Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Curious case of tampered Disney set?

ArtArt SingaporeMember Posts: 2
Hello everyone,

I only just started buying Lego sets and I recently bought the Disney castle from an online seller. I inspected the box upon collection and it was properly sealed with 3 clear tapes that has a black stripe. 

However, when I got home and opened the box, the white box inside had a jagged cut at the side. The white box was sealed too but it was a different type of sealing method when compared to the unboxing vids I watched on Youtube (see photos below).

The next thing I found when I emptied the white box was that there were 4 loose Lego pieces. This should not be the case because the pieces should be in the plastic bags. I kind of figured out that the cut at the side was made so that the loose pieces could be stuff inside the white box. I went ahead to check all the plastic bags and 2 bags split open easily but I'm not sure if it was my mishandling or that there were cuts made to retrieve some Lego pieces.

I counted the numbered bags and there were 33 in total. There was one bag that was not numbered. I did not count the smaller bags inside the numbered bags because I did not want to open all of them. I checked the minifigs and found all 5. I also roughly checked the pieces in the bags and they had the lego imprint on them. So my guess is that the set is likely to be tampered but as to what was taken or done, I can't figure that out.

I plan to build it probably in end Dec so I hope I won't discover any missing pieces during the process. Just thought I share with everyone here and I will appreciate if you have any opinions about this. Thanks!

Photos below:

Comments

• PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 216
    Looking up the set, it says there should be 34 bags.  Make sure you count 34 not 33.  It would be weird if someone went to all that trouble to steal one bag.  I don't know how someone could seal a set back to make it look unopened.  Be sure to contact eBay or whatever site the seller used if it turns out stuff was stolen.
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 88
    Perhaps the 34th bag was the one for the loose pieces?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,047
    I think the only plausible reason someone would pilfer the set would be for the minifigures, particularly Tinkerbell.

Frankly, LEGO Customer Service ought not to care where you got the set - they'll replace any missing pieces or entire bags.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    Check mnifigs first. The check bricklink for expensive parts in the set, and check those ones are there.
  • ArtArt SingaporeMember Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments so far.

I decided to do a thorough check yesterday night and this is what I've come up:

Total numbered bags = 33
    • Bag 1 x 4
    • Bag 2 x 1
    • Bag 3 x 2
    • Bag 4 x 2
    • Bag 5 x 2
    • Bag 6 x 3
    • Bag 7 x 2
    • Bag 8 x 2
    • Bag 9 x 2
    • Bag 10 x 3
    • Bag 11 x 3
    • Bag 12 x 4
    • Bag 13 x 2
    • Bag 14 x 1
    Total unnumbered bags = 1

Total small plastic bags inside numbered bags = 20 

There is also a very small white box in Bag 2.

I checked the minifigs again below:
    • Mickey in Bag 2
    • Minnie in Bag 5
    • Donald and Daisy in Bag 10
    • Tinkerbell in Bag 13
    I've mentioned earlier about the 2 bags splitting open easily, so I went to check the pieces with the instruction booklet and none was missing. I also found out that the loose pieces were suppose to be inside Bag 6 and that this bag is packed inside the white box. So my best guess would be that a mistake happened during packaging? Probably someone realised that Bag 6 had less pieces during quality control and the loose pieces were stuffed through the cut to make it up. 

Well at least I'm quite relieved that nothing is missing. Hope the above info about the bags can be useful to others too!