Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Pricing for a premium Rebrickable MOC

Hi everybody, I recently have been eyeing the UCS Millennium Falcon(who hasn’t?) and realized one major thing. I don’t have the money. Or a job. So I decided to post a premium MOC on Rebrickable. Of course I haven’t done it yet, but it’s still an idea. I was planning on doing an alternate build of Ninjago City, given the huge amount of pieces and the fact that people seem to like modular type buildings. But I still can’t decide on how to price it. 10% of the cost is taken by Rebrickable because it’ll be hosted there instead of on a different website. And since it’ll be such a massive build, LDD would be the worst choice for instructions, so I’ve decided to do pictures of the building sequence similar to other MOCers. Any tips and pricing recommendations are welcome. Thanks all. 

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,399
    Take a look and see what other people are charging for something similar. It will of course depend on whether people are willing to pay for what they see. I've seen instructions for modular style buildings sell at about $5, less well at $10. Some people try $20-25 but sell little.

You won't make a fortune.

Fizyx
  • StaffyStaffy Oxford, UKMember Posts: 14
    Be wary of Lepin stealing your stuff
    Fizyx
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 213
    I'm going to guess your path to quickest success with getting the item you want is to get a job. Go work the fry station at McDonald's or whatever every weekend for a month or two and you'll be golden.
    sid3windr
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 979
    CCC said:
    Take a look and see what other people are charging for something similar. It will of course depend on whether people are willing to pay for what they see. I've seen instructions for modular style buildings sell at about $5, less well at $10. Some people try $20-25 but sell little.

You won't make a fortune.

This. Pretty much all the instructions I have seen on Modular style buildings goes between $5-$10. You are going to have to make at least 100 sales (depending on fees) to make enough for the Falcon. It's still could be a good idea, as once you have the instructions uploaded, whatever you make is basically passive income. You might consider starting a blog, YouTube channel, or social media page, where you show your model, and then send people to purchase the instructions. A number of AFOLs do this for their custom models. But if you want to buy the Falcon within the next couple of years, I would say that something like a seasonal job would be a faster and more sure option.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,399
    As an aside, I always like to see photos of a brick built model, better still if a video. Some people just do LDD style plans and say they haven't made it themselves if asked. If they don't love it enough to make it, why would anyone else?

Fizyx
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 734
    I paid $10 from Brick City Depot for a set of instructions for one of their modular buildings. It came with the PDF instructions and brick lists that could be imported into Bricklink.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 223
    CCC said:
    As an aside, I always like to see photos of a brick built model, better still if a video. Some people just do LDD style plans and say they haven't made it themselves if asked. If they don't love it enough to make it, why would anyone else?

Seconding this.  Pictures of interesting features and a video exploration of the set will go a long, long way towards hyping people up for the set, and also show that you are more passionate about your MOC than most people are.  If it's a well-built MOC, that will come through, and you will be rewarded for it in the end.

On top of that, if you can establish a web presence, either youtube or a blog where you post your stuff, or a website of your own, you can try to start building a base of repeat customers who are interested in your work and put their trust in your when it comes to good MOCs.  The caveat here is that you have to very carefully curate your work, and only put out first rate stuff for sale.  Selling subpar work or screwing over repeat customers somehow will tank your reputation far faster than you can build it up.

FINALLY, outside of all that stuff (which is a good idea to do if you love LEGO and making MOCs and wanting to sell them anyway, outside of any particular profit motives for making money to purchase specific things) if you really want the MF any time soon, the other people here are right... you're better off getting a temporary job of some kind.  The other way will take years of effort to build your brand and really start making any money, and it could end up never really making that much money.