Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How pure are you?

alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 198
edited November 27 in Everything else LEGO
I've been in the midst of sorting bulk purchases...which I will be doing for a WHILE...and it has generated two questions:

1). Will you keep and use a Mega Blocks piece, if it is cool/interesting and something not available from Lego?

2). Would you paint Lego pieces to get the colour you want?

I've been throwing all the Mega Blocks pieces in the trash, where they generally belong, but I have come across a few very interesting pieces - one of which is a base plate (https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/u8EAAOSwdW9aDbcu/s-l225.jpg).  It's pretty high quality - much thicker than any Lego plates I've seen.  I think I'm going to keep it.

I'm also in the process of making a Lego table for my kid - and to make it look "living room compatible" and to keep my wife happy, I am painting the two base plates (48x48 studs) brown to match the furniture (https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Gray-Baseplate-10701). FWIW, the paint came out really good (you can still see "Lego" on the studs) - but I will let it sit for a couple of weeks before trying any Legos on it.

Just wondering if doing one or both of these things are generally vomit-inducing to most of you guys, or what. 

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,316
    alaskaguy said:

I'm also in the process of making a Lego table for my kid - and to make it look "living room compatible" and to keep my wife happy, I am painting the two base plates (48x48 studs) brown to match the furniture (https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Gray-Baseplate-10701). FWIW, the paint came out really good (you can still see "Lego" on the studs) - but I will let it sit for a couple of weeks before trying any Legos on it.

I’d have opted for 32x32 baseplates in reddish brown as a better solution

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=710&idColor=88&view=buy&ccName=6093974#T=S&C=88&O={"color":88,"ss":"UK","iconly":0}

But thats mainly because of bot of not wanting to deal with any paint flaking off.

the way I see it is, it’s your LEGO, do whatever the hell you want with it.
    sid3windrYodalicious
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 81
    @Huw that's pretty brutal!  I don't know if I could do it without closing my eyes and crying a little, but sometimes you just have to have that one part!
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 198
    edited November 27
    Shib said:
    I’d have opted for 32x32 baseplates in reddish brown as a better solution
    Much higher cost too. Even the cheapest priced U.S. seller on the link you provided would cost me $84 to get the same coverage I got for $42. Big difference...even before shipping cost (:
    Shib said:
    the way I see it is, it’s your LEGO, do whatever the hell you want with it.
    Of course. I certainly intend to (:   I was just curious if others are keeping interesting Megablocks pieces and/or painting Legos as needed, or if they avoid doing so....and under what circumstances they may do either.

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 536
    I'm a purist. MB all go in the trash. But sometimes I think a piece can't possibly be LEGO and I look more carefully or hunt bricklink and I was wrong. I'd have to be really desperate to cut a piece. Even when I was a kid, I only cut a handful of pieces.

I'm guessing the brown paint will come off the base plates pretty fast once they go into use. LEGO clutch power depends on fairly close tolerances, and no paint is made to endure that kind of abuse.
    OldfanSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,248
    Paint will wear off studs if you use it with Lego or MB.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 606
    edited November 27
    I'll sometimes cut Star Wars blasters or bars. Cutting the rifles a certain way makes excellent handguns. But any Non-Lego gets trashed. Though I've never gotten any good Non-Lego stuff, like Brickarms. I probably wouldn't chuck those.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 416
    For the people throwing out stuff, do you not have goodwill or salvation army donation type places near you?  Most will even come pick stuff up.  

As for the question at hand, I am a purist, I wouldn't cut or paint any bricks.
    FowlerBrickskiki180703BrickByBrickmak0137
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 609
    I'm one of those who is willing to own both Lego and MB products. I'm heavily weighted towards Lego though. (Like 50 to 1) I usually only keep built MB sets and extra go into a separate box for just MB parts. LEGO parts on the other hand are sorted and stored by type and size for ease of MOCing. 

Also I refuse to cut any parts, no matter the brand as I feel I may just need that longer part one day and kick myself for it later.
    I'm a purist. MB all go in the trash. But sometimes I think a piece can't possibly be LEGO...
    I've had MANY such pieces.  I can't believe the variety these days.
    I'm guessing the brown paint will come off the base plates pretty fast once they go into use. LEGO clutch power depends on fairly close tolerances, and no paint is made to endure that kind of abuse.
    Yeah...I'm thinking the same thing, but I can always "repaint".  The question is, how often will it be necessary?  I'm also wondering if a clear coat over the paint will help.
    Hanzo said:
    For the people throwing out stuff, do you not have goodwill or salvation army donation type places near you?
    Yes - as well as Home Depot and Costco.
    Clear coat / varnish or repainting will make it worse. It thickens up the layers, makes it harder to put bricks on, just increasing the problem each time.
    CCC said:
    Clear coat / varnish or repainting will make it worse. It thickens up the layers, makes it harder to put bricks on, just increasing the problem each time.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
    Hanzo said:
    For the people throwing out stuff, do you not have goodwill or salvation army donation type places near you?  Most will even come pick stuff up.  

As for the question at hand, I am a purist, I wouldn't cut or paint any bricks.
    Actually, I usually just give the Non-Lego to my younger siblings. I know, I'm a monster. ;)
    gmonkey76HanzoFizyxkiki180703sid3windrAyliffe
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 984
    I generally keep my Lego, Megabloks and assorted cheap brands separate but I have been looking after two girls - age 4 and 5 recently and the boxes have got a bit mixed up. They don't seem to care and I realised that when it comes to children actually playing this shouldn't really matter. The Playmobil, Sylvanians and assorted ponies have also seemed to moved in with the building bricks. It's all fun!! (I have put some of my more precious models away while I am doing this baby sitting). As for painting -  I did paint a Lego horse and add a horn so I could have a unicorn. Unfortunately the horn fell off so now it's just a pink horse. 
    AustinPowerscatwrangler
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 965
    I pull all the non-LEGO bits out of my bulk purchases. There are a few MegaBloks sets that I have kept (Minions!), and lots of K'Nex for building roller coasters. I mix minifigure accessories from other manufacturers right in with my LEGO stuff, so there are BrickArms guns in the same drawer as my LEGO guns.

Most off-brand blocks end up in bags that go back to the thrift store. Trashing them struck me as being wasteful and a bit elitist, as there are kids out there that will be happy to get them - plus, the store gives out paperwork for a tax write-off for donations, and discount cards worth up to 30% off a future purchase (amount determined by the person taking in the donation).

We have two LEGO tables in the living room, which is dominated by LEGO and my grandson's other toys. 
    https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=127731596&source=CAPLA_DF:127731596:TRUS&cagpspn=plat_9077E42E&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID9077E42E:TRUS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjIy5nNbf1wIVkLjACh3urAXQEAQYCiABEgLvpvD_BwE

This is a great little plastic table, with a removable flat cover that makes it good for playing with other stuff. Legs come off for compact storage when not in use, but that rarely happens because this is the table where my grandson eats and plays the most, and in the evenings it becomes an end table. Since our living room decor is "we have a grandson and an AFOL", it fits right in. Found at thrift shop for $5.

https://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-17851-Train-Table-Natural/dp/B000BVN8ZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1511817767&sr=1-1&keywords=kidkraft+train+table+white

This one is a bit bigger. Mine is plain white, and the tabletop is white on one side, green on the other. It's just barely big enough to set up #60051. I decided against gluing down baseplates, preferring to just drop them in place as needed. Pretty sure I would not be able to set up the train on this table if I had baseplates attached to it. This was another $5 thrift-shop purchase for me.

;TLDR - let other kids have most of the off-brand bricks, keep the ones you want to keep, and make a flat top to cover the table in stead of painting.

• MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,844
    I have one Mega Bloks set that I bought on purpose. That’s it. But it’s a good one...
    I would never paint my Lego.
    bandit778
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,014
    I have no problem admitting to owning a small army of Mega Construct Call of Duty World War minifigures, since Lego will probably never cross that line of producing modern war based sets. I do not mix Lego and other brands since sorting Lego parts alone is challenging enough.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,925
    The BMR guys posted an article that was related to this that was prompted by a 4d printed Trolley body that fit over a Lego motor. Here's the link:

http://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/2017/11/01/when-is-a-lego-train-not-a-lego-train-anymore/

I am not in a "purist" in the strictest sense. I've got BMR bearings in my rail trucks, use ME models wide radius curves and bend/shape/cut 3mm rigid hose to suite my needs. 
    CCC
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 406
    Thou shall not cut thy LEGO elements.
    Thou shall not glue thy LEGO elements together.
    Thou shall not paint thy LEGO elements.
    Thou shall not remove the printing from thy LEGO elements
    Thou shall not mingle thy LEGO bricks, accessories, or minifigures with those of other brands.
    Thou shall not create thy own elements.
    Thou shall not create thy own stickers.
    Thou shall not use illegal builds in the creation of thy own creations.

Get the idea?  And yes I don't look down on those have to resort to any of these in their creations.  In my opinion it's normally a lack of creativity or a willingness (in some case literally) to cut comers.

Personally I throw non Lego elements away when I find them.  The only exception is a childhood creation that used some Tyco superbricks because it was the only source of yellow plates I had at the time. The only exception to the no painting rule is I have some 60s printed bricks that I've thought about try to restore the color to.  They embossed, so it's not like I'd be hand painting them.  Given that it wouldn't be original I'm not sure its a good idea.

Rainstorm26mak0137
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,074
    I cut a couple 1x2 dark brown plates in half to get 1x1s to finish the roof in my alt. color Cafe Corner moc. That is the only exception I can remember making.
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 258
    edited November 28

I used to be quite the purist, but have become quite relaxed in that respect in recent years.

I would still not mix other brand bricks into my Lego, i.e. MegaBloks/MegaContrux, Lepin, Best Lock, etc. Not that I have many of their sets anyway.

But I have done some "cruel-modding" recently. For example I hate the way those blue Technic pins stand out at the side of the 10248 F40 hood. Solution: I took two red 32054 and cut off the "bush-end". Replaced the inner pin with a standard black one and the outer end with the sawn-off red one. Voila.
    Come to think of it, I could have simply painted the blue one red. Ah well ;-)

I am also currently building Anio's Venator Star Destroyer, which requires dozens of the
    73587 LBG mini antenna base with LBG lever. As this LBG lever is hideously expensive (even 10179 hasn't got nearly enough of them for this MOC) I bought the standard LBG base with black levers and painted them LBG. Looks great, even at close inspection.
    I also bought two sets of 32x32 baseplates by Strictly Briks (almost 60 different colours altogether), which are great.

So no, I am not a purist any more ;-)
    ecmo47 said:
    The BMR guys posted an article that was related to this that was prompted by a 4d printed Trolley body that fit over a Lego motor. Here's the link:

http://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/2017/11/01/when-is-a-lego-train-not-a-lego-train-anymore/

I'm not a purist either, but I draw the line well before that one piece train body. What's the point of all that hidden and chassis lego when you just see a 3D printed single part body?
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 890
    I don't mix other brands (I don't even HAVE other brands), don't cut pieces, don't paint... I've thought about cutting baseplates but in the end I didn't.

I do use custom printed pieces, brickstuff lighting things, pondering a 4DBrix monorail track part or 2, and maybe some 4DBrix switch motors... Ah, and an SBrick and likely a BuWizz in the future, as well, both for bluetooth control of creations.

Somewhere "medium" on the purist scale I guess?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,792
    I did once cut one of the Ninjago Airjitzu pieces, in order to try to motorise it (which worked, but didn't 'fly'). I don't generally cut pieces, or paint them. I will get them printed onto though, including a couple of pieces I got printed green because Lego don't do them in green!

As for Megabloks, what is this filth you speak of?
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,298
    Plenty of custom-printed pieces (mostly minifigure parts), but that’s pretty much it for me.

But I’m fine with whatever people want to do. As others have said, it’s their LEGO.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,243
    And yes I don't look down on those have to resort to any of these in their creations.  In my opinion it's normally a lack of creativity or a willingness (in some case literally) to cut comers.
    Calling someone lazy (cutting corners) and saying they have a lack of creativity seems pretty much like the definition of looking down on them. Perhaps I have a poor understanding of what condescension means though.
    sid3windrgmonkey76
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,789
    I'm purist to the extent of getting annoyed when people call clone brands "Lego".

However, I have taken a Dremel to some parts recently and glued them to some non-Lego parts. Needs must!

... and then there was that time I bought a Lepin SSD so I could review it on Brickset
    snowhitie
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 216
    When I sorted a bulk lot, I put all the MB aside for the kids to play with (they don't really play with it... I think my snobbishness rubbed off on them). But I kept a small handful of MB pieces that Lego doesn't make and that are really useful... the most useful is a 2x2 plate with studs on both sides. That thing is SUPER userful. I kept (but never used) a round 1x1 tile with a bar out the side: Lego has now created that piece, so I'll be able to retire the MB ones. I may be a snob but mainly because MB quality wasn't up to par with Lego's. They've improved somewhat over the years so that's less of a concern. Now it's mostly just snobbery.

Otherwise I was a strict purist: I don't even consider pieces held together by Lego-branded elastics to be legal. But then I bought some rail switches from 4DBrix which are really nice and which fill a gap in what Lego provides. They're 3D printed so the quality isn't as good as injection-molded ABS but otherwise they are perfect. They capture the the design language of the Lego track perfectly and improve on what's available and what's possible. Snobbery aside, these are just what I needed for my trains and despite not being pure Lego they are a near-perfect addition to my Lego collection (only two things could make them more perfect: 1. ABS injection molding, which would improve the tolerances and finish slightly, and 2. If they were actually made by Lego I could remain purely snobby).
  • Brixfan02Brixfan02 USAMember Posts: 8
    I have a roll of mayka blox tape, but I haven't used it yet and as lego doesn't make anything like it, I suppose it's justified.
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 33
    I can't say I'm a purest as I did a little customizing when I was younger. 

I use to make custom mini figures using stickers and markers.  Little things like making visors for figures before visors were a thing, or using colored tape to create Ninja's before the Ninja line was released.

I don't do that any more, but I've never tried to revert the ones I created back to their original status either. 

As for Megabloks, I have a few Halo and Destiny sets to my name.  I do keep them in my Lego bin, but they are in a large freezer zip-lock bag to keep the sets together.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 890
    pharmjod said:
    Perhaps I have a poor understanding of what condescension means though.
    Condescension is when you talk down to people, dear.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)
    HanzoFowlerBricksBumblepantsGothamConstructionCoOldfan
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 416
     Not to be confused with mansplaining. 
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,243
    Isid3windr said:
    pharmjod said:
    Perhaps I have a poor understanding of what condescension means though.
    Condescension is when you talk down to people, dear.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)
    I have an amazing grasp of sarcasm though...
    SumoLegogmonkey76GothamConstructionCo
  • BrickmanBrickman Ol' Brick SquareMember Posts: 42
    I'll use ball bearings as a counter weight for a crane, fishing line as rope and stickers. Everything else I make of LEGO is 100% pure LEGO :)
    vwong19
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,014
    I do fishing line as rope also since I can't stand to have frayed rope.
    Brickman
  • myscrnnmmyscrnnm Seattle, WAMember Posts: 22
    I consider myself pretty "pure" when it comes to LEGO. I would never use any Mega Blok elements simply because of the poor quality. I do however buy a few BrickArms because their quality is quite good. I've also never been faced with a situation where I would consider painting my own bricks, but I do own a few Citizen Brick printed elements like tiles and torsos that LEGO does not or would not make.
    gmonkey76
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,545
    I'm probably something of a hypocrite when it comes to this.

When building a singular Lego set, it will be built as is and will be taken apart and kept as the set in question. When it comes to buying multiples to build a bigger version of the set they will be built together then when I'm done they will be separated into the right amount if pieces to make the individual sets complete. So where my sets are concerned I'm purist to the point of being anal about it.

On the other side of the coin, I have had custom printed minifigures and certain tiles made to do a specific build and also have some engraved bricks for the same reason.
    I also brought 3 of part 2573 in Orange to spray paint in MSG for my bricklinked #10030 just in case I couldn't mange to find a brick built alternative that I was happy with.

I also currently own 1 Mega Blocks set (the build a minion set which I picked up from Argos for £15 because it was cheap) and at some point will be getting the large Enterprise Set just because I like it and both of which will be kept complete when I dismantle them just like my Lego sets.

So for my own building pleasure from parts or where other makes of set are concerned I will do what I have to to get the required effect and will lose absolutely no sleep about it.

Just for the record, I will buy other brands if it takes my fancy but I will not by copied sets.

MaffyDCCC
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 289
    Pure in that I don't mix Lego with other brands or do any modification, but there's are few mega construx sets I am very interested in buying...
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 401
    As pure as the freshly-fallen snow in the wilderness... Once, there was a dark time in my early childhood where LEGO had not yet established hegemony over the swath of toys I chose to play with. In those confusing times, MegaBloks and Tyco bricks and pieces infiltrated my nascent LEGO ranks, and there was chaos. But time passed, my collection grew, and other toys, like stuffed animals, action figures, model trains, and die-cast cars were cast aside, steamrolled by the advancing LEGO hordes. Finally, in my teenage years, I found time to purge off-brands from the loose bricks that were the foundation of my collection. From that day forth, nothing else has existed alongside my LEGO sets.

Of deforming, mutilating, or altering LEGO pieces. . . that is never uttered.
    vwong19
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 95
    I only build my sets according to the instructions, can it get even more pure? :)
    HanzoFowlerBricksWolfpackBandit
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 741
    Total purist here (and proud of it).

The only exception is in terms of removing flick fire missiles and adding (LEGO) stands for display, so I'm not displaying the exact set according to the instructions in some cases.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,844
    Just realised that I’ve got a bit more than one set. It’s a bit insidious, how it creeps in. I have some Kre-o and a bit more MB that I’d forgotten about until I went into my office. And there’s an Airfix set in my wish list. Blame my hankering for rather specific licensed products.
    Fizyx
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 81
    @MaffD I hear you there.  The fact that MB owns the rights for Star Trek and Pokemon in the buildable block space has been pushing me to get several specific sets just for those franchises, although they would, of course, be kept strictly segregated from the LEGO.

I do also have a small Nanoblock collection, but luckily they don't really mix with LEGO at all, so it's not hard to keep them separate.
    MaffyD
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,804
    I'm pretty pure, I think the only exception is an off brand set my parents bought me when I was little which got mixed up with my old bricks, and I used some of it to rebuild some models. the clutch power was terrible, we had to glue the model or it wouldn't stay together, which may be why they never bought me off brand models again.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 519
    I'm pure in the sense that I wouldn't cut or paint Lego, but at the same time I do have a few sets of 'Other' brands, such as Mega Bloks, Lepin, and Wange. All those are kept separate from my Lego collection, so there's no risk of them getting mixed up. 
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 199
    I have no other off brands. My son received some lego type toys (Chinese stuff), but after he build them, they were sent to his grandparent`s house so "that he can have some toys there as well". I wouldn`t stand to know that some bricks from those sets would find their way in our parts collection.

• AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,542
    I don’t take any interest in what the competitor products are.

I refuse to cut, modify any LEGO piece. My MOCs only contain LEGO parts and stickers; no custom decals, printing etc. It’s part of the ‘puzzle’, you have to figure it out.
    Mynatt
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,789
    I have lots of modulex bricks that have been cut and glued. But that's what you were supposed to do with them, right?!
    MaffyD
    I'm now considering trying decals on some of my useless minifig parts.