Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Anyone into Duplo?

bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 984
Is there anyone here that is into Duplo (and isn't under the age of 5!).I have recently become a bit of a fan and was wondering if there is an afol off shoot - afod? Is there anyone who does Duplo moc-ing etc? 

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    I bought a load of duplicate castle about 8 years ago and it still occasionally comes out, especially when all the neighbours kids come around. It quick to build and less mess than Lego, plus you can make eight foot high castles really easily, ideal for team racing. 
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,493
    I was tempted to build #10834 DUPLO Pizzeria and may still do so if I get a deal on another
    We do keep a tub of it for young houseguesta
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 88
    Wow that duplo castle is impressive!!  Been collecting a few sets here & there for the grandkids to get them into lego.  
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 984
    I found a large carrier bags worth of Duplo today in a charity shop. Had some random bricks, vehicles, half a Bob the Builder set and the most adorable Circus Train. Really nice find. The more I build with Duplo the more I think it might be my new Favourite Thing. 
    catwranglerToc13tallblocktoobandit778
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 198
    I buy them for my kid (who is 1) to play with.  I only bought one set new (a truck), but I've gotten a number on Craigslist, a yard sale, and on-line auction. He is getting a train set for Christmas or Birthday - and that's probably it for new sets. He has quite a pile now - but if I see good deals on used stuff somewhere, he may get more.

You guys are so lucky to find Legos and Duplos in thrift stores. The ones around here largely have Megablocks and other junk - and very rarely, if ever, the good stuff.
    It does seem that Duplo will be more likely to be sold (or passed on to younger children of friends/family etc) rather than people just giving it away. It is a rare find. I feel very pleased with myself for finding it!! 
    By the time I am ready to dispose of them, I think the amount of Duplo we will have sitting around will be a sizeable amount.  Seems fairly unlikely I will be giving them away. But that's also true of the Lego.

But also - they ARE compatible. It may be worth keeping the big blocks around for large wall structure "fill".
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,807
    ^All great points about DUPLO, but when your children span the ages of 12, 3, and 2 - the youngest wants no part of DUPLO when the oldest is building modulars, and playing with those cool little figs where the parts can be changed out.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,487

Here is a group photo of all my current Duplo MOCs.

Johnyk668bookmumprevereLittleLoridavetheoxygenmanpharmjodsnowhitiestluxShib
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 747

Here is a group photo of all my current Duplo MOCs.

Russell: When the little ones in the hood see this photo, they will run to your place to play! I take a gallon bag or so of mostly used Duplo every time I visit my granddaughter, and she adores building with them. Every day I pull a few out of the bag, which I have to hide or she will raid my suitcase and find them all at once. We do wonderful builds on their living room floor, and her creativity at age three astounds me. It is so much fun. 

After I fly home to the Other Coast, we sometimes build Duplo at both places using Skype. The first question she always asks when we Skype is "wanna see your Weggos," which pleases the heck out of me. She is just learning to speak English, so it gets to be more fun every day. (She has been fluent in Mandarin for about a year.)

Now I have to build something else before I Skype her, so that is a real incentive to keep the Duplo out. Once I post some photos, I will link them to this thread.

The things I love the most about building with Duplo is that they are very easy on the hands, especially if you have arthritis, and they are quite easy to see and pick up off the floor BEFORE you step on them. Duplo make me feel joyful and childish and bring me closer to my grandchild. Can't wait to Skype her again after I build something else because she is back in China for a while and the relatives there can see what I am building, too. 

I can't imagine getting rid of the bulk of my Duplo even after (hopefully) other grandkids arrive and grow out of them. There is no reason adults can't enjoy Duplo! For anyone considering getting into Duplo, GO FOR IT!

datsunrobbieLittleLoristlux
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 747
    akunthita said:

Me! In fact, it was the DUPLO Castle line that brought me back to LEGO! I love how fast you can build something big and impressive! And I also quite like the figures, and that all the decorated pieces are printed. One day, I want to build a whole DUPLO kingdom! Here is part of my current DUPLO castle shelf.

Wow! This is just lovely, especially with the background. I mix the very old and new animals making them look older and younger in a group. The older animals are quite bulky and make me smile. Your placement of flags is outstanding taking the eyes up to the top in a sweeping move. The elves and my favorite, the turtle, bring more smiles. Wish I were a kid in your neighborhood! (Please, please, please...Could I could back as your grandchild?)
    snowhitie
  • ggfileggfile CanadaMember Posts: 18
    I collect the Duplo Pirate sets, and also have a few other Duplo sets too.  While I do not normally use Duplo in a MOC, I may use the occasional piece in my builds.

That said, I want to build a very large LEGO MOC mega suspension bridge between 2 tables. If and when I build this bridge, I was going to use a hell of a lot of Duplo for the towers and the foundations of the bridge.

Once completed though, I would think and hope that most people looking at the bridge would be oblivious to the Duplo used to build the bridge. But that said, I think it might be a few years before I get around to building the bridge as I have other projects I wish to do first.
    I got an interesting Duplo piece is a box of bulk Legos today.  It is a big all piece, with a build in sliding door.  As far as I can tell, it is from 1986.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4901c01#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

• KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,493
    It is more likely to find DUPLO at garage sales, maybe because those often have items that kids have outgrown. Still, I often buy the sets on sale much like I do with regular lego.
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 583
    alaskaguy said:
    I got an interesting Duplo piece is a box of bulk Legos today.  It is a big all piece, with a build in sliding door.  As far as I can tell, it is from 1986.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4901c01#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

I picked up a few of those in a big bag of DUPLO. I suspect it was the Playhouse from '86 owing to some of the other parts with it.
    I'd actually only picked up the bag for the Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty sets in it. The mostly complete Playhouse was a bonus
    Kid LOVED this piece!!! Probably more for the newness/novelty, but still...he had a good time just opening and closing the door.

if you want the princess related Duplo... have a fair amount that I will trade for other pieces. If you have any interest, let me know and I’ll get some pictures together.  I’d be interested in trading for things we don’t have, not just blocks and cubes and such.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 964
    Using Duplo every day here to build stands for cellphones and tablets. The stands are evolving daily depending on which devices are being used and how they need to be positioned. 

bichuelobookmum
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 485
    I bought the recent set with Santa in it.  Some of the older sets like pirates would interest me however I imagine they are rather pricey on the secondary market. 
    What did you think of the recent Santa set?  I thought it would’ve been a good addition to our Christmas collection.  The wife vetoed it in favor of a friends set to add to the village, but the duplo one might still make it’s way home into our Christmas decoration box.  
    I got the Santa set. I love it. The reindeer is adorable. The tree is so perfectly simple. And the sleigh... it's just beautiful with it's printing on the side (no stickers here). Well worth getting!! 
    I recently found a load of Duplo in a charity shop @tallblocktoo. Duplo tends to turn up a lot in charity shops because many parents just pass it on when their kids out grow it. Good bargains for me!! 
    tallblocktooKingAlanI
    Thanks for the review bookmum!  Yep, that set might well end up in our Christmas decor now.
    bookmum