Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

New Year's Resolutions Related to Lego?

ethanjwallethanjwall United StatesMember Posts: 117
edited January 12 in Buying & Selling Topics
Do you have any new year's resolutions pertaining to Legos? Whether buying more or *cough* needing to buy less?
legojoshuakerr

Comments

• CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 195
    I have two:

1. Building more real vehicles in Lego SC scale, be it instructions, based on another build, or completely my own thing. Sometimes, it’s better to follow instructions and/or another build, especially when I don’t think I could do any better myself. 

2. Find a way to get the funds needed for the biggest Speed Champions set in the 2018 wave. 
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 16
    To BrickLink Cafe Corner, Green Grocer and Market Street. Admittedly this was also last year's resolution but as is so often the case with resolutions...
    sid3windr
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 525
    My resolution this year is to buy all the Harry Potter sets.

Of course, much easier said than done since my income isn't exactly enough for that.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,399
    ^ Forget the old and concentrate on the new, that will save you some money.

YodaliciousSprinkleOtterJern92Rainstorm26TXLegoguy
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 129
    My goal is to finish Brickadelphia by the end of this school year in June. I'd love to have it up and built by my son's first birthday on Mothers' Day weekend. Once I finish my platforms for my monorail stops, I'll be all set to build the table. Then my boxes of broken-down sets will go underneath.  Should clear up quite a bit of cubic footage in my basement. 
    Fizyx
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 320
    I must figure out a better storage solution for my instruction manuals. Preferably a solution that will work for the next 5 years but I'll take what I can get.
    FizyxdavetheoxygenmanOrmskirkBricks
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 196
    1/ To ignore the amount of money I spend on LEGO bricks
    2/ To ignore the lack of space I have as a consequence of the above
    FowlerBricksFizyxM_Bossmithridatesnowhitie
  • the_creative_boxthe_creative_box SwedenMember Posts: 57
    edited January 10
    Wait to buy Lego until I have some space for it. Also, buy some more storage to find my bricks more easily.
  • Darth_Jar_JarDarth_Jar_Jar NabooMember Posts: 13
    Buy only discounted LEGO
    the_creative_boxYo_dAmithridate
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,999
    My goal is to stop buying Lego altogether and sell off my duplicate sets, then get organised. So far so good except two BL orders for parts so I can sell off a couple of sets. The only purchase I have planned is the new Diner with my  VIP points and get the free set at the end of the month. 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Minnesota, USAMember Posts: 14
    My resolution is to try not to roll my eyes when someone comments about someone else saying "LEGOs." I'm American; everyone I know uses the term "LEGOs." Besides, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on these little bits of plastic: I'll call 'em what I want! ...Crap, my resolution turned into a rant. Sorry, I'll quit now. 
    M1J0Emithridateethanjwall
  • stefxanstefxan AustriaMember Posts: 40
    I dont wanted to order anything from Lego until the 28th - where the next giveaway is added to your order. Until today I broke this just two times :-( ....
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 36
    1. Build it, dont stack it to be built
    2. No more full price sets at release (unless I will build and display/think it'll never be at discount)
    3. Ask, do I actually need it?
    4. Start a MOC
    5. Display what I have, better
    6. Stop checking Brickset every five minutes! :)
    PeteMTXLegoguymithridatesnowhitiedavetheoxygenmanmak0137
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 258
    edited January 11
    Wait to buy Lego until I have some space for it. Also, buy some more storage to find my bricks more easily.
    If I waited til I had space I'd never buy anything!
    redarmygmonkey76msandersspeppermithridatedavetheoxygenman
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,937
    colay said:
    1. Build it, dont stack it to be built
    2. No more full price sets at release (unless I will build and display/think it'll never be at discount)
    3. Ask, do I actually need it?
    4. Start a MOC
    5. Display what I have, better
    6. Stop checking Brickset every five minutes! :)

Number 3. is a question you don't really want to ask yourself... I did that out loud in the Lego Shop when the other half was nearby. She immediately said "No" and we moved on...

My own Lego-related commitment is to not ask questions like that out loud around the wife. Especially when/if I've got the funds for the Falcon to hand.

Seriously though, my resolution is to sort my Lego better so I can build it sooner! That I've lost some complete sets somewhere up there is a worrying sign!

snowhitiecolaySprinkleOtter
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 318
    Two:

1. Part out a load of sets I’ve had broken down and packed away for ages. I’ve marked the likely candidates up in my Brickset collection using a flag to produce a list for easy identification - once this is starting, I can start to...

2. Try my hand at moc’ing. It’s not something that comes naturally to me but I’m hoping it’s just lack of time, space and having a decent inventory of parts. Once point one is underway, the last should be sorted. It’s just getting the first two resolved that’s the issue - baby no. 2 will be arriving in the next couple of weeks which is why these resolutions are to be year-long projects :)
    snowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,399
    colay said:

4. Start a MOC

And for 2019: Finish it!
    FizyxmithridatecolaySprinkleOtter
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 949
    To allow my budget to recover from the UCS MF purchase last year.
    Fizyxgmonkey76M_Boss
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 230
    CCC said:
    colay said:

4. Start a MOC

And for 2119: Finish it!
    Fixed that for you. :P
    SprinkleOtterOrmskirkBricks
    rdflego said:
    I must figure out a better storage solution for my instruction manuals. Preferably a solution that will work for the next 5 years but I'll take what I can get.
    Found and implemented a solution with surprising ease. This has to be the quickest I've completed a new year's resolution ever.
    FizyxAstrobrickssnowhitie
    ^ and the rest of the year is all building! But may I ask, what solution did you finally use? Individual folders? Comic book sleeves? Cardboard backing? Suspension files? Drawers or boxes? And how are they arranged? By theme, surely, but then by set number, age, size of set, or something else? TIA!
    Astrobricks
    I think I've finally decided on mine, which is to clear out my backlog of wanted sets that are still active products (ie not retired yet) and haven't been announced in the last 3-4 months or so.  It will be expensive, but will also allow me to keep up with new releases better and not potentially have issues when surprise sets (like the big Hogwarts Castle, if it's real...) pop up.
  • LegoPondswaldLegoPondswald The NetherlandsMember Posts: 44
    My resolution is to expand my table for my LEGO City. Already ordered the parts, so should be getting started on that soon. Does mean that I have to clear the current table, since that one is going to be re-used for something else. Will be hard to tear the current city apart. 
    sid3windr
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 259
    MaffyD said:
    ^ and the rest of the year is all building! But may I ask, what solution did you finally use? Individual folders? Comic book sleeves? Cardboard backing? Suspension files? Drawers or boxes? And how are they arranged? By theme, surely, but then by set number, age, size of set, or something else? TIA!
    I keep mine in a metal file cabinet that I received for free (just had to go and get it from the person). They are in suspended folders and I keep them in order by set number. The only ones that have cardboard backing tend to be the more expensive sets that come with it in the packaging. There are five drawers, so I don't think I will ever run out of space since everything I currently have instructions for only fills two, with a small bin a third drawer that is holding smaller instructions. One drawer is completely empty, and the final drawer is filled with base plates. 
    MaffyD
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 230
    @Maffy, I keep my instructions in boardgame boxes/puzzle boxes by theme.
    So large SWs go in 2-3 boxes.
    Large city-> 1 box
    Small city -> 1 box
    Creator -> 1 box
    etc.
    They stack really well in the closet, and by putting a sticker on it and writing what they contain, you can easily find what you need. All of my instructions are mint or close to mint condition.
    Also puzzle boxes (like 1000 pieces puzzles) are perfect for the big type of instructions, and you can also put the medium and small instructions sideways so you can put more into a box.
    MaffyD
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Salem, MA, USAMember Posts: 342
    Mine was to finally add my sets to my Brickset account. Love the fact I can now see how many bricks I have in total (although I have a whole bunch of miscellaneous bricks lying about that aren’t accounted for) and how much I’ve spent - over $10,600, which isn’t bad considering I only came out of my Dark Age around three three or four years ago!
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 236
    edited January 14
    Like many I suspect, I am going to limit myself back to just a few themes! Star Wars, Marvel and some Creator/Expert stuff.    

Maybe some Ninjago.

and maybe Harry Potter stuff this year...
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 128
    My resolution is to build more.

I've spent the last couple of years establishing a proper Lego room, and it's meant I've not done much building...but now that it's all set up, I really need to make sure I get back into the hobby properly.

So, on that note, I'm off to build :)
    Mine was to finally add my sets to my Brickset account. Love the fact I can now see how many bricks I have in total (although I have a whole bunch of miscellaneous bricks lying about that aren’t accounted for) and how much I’ve spent - over $10,600, which isn’t bad considering I only came out of my Dark Age around three three or four years ago!

If you have your sets in Brickset, you might want to look at setting up a Rebrickable account too.  You can import your Brickset sets in, and it can give you a rough estimate of the current value of your collection based on the pieces you own, which is fun to look at.  Also, it's much more friendly for tracking individual loose pieces as well, and can tell you about what sets you can build with your current inventory (based on MOCs and such that have been uploaded to their database.)  I find it a really interesting collection analysis tool that goes great with Brickset.
    GeordiePaul
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Salem, MA, USAMember Posts: 342
    @Fizyx Thanks for the advice! Once I have everything in (I’m 99% of the way there I think) I’ll attempt to import it. I’d be lying if I said I’m not curious about the actual current worth of my collection as opposed to what I originally paid for it all.
    Fizyx
    @Fizyx Thanks for the advice! Once I have everything in (I’m 99% of the way there I think) I’ll attempt to import it. I’d be lying if I said I’m not curious about the actual current worth of my collection as opposed to what I originally paid for it all.

Their set database is not QUITE as comprehensive as Bricksets, especially if you have some of the smaller store exclusive sets (like the TRU in-store builds) or minifig packs.  Other than that they're pretty good though, and I think they're one of the best in terms of tracking loose parts too, which is super nice.  If you do a whole lot on their site you might have to go for one of the subscription options, but the only things that really opens up is having more lists for sets/parts.
    GeordiePaul
    MaffyD said:
    1000 apologies for the late reply because it definitely won't be worth it; I emptied out some old books from a drawer and piled the instruction manuals in there. My system is an unorthodox, unorganised mess with no logic as to what goes where. I've tried folders, sleeves, box files, boxes, you name it - I only really use the instructions once before they're stored away until the family wants to make something. They seem happy to dive in, so why change something that isn't broken I guess.
    MaffyD
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 14
    I have two:

1. Building more real vehicles in Lego SC scale, be it instructions, based on another build, or completely my own thing. Sometimes, it’s better to follow instructions and/or another build, especially when I don’t think I could do any better myself. 

2. Find a way to get the funds needed for the biggest Speed Champions set in the 2018 wave. 
    just saw some very grainy shots of the Ferrari Garage and it does look good. i'm sure the price will match the size of the set.
    CaptainLego
    blokey9 said:
    I have two:

just saw some very grainy shots of the Ferrari Garage and it does look good. i'm sure the price will match the size of the set.
    If I can’t get the funds for it, I may try to gather parts to at least build the 250 GTO.
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,166
    If I can’t get the funds for it, I may try to gather parts to at least build the 250 GTO.
    That's a good idea. That is all I really want from that set. Hopefully stickers don't matter much on that one.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,788
    Have to get the rest of house sorted out first, but once that's done, finally get the Lego room completed & build all the sets we haven't unboxed as yet (plus rebuild all my old sets).
    That's a good idea. That is all I really want from that set. Hopefully stickers don't matter much on that one.
    The shape is there. Plus, I rarely see stickers used on vehicle MOCs. 

I like the set, but it’s probably going to be like $120.
    edited January 20
    Thanks guys for replying about your instruction storage. It was very illuminating! I keep mine in a Really Useful Box which has suspension files in it, separated by theme and going from smallest instructions to largest. The ones at the back tend to have a cardboard backing in a bag that holds the book(s). I may invest in comic book bags for each set, but haven’t sorted that yet.
  • Darth_Jar_JarDarth_Jar_Jar NabooMember Posts: 13
    Buy all LEGO I come across