
Hey Guys,
been lurking for a month now and finally registered today. I was really afraid of the rabbit hole of Lego...which is why i lurked. too late!  Nephew is into Lego, he's 5, so i've been helping him build sets whenever he's over. I had Lego as a kid but wasn't hardcore, or had many sets. Now i have a newborn, video games are nonexistent being that i can't really 'pause' online gameplay :( so I figured Lego is the key to my hobby/fidgety-ness. I can take my time to build as i watch my little one nap. And not much of a noise maker, (until i'm opening up a bag of Lego). 

Anyway, my main sets i'm telling myself I will only buy will be Star Wars sets, stuff I actually like and would display. Also, I'll pick up other CMF's that are not in the SW world, stuff that I like such as movies, super heroes, etc. 

Currently I have the Saturn set, UCS Snowspeeder, Creator Ferrari, Y Wing, A Wing, Landspeeder. I've only built the A wing and landspeeder for now. I just purchased the Lego IDEAS ecto 1 for a steal. 

Comments

• MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,840
    Hello! Welcome to the forum. Those are some good sets you have there. And there are plenty of Chicagoans on here too, so I’m sure you’ll be right at home. :-)
    ravotgmonkey76
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 937
    edited November 21
    Yes...welcome from the Chicago burbs

Be careful about expanding the various lines of Lego you begin to buy.  Once you start, you might not be able to stop and that can be an expensive mistake (Modulars..I'm looking at you).  Star wars can be extra expensive as it is and includes the dreaded Disney tax.

Make sure you have a long term storage/display plan as your sets grow in number as well.  There is plenty of advice on this forum...just remember in the end, they are toys and any implied value of the sets is relative to what someone is willing to pay for it...and if something is worth a lot today, it does not mean it will be that way in the future (I'm looking at you #10179).
    ravot
  • ravotravot USA/ILMember Posts: 9
    thanks for the welcome folks. thankfully, i have a small room for my stuff to be displayed without the wife yelling at me :) . my other hobby is transformers so i have plenty of those detolf cases (custom lit) with some of my toys. 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,204
    Welcome to the forum fellow Illinoisan
    ravot
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 863
    Welcome from the city, and congrats on the little one.
    ravot
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 572
    Welcome from the northwest 'burbs of Chicagoland. And keep telling yourself that you'll only buy Star Wars, that's what I said all those years and hundreds of sets ago...

You and your nephew would probably enjoy attending Brickworld in Schaumburg in June.  My daughter is about his age and we have a great time at that show.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,204
    edited November 23
    The nice thing about being in the Chicagoland area is that we have 5 LEGO stores to choose from (6 if you count the one in WI), a LEGOLAND Discovery Center (in Schaumburg IL, near Woodfield mall-which has a LEGO store there) and a Brickmania store in the same mall as the LEGO store. Never mind the Toys R Us with their exclusive promos, and Walmarts, Targets with their exclusive polys. So,  yeah, the LEGO addiction can get pricey.
    gmonkey76
  • ravotravot USA/ILMember Posts: 9
    thanks again everyone. you're right @madforLEGO so many options for LEGO shopping!