Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.
Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over
to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules
before you join.
Recent discussions • Categories
LDD suggestions and extensions
I have been using LDD (Lego Digital Designer) for a fair time now, and while it's pretty good, I don't know if development is dead on it. I would propose the following few wanted/needed additions:
- addition of older/newer parts. The previously very commonly used Technic 4/6/8 plates are for example nowhere to be found. But there are other idiosyncrasies, for example: we have the Exhaust Pipe (L) but the right one is not included. Close to NONE of the Model Team line is doable, for example, because they make heavy use of parts like that. In addition, fix the "colors ever used" bit - or make it an option to include historical but no longer current colors.
- Some part numbers are missing from the search, though the parts themselves are in the inventory. Same for searching for the names of parts as used on Peeron, for example. I am sure this as well as the previous one could be crowdsourced.
- Related to the previous: allow "favoriting" parts, on a separate tab/palette.
- Visual style of the environments is always a globe, and there is very little one can do to modify that. Please allow loading custom environments, and as such, make a half-globe (hemispheric) environment also possible for the purpose of, say, city, sea or road scenes.
- Allow exporting the scene to some of the more popular render platforms such as iray (as a Daz3D or Blender scene), keyshot or Octane. I am sure people would be welcoming that very much.
- The "generate instructions" sometimes makes things close to impossible to implement and build the way it is shown. Please fix as to get closer to the actual LEGO standards in that respect.
I would like to hear everyone's opinions about this, and in particular feedback from the officials.