Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Acquiring Set Instructions

JMDiggerJMDigger Westchester, NYMember Posts: 1
Hi all! I am new to Brickset.  3 questions:

1. What's the best way to acquire original set instructions for sets that I want to sell? 

2. I have about 30 incomplete sets.  Some are missing only 5 or 10 pieces and some larger sets are missing over 100 pieces.  Some pieces are basic bricks and others are more specialized.  I've supplemented what I can from my own collection.  I know that Lego will send pieces for free but I imagine that has to be limited.  I know I can purchase pieces online from Lego (which sounds like it takes forever).  I know about Pick-A-Brick in Lego stores and I know I can purchase bulk from ebay.   I'd love to know how others go about finishing their sets.

3. I got into Lego when my young son started building.  I came to realize that while he only built by following the instructions, other kids (and adults) preferred free building.  So out of necessity he only played with new sets.  We've been given many random Lego pieces and incomplete sets over the years which is how my collection started.  Will the general public or parents whose kids free build buy Lego sets without instructions?    

Looking forward to hearing from some of you. Thx.

Jessica


Comments

  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 997
    Welcome to the forum!

    1. Bricklink.com
    2. Bricklink.com
    3. I buy loose LEGO parts at a local thrift store nearly every week. Craigslist has lots of listings. 
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 223
    JMDigger said:


    3. I got into Lego when my young son started building.  I came to realize that while he only built by following the instructions, other kids (and adults) preferred free building.  So out of necessity he only played with new sets.  We've been given many random Lego pieces and incomplete sets over the years which is how my collection started.  Will the general public or parents whose kids free build buy Lego sets without instructions?    

    Looking forward to hearing from some of you. Thx.

    Jessica



    The answer to this one is a resounding yes.  It's pretty common on eBay and Craigslist to see sales or auctions of LEGO by the pound/kilo, with it just being a random assortment of bricks.  Sometimes they will have descriptions of partial sets in the mix, but most often not.  People who buy by the pound know they are getting a grab bag!

    (I support @datsunrobbie for 1 and 2 as well.)
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,958
    A word of caution about #1. I have been buying and selling new and used Lego sets since 2011. The after-market for Lego sets, both new and used, has taken a big hit in the last few years for a number of reasons: 1) everybody is doing it. 2) Lego is producing more sets in greater numbers then in years past. 3) Chinese copies of valued sets. What I'm saying is that you will very likely be hard pressed to recoup much for your investment of time and effort. 

    To reiterate what the others have said, Bricklink is the way to go for all things Lego. If you haven't found it yet, here is the a link:

    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page

    Yes, Lego will send you pieces if your missing something out of a new set, but they will not replace parts for 30 old sets so Bricklink is your answer.

    Do you know that you can pull down official Lego Instructions for here on Brickset? That might be a better way to go.

    Cheers!

     
    legogal
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 673
    ecmo47 said:
    A word of caution about #1. I have been buying and selling new and used Lego sets since 2011. The after-market for Lego sets, both new and used, has taken a big hit in the last few years for a number of reasons: 1) everybody is doing it. 2) Lego is producing more sets in greater numbers then in years past. 3) Chinese copies of valued sets. What I'm saying is that you will very likely be hard pressed to recoup much for your investment of time and effort. 

    To reiterate what the others have said, Bricklink is the way to go for all things Lego. If you haven't found it yet, here is the a link:

    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page

    Yes, Lego will send you pieces if your missing something out of a new set, but they will not replace parts for 30 old sets so Bricklink is your answer.

    Do you know that you can pull down official Lego Instructions for here on Brickset? That might be a better way to go.

    Cheers!

     
    Although, on that last point, I’m pretty sure LEGO would not appreciate you downloading instruction PDFs then printing and reselling them. They have copyright.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,326
    ^I don't think anyone is recommending printing and selling PDF's of Lego instructions. I like that there are lots of places to find old and current Lego instructions. When I first came out of my "Dark Ages" there were not many places to find Lego instructions. 
    Fizyx
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,958
    ^^ I certainly did not mean to imply that. Used sets with printed off instructions are not any more valuable or sell-able than a set without any. Only official Lego instructions make a used set more valuable, especially if it's a Market Street! 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,399
    ecmo47 said:
     Only official Lego instructions make a used set more valuable, especially if it's a Market Street! 
    It depends on the set and also where the buyer is and what they want to do with the set. I've occasionally had people asking me to ditch the box and instructions of second hand sets to keep the weight down when posting it. Whereas for the more AFOL aimed sets it is worth keeping / getting the instructions. Although sometimes the cost of these is not worth buying them just to sell the set. It is worth checking on any expensive set whether it is worth buying them first.
    Fizyx
Sign In or Register to comment.
Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy