Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego 60th anniversary shop display in Rushden Northants uk

This is Osbornes toys on the high street Rushden, Northants in the uk.
lego have chosen this store to receive a lego frontage for this weekend, 26,27,28 and 29th January. It’s been put together by a team from the Chezc Republic and was unveiled this morning by the owners and Legos uk M.D.
When lego first appeared at the uk toy fair sixty years ago the first uk store to sign up was Osborne’s and the son of the original owner runs it today. His mother still works there.
Will-the current owner has filled the windows with Lego sets from the shops own stock and it’s own archives. He has an extensive knowledge of all kinds of toys.
It’s well worth a look but the frontage will be taken down Mon night.
TheOriginalSimonBFowlerBricksPisceanPetLostInTranslationAddicted2OxygenBumblepantsstluxsnowhitieFizyxomniumbandit778Speedman29bookmumkendalbricksLegopantsBuriedinBricksalijoezaccatwranglerricecakeThe_RancorlegomentalMr_CrossmadforLEGOMynattLego_StarmessyLittleLoriFireheartvizzitorGoldchainskiki180703

Comments

• bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,028
    How fantastic. That is near where my in laws live but unfortunately I won't be able to see it. Too far for a quick visit!! 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 795
    Wonder why they only get it for a weekend.
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 251
    edited January 26
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 56
    I wish I lived just a bit closer - or at least wasn't just about to go on holiday this weekend because this would be great to see. I'm dying to find a proper bricks and mortar shop with old and retired sets for sale like I'd seen elsewhere.

love the yellow piggy in the window!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,997
    edited January 27
    Love the signs, and it's great that the toy store was the first one to sign up for LEGO at the 1958 Toy Fair at the now being shamefully demolished Earls Court Convention Center in London.  They must have had to have been patient toy store owners...  the first LEGO sales in the UK started 2 years later... 58 years ago (late January 1960).  ;-)

Here are a set of souvenir glasses for the 1985 Silver Anniversary of LEGO in the UK from late January 1960 start of LEGO sales... via British LEGO Ltd., a Courtauld's Co. subsidiary (until TLG bought the licence back in 1992 from the already being dismembered Courtauld's Co.).

snowhitie
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,365
    That is crazy.  I can't believe they clad the whole building in LEGO.  Top marks and thank you for sharing.
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles LondonMember Posts: 121
    edited January 27
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/115445504@N02/39215423884/in/album-72157665105696858/

Hmmmm...!

(I wonder how many people are visiting this weekend, given how the shop doesn't appear to be anywhere large or metropolitan?)
    edited January 27
    lol, yeah wasn't overly busy when I was there around 11am today, but they didn't have much SW stock, so maybe a lot of visitors prior to that point.

It was my son who spotted the cut plate!

Its basically a small, village toy shop, but with a good backstory!  Lego has just published a video also on their Facebook feed.

The Galaxy Squad sets have been there for a while! I did feel though I should support a small community toy shop like this so picked up a #70709 to pop in my archive!

omnium
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,329
    Its sad that many such shops like this have died away in the US due to big box stores. There are a few left, but they are few and far between though.
    Bumblepants
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 566
    Wow, I can't imagine why they would only leave this up for 4 days.  That's easily a $50k model shop project including brick and labor.  Its cool, but hugely expensive for only a few day's viewing.
    catwranglerAstrobricksomniumkiki180703
  • Lego__MinonLego__Minon EnglandMember Posts: 94
    DadsAFOL said:
    Wow, I can't imagine why they would only leave this up for 4 days.  That's easily a $50k model shop project including brick and labor.  Its cool, but hugely expensive for only a few day's viewing.
    Agreed, it seems so wasteful, why bother doing it just to take it down a few days later. Also it doesn't appear to have been hyped / announced in advance so it's only now it's up that people are talking about it / going to see it. 4 days isn't really long enough.
    Astrobricks
  • JezzatheshedJezzatheshed Member Posts: 149
    I had a chat with the owner (Will) today (despite the shop being packed out) and he told me that Legos designer visited at the back end of 2017 and said they would “do” the store in Lego. Will thought they were going to produce a model of the store for display. Around three weeks ago they contacted him with the full details and he was stunned. He had ordered his normal January delivery and had no time to sort out any anniversary sets.
    There are 277500 elements in the build and it took 41 builders 600 hours to assemble. The Czech construction team will be removing it on Monday night before jetting off to do another one in China. Apparently there is one also planned for the USA.
    stluxFizyxcatwrangleromniumbandit778kiki180703
  • Lego__MinonLego__Minon EnglandMember Posts: 94
    I had a chat with the owner (Will) today (despite the shop being packed out) and he told me that Legos designer visited at the back end of 2017 and said they would “do” the store in Lego. Will thought they were going to produce a model of the store for display. Around three weeks ago they contacted him with the full details and he was stunned. He had ordered his normal January delivery and had no time to sort out any anniversary sets.
    There are 277500 elements in the build and it took 41 builders 600 hours to assemble. The Czech construction team will be removing it on Monday night before jetting off to do another one in China. Apparently there is one also planned for the USA.
    It's great to learn more about it, I like the story of them being supporters from the very beginning. I wonder why they're going to other places, as I assume there isn't the same history that makes Osbornes so special?

I still think it's a shame it's only around for 4 days, especially since it took so long to create. Also a model of the shop would have been awesome, as they could have used it for many more years to come. :)
  • stetstet Member Posts: 42
    These pictures and the story behind them should be in the main site :)
    Fizyxcatwranglerkiki180703
    It's great to learn more about it, I like the story of them being supporters from the very beginning. I wonder why they're going to other places, as I assume there isn't the same history that makes Osbornes so special?

I still think it's a shame it's only around for 4 days, especially since it took so long to create. Also a model of the shop would have been awesome, as they could have used it for many more years to come. :)
    My thoughts entirely. I’ve said to Will he ought to try and save the yellow door in particular, it’s a work of art in itself, I can think of a number of shows it could attend.
    Astrobricks
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,158
    Really fun and impressive.

@Huw and  @CapnRex101 did you see these? Might be cool to add to you 60 year anniversay articles.
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 105
    It's been on BBC news several times today so might be worth checking the news later. If not, it might be on catch up.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,426
    That big 60 years sign must be awkward to move once they take it down, I will volunteer to keep it for them.

Probably end up as part of the brickset 60th prize cache though, lol.
    OrmskirkBrickskiki180703
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 764
    Thanks for sharing the photos @OrmskirkBricks Would have loved to have gone and seen it in the plastic

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,997
    @Jezzatheshed Could you ask the owner if I could use the store front image in my 9th and final LEGO Encyclopedia guide "LEGO Retailer Items and Displays".  I am collecting the last of the documentation and images for that volume (5 of 9 volumes are finished with 3 more in the works right now).... this would also be in my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors online guide (future updates, which are free to current owners).

Before TLG expanded LEGO sales outside of Europe in 1961, there were over 11,000 mostly independent toy stores in Europe that sold LEGO.  Back then (just like now with this special build for the UKs first toy store)... TLG provided many window display items, sales racks, signage and lighted devices for these small (as well as department store LEGO retailers).

So my final volume will be a 350 page view at what LEGO retailers had supplied to them from TLG.

Here's a brief view of what that volume will show... a compilation of images and stories that might otherwise be lost to LEGO collectors today...

TLG help to retailers....

Images for my future updates to my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Guide....

FizyxsnowhitiestluxBombTeccatwranglermessyMynattkiki180703
    If you need any of the original photos (not the lower res I uploaded to Flickr) send me a pm...
    snowhitie
  • PisceanPetPisceanPet UKMember Posts: 5
    As the sun was out yesterday we decided to go down for a look, and it was very impressive! Quite a lot of people passing by to have a look, people taking photos as they drove by and they were doing good business.  It was a bit of a shame that they hadn't been forewarned enough to stock up on Lego sets though with that many people there, I bought a small set for my nephew but would have bought more if something I wanted was there.  I overheard the lady at the till telling someone they could order sets and maybe they would need to get an order in before their usual one in June!!  Some nice old system and 9v sets in the windows that the shop has saved over the years so there was quite a lot to look at.
    Not sure it would survive more than 4 days as it was temporarily stuck to the windows using double sided tape by the looks of it, and parts of it were starting to come away.  There was also some minor damage at the bottom edge where it had got kicked.  I did wonder how it survived the nights, but just before they closed at 4 a couple of security guards appeared, sitting in a van parked opposite.
    stluxcatwranglerFizyxOrmskirkBricksAstrobrickskiki180703
  • lee1980lee1980 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 24
    Amazing, would luved to of seen for real thanks for the pics!
    Well the whole frontage has now been removed. Good news is the yellow 60th anniversary door has joined the shops archive (apparently it takes two strong bodies to lift it) and may reappear in the future.
    As I’ve already mentioned the store was caught out by the whole thing and nearly all the lego stock for six months trading was sold.
    William and his mum are still on a high from the whole thing and have expressed thanks for all the visitors and there good wishes this weekend.
     When Jim Osborne passed away last year the town lost one of its great characters who was known as Mr Toyshop. Hundreds turned out to see his funeral procession pass through the town and past the shop so the weekends events were very very special.
    catwranglerSpeedman29stluxomniumkiki180703bookmum
    I am so pleased they had a successful weekend!
    Istokg said:
    @Jezzatheshed Could you ask the owner if I could use the store front image in my 9th and final LEGO Encyclopedia guide "LEGO Retailer Items and Displays".  I am collecting the last of the documentation and images for that volume (5 of 9 volumes are finished with 3 more in the works right now).... this would also be in my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors online guide (future updates, which are free to current owners).

Before TLG expanded LEGO sales outside of Europe in 1961, there were over 11,000 mostly independent toy stores in Europe that sold LEGO.  Back then (just like now with this special build for the UKs first toy store)... TLG provided many window display items, sales racks, signage and lighted devices for these small (as well as department store LEGO retailers).

So my final volume will be a 350 page view at what LEGO retailers had supplied to them from TLG.

Here's a brief view of what that volume will show... a compilation of images and stories that might otherwise be lost to LEGO collectors today...

TLG help to retailers....

Images for my future updates to my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Guide....

Spoken to Will today and he says that he’s happy for you to use the images.

stluxFizyxkiki180703catwrangler