Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Using City sets with vintage Town.

I'm nearing the end of the list of vintage Town sets for my LEGO display. I was wondering if anyone uses modern City sets with vintage town in their displays and what ones look good or to scale? Thank you!  

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,341
    I think "vintage" town displays look great; they bring back so many memories. Some of the recent Creater Buildings and Houses would look great in a Classic Town set up. 
    madforLEGOgmonkey76
  • FrequencyFrequency Member Posts: 53
    I should of mentioned I have all the Modular Buildings. They are going to make up my downtown. 
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 774
    Aside from the fire and police stations growing in height (due to the increasing crime sprees in Lego City), all the old stuff still scales nicely.  Here's an old Shell garage nicely nestled in amongst some newer sets...

BumblepantssnowhitiedatsunrobbiestluxricecakemadforLEGOFowlerBricksjason1976catwrangler
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,158
    Nice one @mr_benn also like that old station in the right hand corner. Is a great one going over the tracks.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 582
    The only real issue for me is the old 4-wide vehicles mixing in with the newer 6-wide vehicles.  As long as you're not bothered by the scale differences, then go for it!
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 138
    Some of the 4-wides fit in pretty well. I have two of the old #1896 Trauma Team sets and they actually work pretty well, and that's just one example. Others, however, like #6506, look absolutely ridiculous. That's one of several sets that are getting broken down and bagged for storage as it simply won't work for my city. As for the old Town buildings, it really just depends on what you put them next to. And @mr_benn those 3-in-1 Creator houses from a couple years back are just so, so superior to the new Modular styles.  I have a the first three modular 3-in-1 houses from when the line started a year or so ago and don't find most of them all that usable. The design itself just isn't hardy and they're not as substantial.  The line peaked with #31012 Family House. Hopefully I can get some pics of my layout here soon, once the monorail is done. 
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 154

Love the old Shell station!  I have no issues mixing new city with vintage town at all obviously. The only real issue of scale, as has been pointed out, is vehicles, but i tend to get around that by building only the newer ones & leaving most of the older ones bagged. But still there are 4 wide vehicles in modern city, which arguably scale better with buildings. The other difference with vehicles is the old narrower road baseplates but I just use those for the narrower residential streets, just as in real life. 
    mr_bennjason1976stluxcatwrangler

My layout with some of the older town sets. Coming along. The newer modular 3-in-1s in the middle won't be there permanently as that space is for modulars  
    jason1976Fizyxstluxcatwrangler
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 774
    Love the easy brick-built road system here.  Will it live on the floor or will you be raising it up?
    It'll be on a table. All the Xerox paper boxes that hold broken down sets will live underneath the table so that entire back wall and around the corner will be cleared up.
    Fizyx