Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How I think LEGO should improve the minidoll

GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 50
edited January 31 in Everything else LEGO
They should have made the legs individual legs like regular minifigs and they should have made the hands moveable.
Maybe since I’m a guy I just don’t understand. Haha.

Comments

• bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,028
    Yes the hands!! One has a guitar but the poor girl can't play it!! 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,575
    To do the hands will mean thickening the arms making them unrealistic in body shape. Similarly separate legs will require bulkier hips to ensure they don't break.
    stluxPaperballparkLyichirgmonkey76
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,286
    edited January 31
    TLG did extensive market research among their target market when designing the minidoll and the design they ended up with was the product of that. It's not ideal, in many respects, but it doesn't seem to stop the sets selling well. 
    stluxPaperballparkLyichirmak0137
    That's a really nice photo. All of the different styles have their merits. The strangest looking one is the very tall minifigure. That might be a more realistically scaled figure but just looks so odd compared to the normal minifigs. I think it is the lack of knees in a figure with such long legs.
    stluxFizyxcatwrangler
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 653
    The lastest Hispabricks (#29) has an interview with a couple of Friends designers & they talk about things such as individual legs & rotatable wrists & why they didn't work
    stluxLyichirricecakecatwrangler
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 272
    As much as I didn't really dig minidolls back in 2012, they've definitely grown on me over time and I really appreciate the design team making them the same size/scale as minifigures - half because it means I can reuse the vehicles/models for minifigs, and half because I can have both minidolls and minifigs in my city layout without them looking vastly out-of-scale like some of those early designs (especially the tall and skinny one, yeesh).

If there's any complaint about minidolls I've got, it's that the faces are very... same-y? Like they've started doing some other expressions with Elves and DCSHG, but the sheer majority are just the same ol' smile and it'd be nice for a tad more variation innit. It's no deal-breaker for me, but it'd be nice, y'know?
    Toc13LyichirFizyxcatwrangler
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 986
    stlux said:
    In The LEGO House there's a display of minidoll prototypes:

I'm very glad that the minidoll we know today is the one we ended up with...

My nieces never seem to complain about the articulation limitations. And frankly when I see kids play with minifigs, the articulation possibilities don't seem to be used much. It's mostly put in or on vehicle/stand somewhere/whoosh around.

There's always trade-offs, including those highlighted by @CCC. I'd say TLG's market research was spot on, and the target audience has embraced minidolls.

What an interesting photo! And I agree that LEGO made the right decision. I would add to this that I collect Mega Construx American Girl dolls. They have articulated ankles, knees, hips, waist, shoulders, arms, and wrists. The dolls are high quality and the joints work very well (not too tight or too loose), but let me tell you; it takes forever to pose them.

As you pointed out, kids don't want to fiddle around with posing. They just want to play. The shorter Wellie Wishers figures (also in the Mega Construx American Girl line), still have separately movable legs, ankles and arm, but the hands are a solid piece. They are much easier to handle, but are still more finicky than LEGO's mini-dolls. 

Here is a comparison picture, of some of my mini-dolls from both LEGO and Mega (the girl in the yellow dress is a Wellie Wisher and the two tall girls at the back are standard American Girls. I also wrote a comparison review on the figures where I go into more detail: http://thebrickblogger.com/2017/04/lego-mega-bloks-mini-dolls-comparison/

stluxCCCbandit778Fizyxricecakecatwrangler
  • GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 50
    edited January 31
    The only thing that is appealing about the mini dolls to me is the fact that the hair works on regular minifigs (I think). I might be wrong cause I don’t have any minidolls. But I heard the hair works.

And if they could move more like regular minifigs they’d make for a good minifig alternative. I don’t mind how they look. They are a bit more human looking than regular minifigs. The only thing I dislike about them is the less articulation.
    edited February 1
    In my opinion If LEGO were to bring back Exo Force they should make new figures similar to the minidoll head wise but with more articulation and slightly bulkier, cooler looking bodies. Because the minidoll heads kinda look more “anime” than regular minifigs.
    catwranglerAanchir
    edited February 1
    Just one slightly off topic question. Can regular minifigs slide down the LEGO friends slides? Or are they too square? Cause if they can then that’d be awesome.
    Yes, they can. It helps to have their arms slightly raised.
    edited February 1
    Cause I was thinking of buying some friends sets for their interesting and unique pieces such as slides. And that once rare acoustic  guitar piece from the collectible mariachi guy is now in a friends set I believe. (As well as in the assembly square modular)
    Also the milk and orange juice cartons look like great props.

(I put an extra space on the guitar part because for some reason it put some link on my text I don’t know why)
    You can buy the slides reasonably cheap on BL if you are just after those.
    Fizyx