Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Power problem on Horizon Express

onebadbugonebadbug pittsburghMember Posts: 5
edited November 30 in Building and Techniques
throwing this out there, I converted my Lego Horizon express to 9v electric and using two motors.. one to pull, one to push, but after about 5 min of running the train slows down extremely and stops, why is this? I tried to use one motor and there is no power at all to pull the full set (2 together) and use the power functions and no power at all again to pull the entire train, does not make sense, I see others running with no problem.......any help??

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,205
    If you've tried two 9V motors together, and one PF motor and both can't pull the train, you either have some wheels that are too tight and not rolling freely or in some way there is too much friction with the track.  Either that or all of your motors are dead.  I have a double length train and one PF motor works just fine.  

Verify that with the battery power off, and with the 1 PF motor on the train (and not the 9V motors) that you can very easily push the train around the track.  Shouldn't take much at all to get it rolling.  My guess is that the 9V motors were overheating due to too much strain.

Other than that I can't think of anything that would be a problem.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 965
    I don't have that one, but it looks very similar to #60051 that I just set back up. It moves pretty quickly with just one motor, in either forward or reverse. 
  • onebadbugonebadbug pittsburghMember Posts: 5
    I tried that, eliminated the 9v motors, try them separate and work just fine, put one PF motor and pack with new batteries, checked the wheels all roll freely, and just one PF motor does not pull or push the entire train like there is no power. all motors are brand new even the 9v that  I bought off ebay new in the boxes. ONe other 9v train I have works just fine swapping out the motors...........a real head scratcher!!
    I have the high speed bullet (white) with extra cars and it works just fine. I think the horizon express has too much weight for motors.....
    How does it do if you run only the locomotive with no other cars?
    runs good  but when add the cars it gets weakier as I add
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,964
    It seems to me that since the train slows after 5 min of running that you are building resistance as you go. These 9v parts aren't getting any younger. I would check the wires that power the track. I have seen some of them get brittle over time and crack. That could lead to a temporary short circuit when they heat up due to the load from the two motors and the very heavy train. I would also swap out your controller with a different one. There could be a problem there also. If you need to you can always run two controllers in your set up. Just make sure the polarity is the same by running one at a time making sure the motors pull the same direction. 
    Next thing I would try is dragging the bullet cars with the Horizon express locomotive, and pulling the Horizon cars with the bullet locomotive. Or maybe swapping the motors between those two locomotives. Sort of like repairs on a DEC PDP-11 computer, just swapping parts in sequence until it works.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,792
    HE is a pretty heavy train. It also has technic wheels which bind more than the metal axle wheels, which doesn't help.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,964
    edited November 30
    ^ While I would agree with that statement for an unpowered HE, the powered HE replaces the technic axled truck with a motor. The rest of the trucks are the plastic housing with metal axles. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,248
    If you don't mind a bit of modding, there is also the possibility of using bearings to reduce friction in the carriages. I haven't done it for HE (I don't have it) but have done it for other MOC carriages.

I learnt about it here:
    https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/140479-ball-bearings/

stlux
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,792
    oldtodd33 said:
    ^ While I would agree with that statement for an unpowered HE, the powered HE replaces the technic axled truck with a motor. The rest of the trucks are the plastic housing with metal axles. 
    Oh yes I forgot about that. I was thinking about the mods I did on mine to reduce the number of wheels. I converted them all to jacob bogies except where they met the cabs. But then, I do have twelve coaches (including cabs)...

Two PF motors pull all twelve easily :)
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 92
    Have you tried lubricating it with silicone spray? Just keep it off the track and wheels so it doesn't slip.
    I think I got it.......im using two controllers on either end of the layout, I set the speed so they are equal in power and seems to be running great now.......I had it running for almost 2hrs with no problem. Guess this train needs more than normal power to work!!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,205
    How big is your layout?  And in your initial test were you using one speed controller only hooked up to the track in one spot?  If so that is likely your problem.  You don't necessarily need 2 speed controllers, you just need to run power to more points on the track from the same controller.