Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Collecting Old LEGO Glued Models...

IstokgIstokg MichiganPosts: 1,827
edited January 2012 in Collecting
For me the words GLUE and LEGO fit together like "fingernails" and "chalkboard".... I would HATE to ever have to glue LEGO models I build together.

But there is a genre of LEGO collecting that deals with glued models... but not MOCs.... but glued LEGO company display models.

One of the reasons my new 2500+ page Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90s) on CD took what seems like forever to finish is partly due to a group of collectors that like glued company display models.

So some of my previous CD chapters (which are in this one as a combined package) have had additions of display item images (as well as additional rare parts images).

It's rare to find any kind of pedigree on old LEGO models, except those from a "well photographed" LEGOLAND. But 2 European collectors had a pair of large 35 year old LEGO glued display models that I later found the history on.

They are a model of a Dutch royal residence... Soestdijk Palace, and of a large LEGO church.

The church model was likely from a production run of the same glued models.... but the palace model was more of unique type item. It was very wide and bulky and didn't seem like a mass produced display model.

So I have these 2 images and a few months ago their provenance (of sorts) showed up in an old Dutch news image.

The 3rd picture shows tall Dutch Prince Claus (late husband of Queen Beatrix. d. 2006) at the opening of new LEGO sales offices in the Netherlands in 1975. LEGO President Godtfred Kirk Christiansen (d. 1995) is shown with Prince Claus at the opening ceremony of the new Dutch offices. Prince Clause is intrigued by the palace that he knows all too well. And what is next to it? Why the church model of course.

The church model pictured below survived intact over the decades, but the royal palace was broken into 3 parts, and the middle part (main block of the palace) was lost long ago. So it has been recreated based on actual palace images. Now that an image of the real model appeared, the owner plans to adjust his model to match. Also, I posted b/w images of color original pics (except the Prince Claus pic), since these all went into my LEGO Chapter on the history of LEGO sales by country... where most pics were already b/w.

It's the putting together little pieces of the vast puzzle that we know as LEGO, which I totally enjoy. And those that have purchased my previous Collectors Guide... they like those little obscure bits of the LEGO story that ... ;-)

Gary Istok

Comments