Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Brickset Bonusball Bonanza - Snowhitie editon - UK draw 10/02/2108

snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,158

So it is Valentine’s Day on Wednesday.  Are you a lover or a hater? I used to think Valentine’s Day was a lot of commercial hooey. 

However, when my husband and I were courting and I was living with him, I said is that I didn’t do Valentine’s Day.  He ignored me and came home from work with a bottle of port, a card, some chocolates and some flowers.  Apparently, he said he never believed the woman who said that she didn’t care for Valentine’s Day.  In all honesty, I was very pleased with the surprise. He went off to Dutch class while stayed home to cook dinner.

While cooking, I heard a mighty crash and went to look through the spyhole where a couple of minutes later  I saw some hooded figures running down the stairs. After a while I went to look upstairs and saw that they had broken down the door of the flat above us. Who burgles a flat at 6.00 PM.?  

We have had a drug dealer living up there, which gave us a lot of grief.  Even though the rest of the building was all lovely people, this one bloke really ruined it.  In the middle of the night people can banging on the door’s trying to get their drugs off him. In the weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day it had been strangely quiet.  

I called the police to report the break-in and they came down. They informed me that the guy was actually in prison, so it was probably somebody is looking for his ‘stash’. Whilst I was still talking to the police my husband came home, and obviously dinner hadn’t been prepared.  I was also a bit shaken, so he took me out. It being Valentine’s day we were a bit worried about not finding a place.  But our favourite curry house still had a table free. 

They had a  set menu, there was balloons and flowers and hearts everywhere.  The total picture,  I always said I didn’t like.  But there sitting in the restaurant, I had one of the most fun evenings, feeling safe and loved by fiancée.  There you go, I admit I now love Valentine’s Day and an even though it still pretty cheesy, I think it’s fun to show your loved one you care.  This year will be in the UK and we will actually be going out with the two of us for a curry. For the first time in eons.

I can see you all rolling your eyes at me, so I’ll finish my cheesy story. Now I would like to know yours.   Not necessarily a cheesy or romantic one, but the about something you thought was bad or stuped, and then someone made you change your mind.  For example: you resisted reading Harry Potter because there was a lot of hype but then when you picked up the book you actually enjoy did a lot?  Give me your stories,  your wonderful anecdote in a chance to win this week’s bonus ball.

For those who don’t know the rules, write your answer below and the first 59 entrants will get a number. This is open worldwide.  And the bonus ball from the UK lottery on Saturday night will decide the winner, who will win a Marge minifigure carrying some flowers (#71009-2). Not only that I will also send an extra surprise prize to the story that I liked best.

Good luck all!
stluxMr_CrossMaffyDvizzitorBumblepantsricecakeSeijiAmasawaMAGNINOMINISUMBRAbandit778GothamConstructionCodonutboyLego_StarSumoLegoGoldchainskiki180703Renegade007cjhJern92Lobotcatwrangler

Comments

• TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,001
    I have to say cooking. For me it's women's work! But can actually be quiet fun at times.
    snowhitie
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,233
    With four kids our big plans are basically eating chocolate and/or ice cream from the hidden stashes once they are all in bed. Wild stuff to be sure.
    vizzitormak0137snowhitie
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 774
    I used to think that iphones were just smug and style over substance (I had some basic Sony Eriksson job at the time that could call and send texts and that was it).  It was only once I managed to acquire one from a company I worked for that I was a total convert.

Mind you, the new ones are still smug...
    vizzitorMr_CrossMAGNINOMINISUMBRAsnowhitiesid3windr
  • daniellelego82daniellelego82 Manchester, UKMember Posts: 27
    Its gardening for me, until i bought my first house with a garden i was never really that bothered about plants and flowers. But since moving i love to find new plants and watch them grow, i have even invested in a green house and grow some of my own plants from seed now. Just need to get my head around taking cuttings now.
    vizzitorsnowhitie
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 628
    edited February 9
    Years ago I looked at megablok and LEGO as the same thing. I mixed parts and didn't care about brand so long as I had new parts to build with. Then one day I realized just how bad those bloks bricks were, I spent weeks sortin and separating pieces. Oh what a fool I had been but I'm now 14 years clean!
    vizzitorMr_Crosssnowhitie
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 186
    Thanks for organising this @snowhitie

I've nothing Valentine's Day related but back 6 years ago, I thought those people that say exercise is addictive and it doesn't take much to change your habits and stuff like that were deluded and a bit stupid. I'd laugh and go get another Twix bar to eat in front of the laptop or TV.

Today, I feel really anxious and weird if I haven't run/walked at least 4.5 kilometres that day. Then I have to make up for it a few days later by running twice as far. It's the first thing I do when I finish work on a weekday and the second thing (after weights/pushups/sit-ups) I do when I get up at the weekend at shockingly early o'clock.

Changed my tune quite a bit after losing 5st/70lbs/32kg and not touching chocolate for over 5 years. It certainly makes up for the hours of sitting around at work and messing about with Lego, for me anyway.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRARedbullgivesuwindSirBenecmo47snowhitieRenegade007cjh
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 134
    Lego elves. Always ignored them because I despise minidolls but I ended with 2 sets in a bulk lot that ended up being complete when I tried putting them together, and I have to say, they're quite impressive. Still don't buy them, but I'll admit I always check the elves selection during clearance season now. 
    vizzitorsnowhitie
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross UKMember Posts: 302
    Disney movies, predominantly Frozen. My little girl, now four, cute as a button, saw a trailer on another Disney "classic" and asked for the film.
    Grimacing, but wanting to do something nice for her, I ordered it online from the absolutely cheapest retailer I could find.
    Frozen has been watched in my house many, many times now and simply put, the joy it puts on my little girl's face is wonderful to behold.
    Some of it still irks me, but the famous bit where Elsa builds the ice castle is brilliant, "Let it go, Let it go!"

Thanks for hosting!
    vizzitormak0137MaffyDsnowhitiesid3windr
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 395
    For me it's been cleaning. Why bother if it'll just be dirty again in a week? But after seeing what a little dust does to the look of a nice Lego set, I've (mostly) changed my mind.
    vizzitorsnowhitie
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 809
    Eating vegetables. When I was younger, I never thought I would see myself voluntarily ordering and eating a salad at a restaurant.
    SeijiAmasawavizzitorsnowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,575
    LOST. I always thought it was going to be crap, but then I saw series 1 on DVD for £1 in CeX. Two months later I had binge watched Series 1-6.

snowhitie
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 145
    I have it with songs on albums (yeah I still buy CD’s and listen to them!). Most of all I had it with my favorite album ever... Achtung Baby by U2. I used to hate the last song on that album: “Love is Blindness”. But once I heard them sing it live, it suddenly clicked. And now I just love that whole album, beginning to end, so much.
    snowhitie
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 133
    I was meh when Daniel Craig was announced as James Bond. But I’ve actually enjoyed his movies.
    vizzitorsnowhitieRenegade007cjhsid3windr
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 255
    Cigarettes. Both my wife and I have a LOVE and HATE relationship with them. We LOVE smoking but HATE what they do to you. So we are perpetually on and off smokers. We quit for 6 years, then started up again recently. We are going to smoke for a dew months, then quit again for a year or so. Then probably start up again. I know it sounds crazy, but it's the only way that we can see to be able to enjoy our favorite "vice" without them causing TOO much damage to our bodies. Lungs need time to heal, and they do, rather quickly tbh. So that's why we quit for extended periods of time. But living completely cigarette free is not something we really want to do, because we really do LOVE our cigarettes. Some people it's drinking, or food, or whatever. For us it's cigarettes. 

As a Lego fan though, we ARE VERY careful to keep the smoke away from our collection though. 
    vizzitorricecakesnowhitie
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 738
    Brilliant question this week. Thanks @snowhitie.
      Unfortunately, though I did enjoy reading HP as it allowed for some great
    imteractions with the kids, the only thing it convinced me of is that Rowling should go to word jail.  The fact that she registers herself in the UK and pays tax (quite massive tax) accordingly makes me really like her though...
    Anyway, I digress.
     There are so many answers to this one! Some funny, some tragic, some life changing. 
    A big one for me has been meditation and mindfulness.  I won't bother with the gory details of how I arrived there but the day I realised the eightfold path isn't just something for Buddhist monks, and hippies who'd just got back from backpacking through India, my life, and outlook towards it began to pull me away from a dangerous edge.

I really loved @vizzitor story also. As someone who also, as part of losing over 30kg found running and exercise ridiculous until they found where 'the zone' was (around 6-7k's for me), it resonates very strongly. Except for the part about the chocolate...
    vizzitorsnowhitieSeijiAmasawa
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,602
    In my younger years, many moons ago I was adamant that marriage was just a piece of paper and it made not a jot of difference to the people involved.

Then I met the lovely lady that was to become Mrs Bandit778. 

I'm now 10 years happily married and wouldn't change it for anything.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMaffyDricecakeToc13stluxsnowhitieMr_Crosssid3windr
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 248
    I'm sure there is probably something, but I don't know what it is.
    snowhitie
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,614
    I am always right so have no need for anyone to change my mind.
    snowhitie
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,597
    The price of 10179. I was just coming out of my dark age having recently bought a Darth Vader's Tie. I scoffed at the £350 price even though I loved the look of it. Fast forward 7 years and I pay out £650 for the successor.
    vizzitorsnowhitieRenegade007cjhsid3windr
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 97
    Collecting poly bags. Always thought they were overpriced and inferior to small boxed sets. But after coming across a few great ones price and build wise, have changed my mind. Although there are still some which seem ridiculous but majority is decent.
    vizzitorsnowhitie
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 372
    Thanks for doing the draw this week @snowhitie.  I don’t have a story to share, at least not one that has a positive outcome, or that I’m still not in the middle of.

Love the idea, and I’ll probably remember one just after the edit time window expires.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAsnowhitieRenegade007cjh
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 329
    The movie Mean Girls.  I thought it was supposed to be some dumb teeny bopper movie.  But, I was bored one day and saw a DVD of it laying around so I played it.  Wow, ended up being one of my all time favorite comedies.
    snowhitie
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,990
    edited February 9

I'm not sure how I can follow a story like that one @snowhitie ! Anyway, I shall try. This might take a while, so I'll probably miss out on the 59, but that's not the point! The theme I will use is once again love (in keeping with the season), but hopefully the viewpoint will be an interesting change!

I met my ABS-accepting other half ages and ages ago - my brother knew her from an acting workshop they both went to (I was not involved, as any who have had seen my attempts at performance will appreciate). So I knew she loved the theatre - she went on to study theatre and English at university.

Fast forward a number of years to when we were married, and she suggested that we go see a production of Madama Butterfly together. Now, I knew what opera was like, vaguely, so I was rather unimpressed with that idea (what with the total lack of car chases, robots, explosions, warp drive, laser swords or gun fights filmed in 360 and played back in slow motion). But, as I had subjected her to a number of films that weren't possibly her cup of tea (see previous list of things that are not contained within opera), I agreed to reciprocate, and off we went one weekend (to The Lowry in Manchester).

Well, I can't believe my reaction. The music and direction, the acting, the story, everything was absolutely stunning - heart-rendingly sad, and beautiful. It took hold of me in a way I don't think anything had done before. I was emotional and crying, amazed by just how fantastic it was. I was blown away.

Cathy didn't know what to say to me - she was as dumbstruck as I was by how emotional I was. It was very, very affecting.

Anyway, I'll stop there. I now love opera. I have since seen a number of plays, and also listened to the various recordings, and even ventured into musicals based on Opera, and even films (Rent, for instance). It all comes full circle. And I have my wife to thank for that. And she doesn't even know I've written this.

Anyway, for the record I still think Valentine's day is nowadays a commercial thing, but if you do it in your own way, there's much to love about it.

Thanks for organising @snowhitie !

vizzitorSirBenricecakebandit778stluxsnowhitiesid3windr
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 633
    Thank you for hosting @snowhitie!

Having grown up with two older sisters, I developed somewhat of a tolerance for "girl-movies" or shows. My reality was that, no matter what I did or said, my older sisters would prevail and the family would end up watching a chick-flick or some sappy romantic show. I would inevitably end up leaving the room to go do something more fun. 

Fast forward to when I met my wife. She too comes from a house with a few females and has a deeply rooted love of all things chick-flick-esque. Her ideal movie night or night in watching TV or Netflix is all about that genre. 

Being a good boyfriend, then fiance, and finally husband, I of course would sit down to watch the movie or show with her. In my opinion, a great relationship is one of mutual sacrifice and interest in what motivates and excites the other party. Secretly, however, I always wished to be doing something different. 

Over the years though, I have found myself growing more and more fond of these types of movies and shows. I knew I had crossed over when I got a little upset one night that she had watched an episode of The Bachelor without me. How was I supposed to know what had happened if I had missed an episode!?!?!! That was the moment I fully committed. 

I know appreciate those moments more than ever before in my relationship and friendship with my wife. On the flip side, she's met me in the middle (not fully committed quite yet!) on some of my favorite genres. Friendship and relationship are beautiful things!

ricecakebandit778TyresOFlahertyFowlerBrickssnowhitiesid3windr
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 511
    Dairy-free: I was a cheese addict, but having given up dairy I feel much healthier.
    snowhitie
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,523
    Valentine's Day is also my birthday, so I get double the love every year. :D
    snowhitie
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 267
    Game of thrones - resisted the hype then watched and hooked! 
    vizzitorsnowhitieMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 953
    I hated action figures for the longest time due to having really crappy ones with loose joints. I swore up and down that I would never ever buy another action figure. Recently though, a friend convinced me to give them another chance so I went ahead and bought the Marvel Legends Miles Morales and was thoroughly impressed. Now all my Lego budget is temporarily being channeled toward a $384 diecast metal Iron Man mark 45 action figure. I think my wallet would have preferred me to continue hating them. 
    snowhitie
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 310
    Along the lines of @Switchfoot55 's comment, here goes:

Downton Abbey on paper sounds like something I would definitely never watch. A period drama show about the difference between classes in 1900's England? Whatever.

My wife really wanted to watch it, so I figured it could be on of "her" shows that I put up with. However, after a couple episodes, we were totally into it. We would stay up in bed at night talking about Mr. Bates, Anna, and that THOMAS. 

Knowing we'd have to wait months for PBS to get it over here in the states, I'd find (cough) alternate ways to watch it days after it was aired in the UK.

We now have been totally taken by The Crown as well. These shows must just resonate with my English blood.
    Switchfoot55snowhitie
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,426
    Automatic gearboxes, told how much better manuals are.

Lack of an aching leg after sitting in queues said otherwise.
    snowhitie
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 764
    Steam Railways and just railways in general. My dad was a train spotter as a kid and loved the days of steam. Fast forward to growing up and every family holiday would have to contain a visit to a steam railway or a walk along a long abandoned track bed looking for signs of the old track or railway furniture. I was always bored stiff.....

....then something clicked and I started enjoying the trips and the walks and the discovery of a glimpse of the past. Now my daughter has got a love of trains (hence #60052 for Christmas) and we try and find a steam railway to ride on or some old railway buildings to explore. 
    snowhitieMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 445
    @snowhitie, your story is great! I also had a drug dealer living in my building when I was younger, I remember one day coming home to a bunch of police outside my building. They intercepted me on my way in and asked me a bunch of questions about my next door neighbor. Then they asked me if I wouldn't mind knocking on his door to see if he was home. I told them I would absolutely NOT knock on his door, I had never had a reason to interact with him in the past so I didn't want him or his crew thinking that I had anything to do with him being arrested that day. I went back to my car and left, they busted into his apartment and arrested him, and no one came looking for me later on, which is awesome. I never saw that guy again.

As far as things that I avoided, I actually have a pretty extensive list because I'm that guy that refuses to do things other people are doing. Drives my wife nuts. Kids liked Nintendo when I was growing up? I was a Sega Kid. People bought Star Wars action figures?  Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons action figures for me. Everyone likes modulars? I like Nexo Knights. I've always been that way.

The biggest example of this is probably Breaking Bad. I avoided it because everyone else around me couldn't stop talking about it. I finally broke down and watched the first episode quite a while after it was over and I was hooked. It is now in my top 5 shows of all time.

Thanks for hosting!
    vizzitorFowlerBrickssnowhitie
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 248
    I hated the thought of driving. Didn`t want to go to driver`s school. Loathed the thought of driving. Until I drove my first lesson. I love driving now
    snowhitiesid3windr
  • Lego__MinonLego__Minon EnglandMember Posts: 94
    Thank you for hosting :)

For me it's musicals, I thought the concept of people spontaneously bursting into song during a film was weird. It's still weird, but in a good way. I've been converted, and now Sweeney Todd and Les Miserable are 2 of my favourite ways to spend a lazy afternoon. :)
    snowhitie
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 108
    Classical music and orchestras for me - words that the vast majority of 29 year olds still scoff at! As a youngster, I was never the biggest music fan, and sitting in the car with the parents on a Friday night with Radio 2 playing was a sure fire way to send me to sleep! I started getting into music in the late 90's, in particular indie and rock, and one that has always been my favourite has been Muse, who have managed to merge orchestras and rock music seamlessly. Hearing Butterflies and Hurricanes for the first time was the moment it clicked, and whilst I still wouldn't choose to listen to the likes of Mozart or Beethoven, I can at the very least appreciate the music for what it is and why it still very much lives on.
    snowhitieSeijiAmasawa
  • toftof Member Posts: 131
    Onions. I hated them when I was a kid and refused to eat any. Until one day, late teenager I tried some and loved it! I love Onions ! Raw or cooked! Whatever!
    snowhitie
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 326
    Believe it or not, Star Wars. As a child I never saw the appeal, then I watched all of them and I was hooked - I still am!
    snowhitie
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 595
    Believe it or not, Star Wars. As a child I loved them, then I watched all of them and I was a bit put off. Still love the OT though, and special mention for Rogue One.
    vizzitorsnowhitie
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 472
    I love bacon..She's a vegetarian..we make it work!
    FowlerBricksvizzitorsnowhitie
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,137
    Used to hate country music, once I started listening to it in college I started loving it.
    snowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,459
    edited February 9
    I was convinced going on a cruise was dumb.  After taking an 11-day cruise to Alaska, I has convinced I was dumb to think a cruise was dumb.

(I ate so much salmon, crab legs and steak!)
    Switchfoot55FowlerBricksricecakeTyresOFlahertyvizzitorsnowhitie
  • KerreKerre In a bar, under the sea.Member Posts: 320
    Oh my, what a good but difficult question.

One of the things I opened up to is keeping a journal, something I considered very girly as a pubescent boy. Started doing this after I received my maternal grandfather's journal after his death. Helps me order my thoughts and it's also a good reference to go and look back on some of the better and worse moments in life years later.

Thank you for hosting @snowhitie !
    FowlerBricksbandit778ricecakevizzitorsnowhitieMAGNINOMINISUMBRAsid3windr
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 576
    I used to hate pizza as a kid. Then I became a teenager.
    vizzitorsnowhitie
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,089
    In general, for so many things- I thought trying new things, going to new places, getting out of your comfort zone was bad or stupid. If the way everything is, is generally ok, why risk it? I dropped that mindset many years ago and have slowly realized just how much I was missing out on.
    FowlerBricksricecakevizzitorsnowhitiebandit778MAGNINOMINISUMBRAsid3windr
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,980
    edited February 9
    Post first, read later! Nothing nearly as good as snowhitie's story but my wife, then fiancee' , told me she didn't do flowers and wasn't big on all that mushy stuff. So I foolishly believed her and did pretty much nothing for our first V-Day after we got married. I came home from work and she was thoroughly pissed and doing shots of Tequila (she doesn't drink). She was too toasted to do much more then pass out and that was the end of it. We laugh about our young and foolish days now and have been married for over 27 years.
    snowhitiebandit778Renegade007cjh
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 750
    edited February 9

I broke up with a ex right before Valentine's Day, after I had planned a romantic evening of course.  I was devastated then, but now I would thank her because I wouldn't have met my lovely wife of 16 years soon after otherwise!

And to the above post^^  Don't worry about what other people think about you, because they are doing the same thing you are, worrying about what other people think about them...

snowhitieMr_Crossbandit778ricecake
  • HarrymattpotterHarrymattpotter UKMember Posts: 25
    I thought the UCS millennium falcon was going to be too expensive, then I saw what it looked like.....
    snowhitiesid3windr
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 408
    Thanks for posting Snowwhite.

Mine is related to food. And they say you like what your parent's eat, and for me this is very much the case.

My Dad did not like melted cheese or Olives, or Yoghurts plus a host of other stuff.

I did not like the above when growing up as a teenager either, it was only when I went to UNI that I started experimenting (with food, keep it clean).

And now Macaroni Cheese, Olives and Yoghurt's are all my favourite food.
    snowhitiericecake
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 653
    I'm with @bandit778 in that I didn't see marriage as much more than a piece of paper & so couldn't see the point.
    And then I met the now Mrs Toc & that changed things. I knew I wanted to make that sort of commitment to her.
    It's been over 11 years now.

A couple of months ago I had the privilege of being a Witness at the marriage ceremony of the friend who was my Best Man. His expression immediately after was much like I suspect mine was. The ceremony felt like the mental equivalent of being run over by a large truck. Even with some run-throughs & the like, you don't really appreciate the enormity of it until you do it for real.
    snowhitieMr_Crossbandit778FowlerBricksricecake