Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Re: POTC in Stores

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,559
edited April 2011 in Shopping USA/Canada
Saturday a friend of mine went to his local Toys R Us in Chicago. Afterwards he gave me a run-down on what was in stock there. Amongst the City, Star Wars and Toy Story sets that have been available for months, he also mentioned that there were three of the POTC sets. I asked him which ones and he described The London Escape, Captain's Cabin and Queen Anne's Revenge and then confirmed them via photographs here that I sent him links to. He's never seen pictures of these sets before so the fact that he was able to describe them (as well as my trust in his honesty) indicates that he wasn't confusing them with other sets or fabricating anything.

I didn't realize that these sets were already in stores. Have they begun appearing in stores elsewhere or is this a fluke occurance?

Comments

• mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    No pics = didn't happen.

Kidding. :)

But seriously, if possible, see if he can go back and get some pics. Better yet have him buy them and send them to you. I thought they were "embargoed" until May so unless others chime in soon here, I'd say this was a fluke.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    It's really not unheard of or surprising for TRU to release things a month or so before everyone else.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,268
    Saturday a friend of mine went to his local Toys R Us in Chicago. Afterwards he gave me a run-down on what was in stock there. Amongst the City, Star Wars and Toy Story sets that have been available for months, he also mentioned that there were three of the POTC sets. I asked him which ones and he described The London Escape, Captain's Cabin and Queen Anne's Revenge and then confirmed them via photographs here that I sent him links to. He's never seen pictures of these sets before so the fact that he was able to describe them (as well as my trust in his honesty) indicates that he wasn't confusing them with other sets or fabricating anything.

I didn't realize that these sets were already in stores. Have they begun appearing in stores elsewhere or is this a fluke occurance?
    Hmmmm, I may have to go out to my TRU and see (I am in the Chicagoland area)

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator Posts: 4,401
    Nothing in Northern Virginia so far but this great update from prof is kinda what I've been expecting, seeing that the movie is pretty close and that TLG listed the Queen Anne in the calendar as having a release date just days away. This could be awesome as TRU doesn't usually mark up sets in the first week or two and they're having a BOGO50% Off sale beginning Sunday with only HP, SW, and Mindstorm excluded.
    It's really not unheard of or surprising for TRU to release things a month or so before everyone else.
    Sure. But sometimes embargoes are broken too, like one of my local Target's did recently for Ninjago. So, it would still be helpful to identify if this is the planned TRU rollout or a fluke. I'd be very surprised if we don't hear more accounts of these sets showing up by the end of this week if indeed the official release is upon us.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Nothing here in NE Ohio yet. I'm drooling with anticipation to get a hold of some of the new elements being introduced in those sets...
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,559
    OK, spoke with him again and that was my mistake in saying Toys R Us. While he did go to Toys R Us and Target near him, he also went to a WalMart elsewhere. It was at the WalMart that he spotted it. The WalMart is not actually that near to him though like Toys R Us is so he can't just buzz out there (it is the middle of the week) but he said he'll go tomorrow or Friday if he can, worst case this weekend, snap a photo and buy a couple for me if they're still there. He's sworn me to secrecy as to the exact location of the store since they routinely put Star Wars action figures (his obsession) out weeks before they're supposed to debut as well and as a result he always gets them there first before they sell anywhere else. That suggests this is a fluke only applying to this particular WalMart but who knows. I'll post the pictures here as soon as he sends them.
    OK, he asked his wife (bless his wonderfully understanding wife) if she'd take the kids so he can do the grocery shopping instead of her and swing by via the extremely long route out to that WalMart and snap photos of them if they're still there. He thinks they will be since the Hasbro action figures are routinely put on the shelves 2-6 weeks before the official release date (which is how he manages to get them before anyone else does).
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,283
    Thanks for the updates; hopefully he manages to get them!
    They'd all been cleaned out. The tags were still there but the shelves had been emptied. He said the shelves were more organized as well suggesting that WalMart pulled them back rather than someone buying them. Also missing was the new Kingdoms set 7187 Escape from Dragon's Prison which he didn't mention before because he didn't realize it was a new set (as I said, he doesn't collect Lego so he didn't know what was new beyond the last time he and I hung out) but I was able to determine which one it was from his description of it. He said there had been only two copies of Queen Anne's Revenge so it's entirely possible that they didn't finish stocking them Saturday when he was there or else WalMart had limited stock of that set. Only 1 new Kingdoms set and 3 of the POTC sets also suggests that they weren't finished putting them out when he was there Saturday and that they withdrew them since then.

Nevertheless, here's the photos of the empty shelf space. While they're apparently not going to keep them out until later, we can at least confirm that Lego has shipped some of the sets to stores already.
    Incidently they pulled all of the new Hasbro Star Wars action figures too. He did pick up those for himself Saturday but they had trouble scanning them at checkout since they too weren't marked to be sold yet. He thinks perhaps his purchase is what alerted the manager that they were out too early and got them and the Lego sets yanked as well. He's never had that problem before with early purchases so maybe it's a change in management or something. :-(
    Thanks for the updates prof. I think May is when we'll see these hit officially. In the meantime we can watch ebay and see if anyone happened to get lucky and score them before they were pulled from this WalMart. :)
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,368
    If they are at the store, they will be out in the near future (within the week). Wal Mart forces retailers to pay for their space on the shelves and in the warehouses. If the product is in the store, even if its in the back, Wal Mart will want it out ASAP in order to keep the product moving. Also, TLG wouldn't want to pay the freight for just storing pallets of sets at the store for three weeks. I think the bodes well for an early release. I for one can't wait! ARRRRGGG.
    edited April 2011
    If they are at the store, they will be out in the near future (within the week).
    This doesn't jibe with prof's claim above:

"He's sworn me to secrecy as to the exact location of the store since they routinely put Star Wars action figures (his obsession) out weeks before they're supposed to debut..."

Unless you are saying that Lego is treated differently than action figures which frankly does stand up to reason. Sure, per unit, Lego takes more space. But a large volume of figures is going to take up a lot of space too.

I'm not saying these won't hit this week or next, but I don't think we can determine that for certain merely because they are in some stores today.
  • veedubguy83veedubguy83 Member Posts: 29
    I have a feeling that they are going to be coming out around the 16th of April or so. One of my local stores that sells a decent amount of LEGO's has their entire LEGO stock on sale for 15% off plus another 10% off until the 16th... Sounds like they are trying to clear inventory to make room for some new product.
    @mkoesel. I can just tell you how Wal Mart operates through clients I represent. Wal Mart charges huge amounts to suppliers for storage on site. It would not make sense for TLG to send the boxes to a store only to have them sit for weeks. The charges for having the pallets sit would outweigh any profit they would make.
    ^ I hear you, I would only add that what seems most logical and obvious is not what always plays out in reality. :)
  • eiker86eiker86 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    ^ Probably because Brickset has it still marked as an unreleased set.

Nice pics, BTW. Looks like a great set.
    edited April 2011
    From that (very helpful) thread on EB, the sets are now available at TRU.com
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I talked to someone at the LEGO store and he said they start getting the sets in Monday but as far as he knows they can't sell them until May. I wonder if we'll see any sets in store at TRU before May 1st. I've called 2 different stores but they seem clueless.
    Like I said, I think the problem he had with his purchase of the Hasbro figures (out several weeks before they're supposed to be) alerted the manager or something. He was in line for about 10 minutes because the UPC wasn't entered into their system so no price came up on any of the figures. They had to do a price check with their manager on every figure individually (he bought one of every new action figure in the new wave much to his wife's shock when he came home Saturday from what was supposed to be a shopping trip for his son's birthday, not a Star Wars figure spree). Perhaps they didn't want to have a repeat of the checkout problem with the Lego as well.
    I can confirm that the are live in the St Louis Missouri area at TRU. I bought 5 sets today
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I can also confirm they are in TRU brick & mortar. Picked up sets in Indianapolis TRU today.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidersdd/5620870202
    I had a feeling we'd be seeing them just in time for next weeks big TRU bogo50% sale. Now if I can just hold out...
    YellowCastle, is it certain that these will not be discluded from that sale? If they are included and prices are not marked up then it will be the perfect time to snag them. That is, if any are still left on the shelves after this weekend. What day does the sale start?
  • sas0214sas0214 USAMember Posts: 28
    Toys R Us in Johnson City, TN, has 7 sets out on the shelf.
    Only SW, HP, and Mindstorms are excluded. I'll prolly post it on Brickset today.
  • Matej_EmperorMatej_Emperor Member Posts: 2
    I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and from today (15th April), PoTC sets are avaliable in our stores.

Maybe I'll post some pictures of new sets... :)
  • veedubguy83veedubguy83 Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2011
    They are also for sale on the Toysrus.com website!

• starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,257
    Saw them at Toys R Us today. They had everything but the Fountain of youth. They said they could order it and have it shipped to me for free.
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    Has anyone seen these in Canada yet? And if so, do you happen to know what the price is? I intend to pick some up, but for planning purposes I'd like to know the price differential between the US and Canada so I can figure out which sets are worth waiting for a sale to buy.
    edited April 2011
    Well, it looks like the TRU markup has hit online now too. When I checked just yesterday evening (just after returning from my local TRU run, in fact) they were still showing MSRP on toysrus.com. The mark-up is 10% on all sets except captains cabin which is only marked up $1 instead of $1.20 (which would be 10%).

I actually got most of the sets yesterday evening in store, and was nearly hit by the markup there, myself (which caught me off guard, I must say). It was only for the fact that they had neglected to change the price as advertised on the shelf that got me the original price. So I successfully got them to honor the MSRP pricing thankfully.

As a side note, they also accidentally overcharged me (double, in fact, due to wringing in the wrong item over and over) for all my S4 minifigs. As a gesture of kindness (on top of giving me the correct pricing of course), the manager also cut another $15 from my order due to these mistakes. I was pleased by this. When I returned home my wife reminded me that because I'd already checked out and it was a big error ($100 or so), due to consumer protection laws in our state, I probably could have gotten up to $100 off my bill. I smiled and said that I wouldn't have pursued that even if I'd known. I'm not out to gouge them - the overcharge was an honest mistake by the cashier, and the PotC markup mishap would only totalled about $15.

On the way home I stopped by another TRU and found one last Technic Super Car in stock there which allowed me to pair with the QAR for the BOGO. Although I was now forced to pay the markup on the QAR, I was pleased by this as well because the other TRU did not have the Super Car and thus I had been forced to leave that first TRU with no QAR.
    edited April 2011
    By the way, does anyone know if Walmart went ahead and put out the sets now? Once the BOGO ends, It would be nice to know they are available at MSRP somewhere at retail (besides Lego Stores which aren't always convenient or available) now that the TRU price-gouge is in full effect. I suspect that the next few TRU BOGOs will exclude PotC.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,283
    edited April 2011
    ^ I saw them at Target for MSRP today.

That's pretty aggravating that TRU.com is marked up now as well, as I was planning to put in an order. I suppose it's personally for the better, since the QAR was the only set that I considered essential.
  • TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
    Saw all the POTC sets except QAR at local Target today, in good quantities. Everything was marked at list prices.
    Also found CM's there too, so they must have gotten a recent shipment.
  • tomcatttomcatt CanadaMember Posts: 24
    "Has anyone seen these in Canada yet? And if so, do you happen to know what the price is? "

I just picked up all 8 from TLS in Calgary. My friend who works there said they just got them in today. Prices are as follows (same as Lego S@H):

4191 - 14.99 (Captain's Cabin)
    4181 - 24.99 (Isla de Muerta)
    4192 - 24.99 (Fountain of Youth)
    4182 - 39.99 (Cannibal Escape)
    4183 - 49.99 (Mill)
    4193 - 64.99 (London Escape)
    4194 - 99.99 (Whitecap Bay)
    4195 - 149.99 (Queen Anne's Revenge)