Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Can you recycle Lego?

madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,879
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I know this may sound a bit sacrilege, but I have had many pieces that are just so beat up that I would not want to dump them to charity or goodwill because they are sooo beat up(cracked, or otherwise broken, unusable)..
So I have to ask:
Can you throw Lego into a recycle bin?

Comments

• davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 776
    Nope! Unfortunately, it's not recyclable. ABS plastic is too high quality-- supposedly LEGO looked into making their plastic more eco-friendly, but recyclable or biodegradable plastics simply didn't meet the quality standards for LEGO.

DaveE
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Actually, that is not exactly correct. It has nothing to do with quality, sewage pipes are often made of ABS. It is possible to recycle ABS. However, in general, there are lots of practical problems to plastics recycling. Most consumer recycling infrastructure is limited to recycling PET and HDPE. So you won't be able to recycle Lego despite the technical ability to do so.