Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Help! Potentially Selling My Collection...

AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,542
edited November 22 in Buying & Selling Topics

I’ve been complating about selling majority of my LEGO collection for a couple years now, it’s simply taking up too much space. I’m also in need of some cash so fund my future projects and some cash so I can stop worrying about how much money I own. It’s literally driving me crazy, I just want to own a few sets.

My Objectives:

- Reduce number of products and items in my possession.

- Need cash quickly so I’m not constantly getting overdrawn or not able to purchase the latest products that I really want.

- Have a very simple and small manageable collection without over crowding and creating a mess both on display and storage.

What do you guys suggest? I guess getting a small job for some income would be a start, however m I’d like to tackle the space issue too so I can have a suitable working environment for my MOCs and career.

Also the major question of all, should I sell my earlier sets, the ones I played with between primary and secondary school? Don’t like them at all but I have very vivid memories with them. Especially those that are presents, holiday purchases etc.

I can’t seem to let go of them, I put them in a box to sell then pull them right back out.

All I want is to have a couple sets just to add a little colour to my room not it be covered from floor to ceiling in sets and boxes. Like a normal persons room, not as AFOL.

My Collection:

https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Adzbadboy

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    Adzbadboy said:

Also the major question of all, should I sell my earlier sets, the ones I played with between primary and secondary school? Don’t like them at all but I have very vivid memories with them. Especially those that are presents, holiday purchases etc.

A good way to downsize (with anything) is to select one thing you like and one you don't like and repeat with everything you have until you have a pile to keep and a pile to sell. I guess with lego, you ought to band them, so if you keep a large set, you get rid of a large set too. Then sell the pile to sell. Once you 've sold them, re-evaluate - are you where you want to be, or do you need to repeat? If you need to repeat just do it again, by which time you have got rid of 3/4 of your clutter.

Of course, you can do a keep two and sell one, but it just takes more iterations and if the goal is to clear large amounts out then you will need to do it at some stage. Or you can do keep one and get rid of two which gets you there quicker but can be harder to deal with if you are a hoarder. Getting rid of one in two makes progress but not too fast, so you can re-evaluate before you feel you have lost too much.

Adzbadboydmcc0akunthitaMr_Crosscatwrangler
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 593
    You have an enviable collection!
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 583
    Most people when de-cluttering look for reasons to get rid of something. This is the wrong way to look at it.
    If there's not a good reason for it to stay, it goes.
    Also don't be afraid to get rid of other people's emotional clutter. If you're only keeping something because a particular person gave it to you but you don't like it, get rid of it.
    Oh- and better storage isn't a good long-term answer, it just puts off the time when it needs doing.
    There seems to be a few different themes coming through in your collection, do you have a preference to which ones & can then get rid of the ones you don't really like or only have for completionists sake?
    dmcc0Mr_Crosskiki180703catwrangler
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Salem, MA, USAMember Posts: 324
    My technique for getting rid of stuff that’s cluttering up your space (Lego or otherwise) is to ask yourself one simple question - does this bring me joy/happiness? You ask this question about each and every item and use it to decide what stays and what goes. Works for me every time!

Good luck with deciding and then with the selling part too :-)
    Mr_Cross