Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego Birthday Party for kids

snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,983
Having just had a Lego birthday party for an 8 year old Birthday party I thought to create a thread for people for inspiration.

There were a couple of old topics about the favours, Party favours for a 5 year old and someone looking for figures.

And @Speedman29 talked about the train building Lego birthday party here and here

He's promissed to add to the thread other things he thought about, but this is already what he told me before I started on mine.
  • LEGO brick crayons, get loads of old broken crayons, lay pieces in a silicone brick shaped ice cube tray and stick in the microwave for a bit, wax melts and makes crayon bricks (does leave a waxy film on the tray afterwards so might not be able to use it afterwards)
  • Sainsburys Create the World cards made nice party bag fillers
  • Badges, using more create the world cards and a badge making machine. Cut out minifigure faces and press into the badges.
  • Table confetti. More create the world cards, funny shaped hole punches or just cut out shapes and scatter on the table, we also used old LEGO CMF leaflets too.
  • Brick juice boxes. http://www.deliacreates.com/lego-juice-box-bricks/
  • Place mats. Print out minifigure faces onto yellow paper and laminate. Makes fun place mats.
  • Print out some LEGO colouring sheets for the party bags. There are dozens of free ones out there, we found a LEGO word search that we printed on the other side of the sheets. Couple in a party bag bulks it out a bit!
We had our party on Sunday for six 8 year olds (one cancelled at the last minute). You can see more pictures in the Flickr album if interested. I'm not showing any kids though, so you'll have to take my word for the happy faces.
  • Preperations, a week in advance I made my own jelly gum sweets in Lego shapes. They had great succes. You could make them in chocolate as well. I had one big chocolate one that I silver sprayed, just to bring some ‘bling’.
  • Decoration: I have used a lot of stickers from the DK sticker books. It was great, I used a banner that we've had out a couple of times and decorated them with some big minifigure stickers. On the two tables I used a simple paper tablecloth and also used lots of big and little stickers. 
  • When the time came to eat cake, they had fun pointing out the ones they liked and looking for 'easter eggs'. My son had made some jokes, like a batman head on a Robin body, or giving the stormtrooper some money to go and buy presents, etc.
  • The welcome sign at the door got the sticker treatment too. Then I just used big Lego storage containers (like the head) to give a bit more atmosphere.
  • I tried to draw Lego faces on the balloons, but the balloons being, well balloon shaped, this kind of failed!
  • Each kid got a baseplate, a couple of animals (well, 2 or more of the same kind), 2 brickseperators and a selection of minifigs (men/women/kids/friends). Then we all sat round the big bag of Lego and started building a piece of the zoo. To have a good enough selection I added painfully sorted MOC pieces, I’ll have fun getting those out again (hm hm). But it was nice for the kids to have a good selection.

• I had previoulsy build the entrance and had put some tiles on the sides so they would connect at the end. One mistake I made was that the baseplates slided together nicely but you couldn't connect them. I should have left 1 row of studs open on each side and then put 2x2 over when they were together. Also, men standing on baseplates fall over a bit, so I actually ended up removing some of the 2x2 tiles so the figs could stand. I think this would have been better with jumper plates maybe, but it worked, nobody is perfect :)
  •  The middle baseplate I had forseen to be the ‘playground’ and I suggested that everyone could ad to that, which was duly done. This gave the kids who build their pen quicker something else to do as well. The really motivated onces decided to make a car park and an extra shed for animals on some extra plates too.
  • This kept us busy for an hour and a half no problem. It was amazing to see how the kids helped each other out ('this is how you make a river') and they had lots of fun looking for pieces and when they found a special one (like a bone or a fish) they always asked if someone could use it.

• Then it was cake time. We also had the sweeties and some Lego head shaped biscuits.
  • Beforehand my son and I had baked biscuits in the shape of Lego men. Here I made my second mistake, I usually make these shapes in gingerbread dough, but opted for a butter biscuit. They got a bit of a rise so were a bit less lego-y when they came out the ove, but the biggest problem was that they are softer so break easier. This was an issue because the idea was to let the kids ice the biscuits. I bought a pack of 5 colours icing from Dr.Oetker instead of making my own mixtures and having to stand there and stir while kids were waiting. It worked really well and gave something totally different to do while staying in the Lego theme. They could take these home with them after.
  • Some kids went back to fiddling with the zoo, and then some wanted to build with instructions. I’ve got a big box with ziplock bags with (mostly) creator 3 in 1 sets for when kids come over and some kids got seated at small tables and started doing those. A couple of the kids played upstairs for the last 20 minutes, but I was suprised at how long they kept building in one go. 
  • I had also put some Lego games ready and printed out some colouring sheets but these were not needed.
  • The party favours: I made a small Lego present for each kid modelled on one of the presents the Christmas build-up from 2016, this together with some (wrapped) sweeties in a zip-lock foodsafe bag and on the outside, more DK sticker book stickers. Their own Lego biscuits were taken on plates;

Other ideas I had or saw but didn’t do:

• Make a Lego-themed photo booth, with the dressing up stuff we got (Batarang, Ninjago suit, Knexo-shield) but here in Belgium we don’t do those kind of things too often so decided against it.
  • Get coloured papers A4 and cut out circles on each other one, then paste them on top of the first sheet and you’ve got kind of Lego bricks to hang up in the house.
There we are, you can find some more pictures in my flickr album, I do hope this long read might be of interest to someone and feel free to add ideas for other people too.
stluxWookie2FizyxMegtheCatToc13brickventuresecmo47ew027Speedman29Mr_Crosskendalbricksflordbandit778SeijiAmasawacatwranglermak0137KerreFowlerBricksMaffyDLEGO_Dad77

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,923
    Love it when members take the time to write these very useful mini-articles. This should be posted on the front page and saved for future reference. Well done, Snowhitie!
    snowhitiegmonkey76
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,195
    Thanks @snowhitie, very useful post. 
    I'm currently organising my LUG's Christmas party, and while a lot of the ideas for kids won't translate to adults and vice versa, I may have some ideas to add after the event, depending on how successful they were! 
    snowhitiestlux
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 683
    As @snowhitie said, we had loads of fun planning and preparing the party. Lily and her friends loved it and there were lots of nice comments from the parents as they picked their kids up.

The other thing we put in the party bags were TLBM CMFs, one of the supermarkets was doing them for £1.50 each, which on top of the freebie printables and crafty items wasn't too bad. Were lucky that Mrs Speedman is into her crafts a lot and she has a vast stash of bits and pieces and gadgets. Her laminator and badge making machine have paid for themselves many times over.
    LostInTranslationsnowhitiestluxcatwrangler
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 153
    I've made minifig chocolates using three ice trays. Time consuming, but well worth the results
    snowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    Another good game but for older kids is to work in teams to build the highest tower they can from either 1x1 bricks or 1x1 round bricks. Give them a small plate for the base (3x3 if possible) and see how high they can get their towers in five minutes, which must be free standing with no support. It is pretty impossible to get very high before they start to topple. Even better if they need to do some running around to get the parts, as this makes them a bit more clumsy.

snowhitiestluxcatwrangler
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 683
    /\ that was the opening build as the kids arrived at a LEGO workshop we went to.

The organisers of our bridge building party do a "Happy Birthday" mosaic build to start the party. they have about 40 8x8 plates that make up the message, each one comes in a bag with the instructions and the kids started as soon as they got there. it allows for the late comers nicely
    snowhitiecatwrangler
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,316
    Looking at @snowhitie’s photos, I like the tigers with no fences around them, but what looks like armed keepers to keep them in place.
    snowhitiecatwrangler
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,983
    edited November 29
    @shib, indeed, I also liked how that boy just kept adding flowers but didn't want to listen to the other kids that he needed a fence.

I'm glad my little write-up is proving useful!

When I was racking my brains about a build that would fit together I thought about a castle build (with an agreed layout, the
    foundation tiles built), different shops in a mall or rides in an amusement park.

However, I wanted to give each kid the possibility to use his or her skill-set and not make it overly complicated. Plus they might need special bricks or items that provided. Moreover, who doesn't like animals!

It turned out to be a very cat-orientated zoo but I really didn't want anyone fighting over the 'cool' animals (plus I've got a limited number of beasts). The kids didn't get to choose though, they were given and that worked out okay.

The boy who did the jaguars really left a nice row empty for people to look at them in safety. Was quite impressed with the relative stability of such a long row. Also loved the dolphin with his/hers nose in a book.

The zoo has been played with nicely since Sunday too, one of my son's friend came over after school and they just giggled and played until it was time for music lessons. Apparently it's never coming down, what did I do?
    stluxbandit778catwrangler
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 583
    Zoos seem to be very popular. My two build one whenever the Duplo comes out. Maybe Lego can get the hint :-)
    I may have to bookmark this thread for future use
    snowhitie
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,539
    Glad the party was a success @snowhitie and liked how the zoo the turned out at the finish.

Also have to congratulate you on a truly wonderful Lego themed food spread, the cake and biscuits made my mouth water. :)
    snowhitie
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 255
    Love the zoo & very nice to see the minidolls and the minifigures coexisting so well!
    Toc13mak0137snowhitie
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,577
    Fantastic ideas; I'll keep this thread in mind if I wind up with kids in the house needing entertained! (We had an unexpected one a couple of weeks ago, but alas, the attic Lego isn't very practical to get at right now! Nextflix Kids stepped into the breach, but it's nicer to be able to give them activities and ways to create...)
    snowhitie
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 724
    We have decided to do a Lego party next year so it's nice to see some ideas. Will need to adapt stuff as its a joint party (boys birthdays are 1 day appart) in a hall so will have 40 odd kids to wrangle.  I expect lots of freebuilding.  To complicate matters it needs to be the same weekend we are displaying at a comicon! Thankfully we have plenty of time to sort but should be an interesting weekend.