Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Stud.io Discussion

CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 131
I don't know if there is a thread for this already, but merge it if there is.

I was using LDD, until I noticed that the outdated brick inventory was catching up to me and I couldn't do the MOCs I want. So I switched to Stud.io.

Overall it's superior. But there are some questions and glaring issues I'd like to address.

Problems:

First is the elephant in the room...obviously missing parts. Stud.io seems to have almost every part, even all the vintage parts and even one-set-only obscure parts. But...no Technic motors?! That makes some of the MOCs I want to do rather difficult now. I mean sure, it has all the old brick motors and stuff, even back to the '60s, but I don't want those! >:( It also doesn't have the PF direction switch (it seems it only has part of some sort of switch), or Technic LEDs. They could implement cables (and even pneumatic tubes) like LDD does by just showing the ends. They don't even have to show the wires as they are obviously implied and any good builder would account for them. Does anyone know about if and when Stud.io will be updated to add more parts?

Another problem is that when you first launch it, it has no keybinds except for the fixed ones. So you have to add all the keys you want before you can do stuff.

There is also a bit of an issue with the build system, in which pieces sometimes refuse to connect even though they clearly can. You can still force drop them with spacebar and they seem to still connect, but still, it's a bit annoying.

Questions:

Is there any way to rotate a piece (fine rotation, not just 90 degrees) while you're holding it?

Is there any way to group select parts (without clicking each one, IE mass select) on either the model or in the model parts list? I want to be able to go back and make step groupings easily after the model is already finished.