Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego Ideas How To?!

smileyvalsmileyval United StatesMember Posts: 15
Hey Fellow Lego Friends!
I was wondering if any of you have made anything on the Lego Ideas website. I'm pretty obsessed with looking at everyones AWESOME ideas and supporting them. The only thing I notice is that there are so many amazing ideas, but not too many supporters. Is it because not many people go on Lego Ideas or people don't feel like signing up an account to support?
I made 1 Lego Baby Hospital with my kids and you can check it out too. https://ideas.lego.com/projects/e3b2331c-a53f-4c20-8183-c30deef42b4a

If you guys know how to get Lego Ideas more popular or well known, I'd love ideas. I think we need to support creators as much as we can. It's so wonderful that Lego has made this website!!!!! 

Comments

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,649
    We have a pinned thread at the top of this forum where you can share your Lego IDEAS submissions: http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/14849/lego-ideas-share-your-submissions-here#latest
  • smileyvalsmileyval United StatesMember Posts: 15
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,952
    smileyval said:
    The only thing I notice is that there are so many amazing ideas, but not too many supporters. Is it because not many people go on Lego Ideas or people don't feel like signing up an account to support?
    No, it's because most of the ideas on there are either rubbish or wouldn't sell well if made into a set, so people don't support them.

Yes I'm a cynic. But I'm usually right. ;)
    M_BossFizyxgmonkey76stluxBumblepantsakunthitasnowhitie
  • smileyvalsmileyval United StatesMember Posts: 15
    I guess you're right. But I see some cool stuff with little support. For instance, there's a Muppet Show Lego. I don't know the person who made it, but I'd buy it.....and it has little support. 
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 986
    smileyval said:
    I guess you're right. But I see some cool stuff with little support. For instance, there's a Muppet Show Lego. I don't know the person who made it, but I'd buy it.....and it has little support. 

The Muppet Show one is actually pretty cool looking, (if you are think of this one, as there are a number of them): https://ideas.lego.com/projects/197ae907-e4ee-4243-94b7-0b30000e078f But would I buy it as a LEGO set? The answer is no. I just find it too boring.

Anyone can take a TV show, and make it into a LEGO set and then put it up on LEGO Ideas by placing a bunch of accessories and minifigs on a plate. I think it's fairly clear from the constant sales that the Big Bang Theory set didn't do that well. My guess is that LEGO is going to be hesitant to make a similar TV show based set in the future.

I rather see sets that are unique, beautiful, creative, and challenging, like the Old Fishing Store, or the Maze, or the Exo-Suit. Or, if it is licensed, something like the NASA sets that actually provide an interesting building experience and looks great on display. I do support projects on LEGO Ideas, but that's because I want to buy them, not just because they look cool on the picture.

LEGO Ideas does get a lot of traffic and support, and LEGO fans regularly talk about projects on blogs, forums and social-media sites. But the whole point of voting on the site is to vote for something that we would want to put down our hard earned cash for. LEGO Ideas is not a picture-sharing site or social-media, where we "like" the image because we think it's cute, or to make the creator feel good. If a project doesn't get much votes is not because LEGO Ideas is not known. It is because people wouldn't buy the project as a LEGO set. LEGO Ideas is a business decision for both the LEGO company and LEGO fans, and the votes speak for themselves...

Fizyxcatwranglersnowhitiedrdavewatford
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 338
    akunthita said:
    smileyval said:

The Muppet Show one is actually pretty cool looking, (if you are think of this one, as there are a number of them): https://ideas.lego.com/projects/197ae907-e4ee-4243-94b7-0b30000e078f But would I buy it as a LEGO set? The answer is no. I just find it too boring.

Anyone can take a TV show, and make it into a LEGO set and then put it up on LEGO Ideas by placing a bunch of accessories and minifigs on a plate. I think it's fairly clear from the constant sales that the Big Bang Theory set didn't do that well. My guess is that LEGO is going to be hesitant to make a similar TV show based set in the future.

I rather see sets that are unique, beautiful, creative, and challenging, like the Old Fishing Store, or the Maze, or the Exo-Suit. Or, if it is licensed, something like the NASA sets that actually provide an interesting building experience and looks great on display. I do support projects on LEGO Ideas, but that's because I want to buy them, not just because they look cool on the picture.

LEGO Ideas does get a lot of traffic and support, and LEGO fans regularly talk about projects on blogs, forums and social-media sites. But the whole point of voting on the site is to vote for something that we would want to put down our hard earned cash for. LEGO Ideas is not a picture-sharing site or social-media, where we "like" the image because we think it's cute, or to make the creator feel good. If a project doesn't get much votes is not because LEGO Ideas is not known. It is because people wouldn't buy the project as a LEGO set. LEGO Ideas is a business decision for both the LEGO company and LEGO fans, and the votes speak for themselves...

Absolutely this.  There are many many cool builds that I have seen on Ideas that I didn't vote on... because I wouldn't have ever bought them.  There are also many sets that I have voted on because I would love to buy them... but I also understand that they would have had highly niche appeal, and not many people would have bought them.

I think good, saleable Ideas sets do often get left behind... but I think it also happens far LESS often than gets complained about.  People just forget that being a cool set isn't enough... it also has to be a set that people will buy.  (The reverse is also somewhat true, but less of an issue I think.  If people would buy it, but it's not 'cool', it may have difficulty finding support... but at the same time, being willing to buy it does automatically give it some 'cool' factor of SOME sort, so sets on the platform don't usually run into this issue, of course.)
    catwrangler
  • GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 50
    I don't understand why the guidelines don't allow religious buildings. I understand LEGO isn't tied to any religion but many religious buildings are some of the best examples of good architecture.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,575
    Gman said:
    I don't understand why the guidelines don't allow religious buildings. I understand LEGO isn't tied to any religion but many religious buildings are some of the best examples of good architecture.
    Because it can be offensive to some to have their religion trivialised by turning it into a toy.
    HugeYellowBrick
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,649
    ^ And I'd imagine they don't want to be perceived as supporting one religion over others - to avoid that perception, you either do buildings for all the religions, or none of them. Unfortunate, but I can see why it's one of those subjects best reserved for MOCs...
  • GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 50
    edited February 1
    I never see churches, synagogues, mosques, etc. And yet I’ve seen a few buildings on ideas that look like Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples. (But aren’t specifically described as such)

Now on ideas I have seen Mayan and Aztec pyramids. Even if LEGO made those it’d be obviously for historical reasons and obvious that they don’t prefer those religions. (Remember what those pyramids were used for. Yikes!)