Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

The rubber hair thread.

GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 62
edited February 28 in Everything else LEGO
This is a thread about rubber LEGO hair. Specifically long hair and why I think rubber is better for long hair than hard plastic.
Long hard plastic hair cannot rotate with the head but long rubber hair can.
I am actually quite impressed with friends hair since it's rubber. it works with both minidolls and minifigs and can rotate with the head on both types. (rotates easier on minidolls but still works with minifigs, somewhat covers the eyes on minifigs when the head is rotated.)
I just wish LEGO would make more rubber long hair for female minifigs. Cause it's more convenient.

I also dislike the star wars twi'lek lekku headpieces. They're hard plastic and the head cannot rotate with it on. LEGO should make rubber twi'lek headpieces for future star wars sets.

(when I say cannot rotate I mean the torso and arms are in the way of hard plastic hair)

• Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 682
    I like it for the finish. Hard plastic is a bit too gloss
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 403
    I like the larger hairpieces to not be hard and solid, but to have some give in them the way the more rubberized pieces do as well.  I always wondered about aging of those pieces vs. the standard plastics however, as the standard plastics age very well, while softer, more rubbery plastics, in my experience, do tend to age more poorly as they become more brittle and crack or crumble.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,368
    edited February 28
    Convenience does not mean anything compared to cost. Fairly certain rubber hair, or any non-plastic, parts are not in LEGO's 'wheelhouse'. Typically anything not plastic is outsourced to other companies, which means greater costs to LEGO, which means greater costs to we the consumer.
    It is also one of the chief reasons why we no longer see 9V trains anymore (according to LEGO anyway).
    Im not sure how much hair in the friends line is rubber vs hard plastic, but I am guessing it is not cheaper than plastic.

• Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 682
    ^Given the lower quantity of Minidolls to a comparable size Minifigure based set (not even going as far as the advent calendars), I think it's fairly certain minidolls are at least double the cost, possibly three times.
    Some of that at least is down to the hair