Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Bricklink issues

Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 483
So I recently was ordering stuff for a Christmas gift and had some things occur that really pushed me over the top with bricklink and I'm wondering how common/accepted this type of stuff is when it occurs to other people. As someone who is also a seller on ebay I always try and to be understanding because sellers are just people that will make mistakes. However up until recently these mistakes haven't been an issue.
First how common is it for sellers to miss items? I have never made medium size or larger order from 3 or more stores and not had parts missing. Some times the sellers refund me in advance and sometimes they don't. Usually I'm not going to haggle over $0.20, I order often enough that it's not an issue I'll just get it the next time. Since the orders I recently made were for something I needed done by Christmas when the seller missed parts I now have to go back and make another order for $1.20 in parts which leads to my next issue.

What is with the absolutely absurd nickle and dime (but more than just a couple of cents) fees? It took me almost twenty minutes to find a seller than didn't have random bull fees. As a seller I never tack-on fees just calculate it into pricing but the fees here were ridiculous. Anwyhere from$1.00-$3.00 in 'packaging'  or 'handling' fees. Handling is part of selling the item you shouldn't be charging extra for it and packing shouldn't be more than $0.25 which should just be added onto shipping. Setting minimum lot averages on the terms page instead of using the system the prevents buyers from checking out without meeting the average. Setting minimum lot averages on the terms page rather than setting it through the system so it will show up when buying want lists. Charging anything more than $0.50 above first class? The sellers on bricklink are absolutely horrible with this and they abuse the system which will take you from buying a want list straight to checking out which allows sellers to catch unsuspecting buyers with these ridiculous fees and bricklink has no customer service so the seller gets off with no repercussions. I am trying to order around a dollar in parts and it's going to cost me $6?

So in the end sellers won't pull parts until you pay, and if you don't pay you get marked as a non-paying buyer, yet if you pay and they dont have certain parts they simply refund you the price of the parts they missed? Why is this OK? Shouldn't you be able to ask for a full refund, or a refund equal the price it would cost you to replace the parts or just cancel the order because of the sellers ineptitude?

TheFewoldtodd33sid3windrstluxMegtheCatdbrougeFizyx

Comments

• MiniBricks1MiniBricks1 USMember Posts: 47
    I have actually had great experiences with all sellers. The only time there was a mistake in an order, it was an understandable one- two red plates had been shipped instead of two dark red ones. I let the seller know & he instantly sent out replacements.

While I do agree that being charged high fees can be frustrating as a buyer, I do see why many sellers choose to implement them. Factoring in PayPal fees, Bricklink fees, shipping supplies, etc., a noticeable chunk can be taken out of your sale. I personally charge a $0.50 fee on most orders- I feel that is a good amount that helps a lot to offset costs of supplies, while also being small and reasonable.

In the instance of a seller realizing that parts are missing, IMO they should offer to cancel the entire order. Sometimes the missing parts are the reason that buyer placed the order. However, if the buyer still wants the rest of the order, they could let the seller know.

I think that Bricklink implementing instant checkout helps a lot to prevent sellers from charging a bunch of hidden fees- when it is active, you can see the cost before you checkout.
    dutchlegofan50rd1899
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,404
    It is very clear that you have never been on the seller's end of things... I can't blame you for that, but try putting yourself in the other person's shoes here.

Of course sellers don't pack until you pay- about 1/5 of all bricklink orders are made by new users that don't have a clue what they're doing and don't pay (even some users with respectable feedback don't pay sometimes!). Why waste your time then?

Handling fees are necessary to ensure you don't lose money on small orders. Paypal still charges $0.3 on all orders, regardless of whether or not that are big or small.  This also covers the time spent packing the order, printing a label, and taking it to the post office.

I can't comment on the missing parts problem- you should be able to request a full refund/cancel the order.
    edited December 2017
    It is very clear that you have never been on the seller's end of things... I can't blame you for that, but try putting yourself in the other person's shoes here.

Of course sellers don't pack until you pay- about 1/5 of all bricklink orders are made by new users that don't have a clue what they're doing and don't pay (even some users with respectable feedback don't pay sometimes!). Why waste your time then?

Handling fees are necessary to ensure you don't lose money on small orders. Paypal still charges $0.3 on all orders, regardless of whether or not that are big or small.  This also covers the time spent packing the order, printing a label, and taking it to the post office.

I can't comment on the missing parts problem- you should be able to request a full refund/cancel the order.
    Actually, if you add Microtransactions capabilities to your PayPal account, you will be charged 5% + $0.05 on transactions under $10. To get it, I just called them and they were able to add it to my existing account.

Actually, if you add Microtransactions capabilities to your PayPal account, you will be charged 5% + $0.05 on transactions under $10. To get it, I just called them and they were able to add it to my existing account.

Fair point, but most don't know about that, at least as far as I have heard.

Fair point, but most don't know about that, at least as far as I have heard.
    Yeah, and it is still a fee that eats into order profit. Small orders especially need a small fee so the seller doesn’t lose money.
    SprinkleOtter
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 563
    edited December 2017
    Jackad7 said:
    What is with the absolutely absurd nickle and dime (but more than just a couple of cents) fees? It took me almost twenty minutes to find a seller than didn't have random bull fees. As a seller I never tack-on fees just calculate it into pricing but the fees here were ridiculous. Anwyhere from$1.00-$3.00 in 'packaging'  or 'handling' fees. Handling is part of selling the item you shouldn't be charging extra for it and packing shouldn't be more than $0.25 which should just be added onto shipping. Setting minimum lot averages on the terms page instead of using the system the prevents buyers from checking out without meeting the average. Setting minimum lot averages on the terms page rather than setting it through the system so it will show up when buying want lists. Charging anything more than $0.50 above first class? The sellers on bricklink are absolutely horrible with this and they abuse the system which will take you from buying a want list straight to checking out which allows sellers to catch unsuspecting buyers with these ridiculous fees and bricklink has no customer service so the seller gets off with no repercussions. I am trying to order around a dollar in parts and it's going to cost me $6?

There are almost 400 US stores now that support the instant checkout feature, which show you all the postage and fees (if any) in your cart before you commit.  If you don't like the seller's fees, then vote with your wallet and shop somewhere else.  There are many low fee/no fee stores.

https://www.bricklink.com/storeResults.asp?sMM=12&sDD=28&sYY=2017&itemNo=&itemSeq=1&breakType=M&sortBy=1&q=&itemType=&catID=&colorID=&itemYear=&invNew=&sellerLoc=C&countryID=US&regionID=3&shipCountryID=US&moneyTypeID=1&pmtMethodID=&instantCheckoutOnly=on

DadsAFOL said:
    Jackad7 said:

There are almost 400 US stores now that support the instant checkout feature, which show you all the postage and fees (if any) in your cart before you commit.  If you don't like the seller's fees, then vote with your wallet and shop somewhere else.  There are many low fee/no fee stores.

https://www.bricklink.com/storeResults.asp?sMM=12&sDD=28&sYY=2017&itemNo=&itemSeq=1&breakType=M&sortBy=1&q=&itemType=&catID=&colorID=&itemYear=&invNew=&sellerLoc=C&countryID=US&regionID=3&shipCountryID=US&moneyTypeID=1&pmtMethodID=&instantCheckoutOnly=on

Yeah, many stores support it now. It’s great- yesterday I made several purchases to complete a project, and all 5 US sellers I bought from had instant checkout available. The other order was a large one, and from Germany, so very understandable that instant checkout wasn’t activated. It is very helpful to instantly know the total cost of a order.
    I'm a little confused about instant checkout- how is shipping calculated? I mostly sell used sets without the boxes or minifigures. How would Brickset know the right weight for a Toa without its canister?
    I'm a little confused about instant checkout- how is shipping calculated? I mostly sell used sets without the boxes or minifigures. How would Brickset know the right weight for a Toa without its canister?
    It is calculated by weight. They wouldn’t know the weight without the box / instructions so the buyer could very well end up paying for extra shipping. It is a much more efficient for part/ minifig sales.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,623
    In those case, you can overwrite weight and/or shipping dimensions in your inventory. Quite useful also for incomplete sets, etc.
    MiniBricks1
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 298
    I don't charge exact shipping in my store, but I'm very transparent about my rates.  No surprise or hidden fees and my checkout is indeed instant.  No invoicing after the fact.

If I was to offer exact shipping, my store minimum which is only $1 would definitely have to be increased in order to make small orders worth my while.  I've tried to reach a balance with flat rate shipping to still accept small orders.

Yes, it would be great to factor in all costs and fees into your prices, but in order for that to work, Bricklink would likely have to enforce a no fee policy.  Otherwise, the pricing system would be garbage for those factoring in cost vs those that don't.
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 298
    As a builder, I agree with the OP in regards to missing pieces.  I also try to buy from the a limited number of stores to reduce shipping and fees, and it is frustrating to just be offered a refund for missing parts.

When my inventory is incorrect, I do whatever I can to obtain the parts myself if the part is still in production.  I've even Amazon Primed sets overnight to get parts before.  If the part is not available anywhere, I give the buyer the option of canceling/full refund or a partial refund.  I know some sellers will even buy and ship from another store, but I hate using another store to represent my store aka dropshipping.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 997
    Maybe Bricklink will add the "instant check out only" switch to the product search. Currently would have to search for items and then manually compare against a list of stores.
    Maybe Bricklink will add the "instant check out only" switch to the product search. Currently would have to search for items and then manually compare against a list of stores.
    Look for the lightning symbol next to the store name.   
    So with Instant Checkout, is there any way to add in a field for state-specific sales tax?
    So with Instant Checkout, is there any way to add in a field for state-specific sales tax?
    Yes, they just added a sales tax feature.
  • mithridatemithridate HawaiiMember Posts: 28
    Because of experience, I just figure part shortages/inventory glitches into the game, both as seller and buyer — still can be disappointing, but easier to get over.

Most BL sellers operate their stores as a way to offset their addiction, er, hobby expenses, not as a way to churn real profit, so I set my expectation against that (vs TLG/Random Big Corp); and also against how well their terms/descriptions are spelled out.

Of note as well is that every last seller I have dealt with who has made a mistake or sent some subpar parts, was super willing to work with me.