Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Valuation of set (1581-2), played with but box & instructions in mint

Mr_ZedMr_Zed Gothenburg, SwedenMember Posts: 3
I'm new around here. How much more is a set valued with box & instructions?

The set I'm thinking about selling is 1581-2 with stickers, instructions and box (opened). All in mint.

The price for a new one (last sold) is ca US$2295||€1912,  box or instructions currently for sale for ca $US270-300|| €228-250.

What do you guys think is a fair price?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,419
    It is worth what someone will pay for it, if you can find the right person. I'd ignore the sold price for the new set on BL. Yours is not new nor can it possibly be mint if it has been played with. It is probably between €200-400, if you can find someone that will pay that. That will be your problem.

The instructions are really simple and are available online, and it is not a very sought after model (like early modulars, UCS sets, etc) so they are not worth that much.
    Mr_Zeddrdavewatford
  • Mr_ZedMr_Zed Gothenburg, SwedenMember Posts: 3
    Ok, thanks for your input, appreciate it!
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,999
    As always, you can put it on Ebay and see what happens. 
    madforLEGOMr_Zed
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,820
    Basically it's a $10 set with $390 worth of stickers. It takes a special soul to buy that.
    madforLEGO
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 858
    edited January 10
    ^ absolutely this.

For various reasons this was a set I wanted so I bought a used version with original instructions for about €90, but without box.  That was as much as (well, slightly more than really) I was prepared to pay though just for some really old stickers.  

I'd already made my own version with new signage which probably cost me €10-15 (it wasn't expensive but a pain to track down the 1x5x4 doors from a single seller).  It's quite a cool little set.  I need to get my custom stickers properly done.
    prevereMr_Zed
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,268
    Fairly certain there is a guy in the UK with replicas of these, but it appears his site is currently down.

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,820
    Fairly certain there is a guy in the UK with replicas of these, but it appears his site is currently down.

I think I got some replica stickers for the McDonalds Restaurant from him.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,981
    edited January 11
    @Mr_Zed

That set that sold for over $2000  was likely a mint box with shrinkwrap.  Those 2 other sets available on Bricklink come without box OR instructions.  For classic collectors box and instructions are a must.  I bet if you sold it on Bricklink or put it up for auction... you should get at least $500... especially if the box/instructions are in super condiion, as well as the part, especially those with stickers.  That ARLA set is on 163 want lists on Bricklink.

If you sell it, make sure you list it as "only set available online with box and instructions" and they're in excellent condition....ditto for applied instructions parts if they are in super condition.

You would be surprised how classic LEGO buyers go after sets if they are the only ones available for sale as a complete set.

The ARLA, as well as early MAERSK and the UNICEF sets are among he more highly desired classic promotional LEGO sets.
    oldtodd33mak0137mithridateMr_ZedPitfall69
  • Mr_ZedMr_Zed Gothenburg, SwedenMember Posts: 3
    luckyruss said:
    ^ absolutely this.

For various reasons this was a set I wanted so I bought a used version with original instructions for about €90, but without box.  That was as much as (well, slightly more than really) I was prepared to pay though just for some really old stickers.  
    @luckyruss That's the one. The cow-logo disappeared later in the '90s, if I'm not mistaken it was in the merger with the danish company. I can see that you're missing the sticker in the front (where the antenna is pointing), should be the same size as the doors. I love the constitution of the backdoor though, in my opinion the best feature of the set.

@Istokg I appreciate all of the inputs and info. 

Arla wasn't even selling their dairy products in the whole country (Sweden) back in the early '90s, guess that contributes to making it so rare. 

One more Q: So buying/selling Lego, "mint" is an unopened set in basically factory condition? (Only collected vinyl before)

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,419
    Mr_Zed said:

One more Q: So buying/selling Lego, "mint" is an unopened set in basically factory condition? (Only collected vinyl before)

For a set, yes. For minifigs and parts, not assembled. If it has been built, it is used. It may be very good condition, but it is still used.

You probably also need to say whether the stickers have been applied or are still on the original sheet. This will make a big difference to the price, since that is really what people are paying for. Unused stickers will be worth far more than applied ones in this case.
    gmonkey76rd1899