Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• BalloonistBalloonist Member Posts: 50
    Not your problem if the seller doesn't make a profit. I'd pay the £20 through PayPal and ask for the item to be sent securely. If he doesn't send it, file a dispute with eBay.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    edited June 2012
    ^Or you could turn the tables and outbid at his other auctions, then tell him that you're not willing to buy at that price... ;)

Edit: Don't do that, I'm just being mischievous. :)
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Haha! Yep, win all of his items, then say you'd be losing money and won't pay that much.
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 622
    Just leave him poor feedback, there's not much else you can do, apart from rant abit.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    ^ Report him to ebay immediately, he doesn't have the option to not accept the final bid. Forward his email to them, and send him a reply that you are pressing the issue, he has to sell it to you at the final bid price!
    That's what reserves are for. He's gotta sell.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,387
    Acedogg: I'd have paid and made the seller cancel on you. I thought you needed a very good reason to back out of a sale. You take the lows with the highs - I just sold a minifig for £1.04 that I was expecting to get to about £4. Surely you's both have to agree to cancel a sale?
    I've lost money tons of times on auctions.. Just goes with business. If you need a certain amount of money, do a BIN or use a reserve.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM SW LondonMember Posts: 916
    File an item not received dispute with eBay and leave negative feedback. He won't be forced into selling the item at that price, but you will be refunded and hopefully others will avoid him in the future.
  • SWAT_StrachanSWAT_Strachan Member Posts: 24
    Just bought Dumbledores office 4729 of an ebayer named Legendary, winning bid was £15.41 and postage took it just over £20, only to recieve a message saying he isn't willing to sell at that price as he's losing money on it and wants at least £30 for it.

If that was the case, set the start price at £30 or put a reserve on, pretty fuming about it tbh.

He does have other lego up for auction, so I'd recommend you all avoid.
    Report him, it must be a breach of eBay's terms and conditions. If he didn't want to sell at such a low price he should have set a reserve. but he didn't so it's his problem.

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    That's what reserves are for. He's gotta sell.
    In my experience in life, there is no margin in trying to make people do things they simply don't want to do.

If the seller doesn't want to sell it, trying to force him to isn't going to produce a happy outcome most of the time.
    Its just all not worth the stress, you may be angry right now but tomorrows another day.

• acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    Oh I've paid, and explained that theres been plenty of times I've sold things and not got what I'd hoped for. I sense a great dispute in the force (coming on).

The main reason I posted is just to make you all wary of the fact he has more lego up for auction and didn't want any of you getting the same schtick.

I've been on ebay for years and never once had something along these lines, plus the guy's got over 228 feedback, so it's not like the first time he's listed on there.
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2012
    Just bought Dumbledores office 4729 of an ebayer named Legendary, winning bid was £15.41 and postage took it just over £20, only to recieve a message saying he isn't willing to sell at that price as he's losing money on it and wants at least £30 for it.

If that was the case, set the start price at £30 or put a reserve on, pretty fuming about it tbh.

He does have other lego up for auction, so I'd recommend you all avoid.
    Late on today:

This action by the seller is a Direct Violation of the Terms and conditions of Ebay, But keep this in mind:

"If you feel that you have a legitimate reason for not buying the item, you can contact the seller and explain your situation. The seller may agree to cancel the transaction.
    As a buyer, you're obligated to complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller. If you don't pay, the seller can open an unpaid item case, which could be recorded on your account.

If you feel that you have a valid reason for not paying, you should contact the seller and explain the situation. If you and the seller agree not to complete the transaction, you'll be released from your commitment to purchase the item"

I Would take all power out of his hands and pay I no A Pain wait the time and open an item not received case, get your money back and leave a negative, this way you prevent damage to your self and leaving the negative alerts others to this seller.

You may even get the item stranger things happen!
    Can you force him to send it to you? No.. But the negative rep will cost him more money in the long run.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 3,933
    Oh I've paid, and explained that theres been plenty of times I've sold things and not got what I'd hoped for. I sense a great dispute in the force (coming on).

The main reason I posted is just to make you all wary of the fact he has more lego up for auction and didn't want any of you getting the same schtick.

I've been on ebay for years and never once had something along these lines, plus the guy's got over 228 feedback, so it's not like the first time he's listed on there.
    I'm an eBay seller and have been doing so for quite a long time. The seller is 100% obligated to send you the item with the winning bid (assuming you pay etc..). The auction cannot end, and then him request a higher price because it's not enough. That's just wrong and a blatant disregard for eBay policy.
    This has probably already been suggested but:
    1. Pay for the item
    2. Call eBay and report the seller. They can go through your past messages and will see the message he sent you. Most likely this seller will get a warning he has to send it, or banned right away. I don't know what eBay will do, but it will be obvious the seller is in the wrong.
    3. Whatever eBay tells you to do, do it. ;-)

If you don't want to waste the time because most likely you won't get your item anyway, at least do it for all the other buyers out there that will get this same type of "scam" if the seller is allowed to continue to sell.

Just my $.02!
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I still don't understand why someone would bid for some eBay Lego when you can Bricklink it etc. for a set price. Maybe it's too high sometimes (eg Minifigs etc) but to bid and not actually be sure and if you truly want it you'll pay anything....
    For me eBay is a scam, shadow bidders, last minute bidders - is it really worth it?
    eBay forces the price up for no reason other than to make the seller money (it's a simple point) but to have a few friends bid in and get the price higher (mostly above the rate required eg bids in $1) is just a useless amount of waste of time for me.
    I never bother with eBay - it just sh#ts me.
    If I want Lego, I'll just Bricklink it and go with it.
    Rant over :D
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    I have the Lego PC Batman game up for auction. It's currently at £17.55 + £2.50 with two hours left. RRP is £19.99.. I can't believe it.. It seems that ebayers live in a world where amazon and other stores do not exist.
    Maybe some people just want to use up the money in their paypal account? I know I used to do this. I still didnt want to pay more than rrp but a tiny bit extra didnt matter, as not many places take paypal.
    But withdrawing funds to your bank account is free...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,345
    Some people don't bother to shop around. Some people don't like PayPal funds to appear in their bank account, they think it helps to avoid tax. And some people will buy on eBay and get a freebie by claiming non-delivery, so make sure you can either stand the loss or are willing to go through the proof of postage claims procedure with the RM if you don't use recorded delivery.
    ^^Not on a small amounts its not.
    Just for a an example, your kid bugs you for the newest game.... you dont have £40 or whatever it costs in your purse that week, so you sell a few bits on ebay, money goes into paypal , and you can buy the game. Ebay has a wide range of users, some more savvy than others! Its the dippy sellers that irritate me! Take your money for an item and take forever to post it!
    edited June 2012
    ^ I do that too! Money-laundering from Italy to the UK. Well not exactly but my mother has tons of antique/vintage stuff (documents/cards/old coins) which they sometimes sold at fairs. Having no other way to spend it I usually convert them in lego sets :D But if for example it would be cheaper to pay a BL seller with good rep through IBAN I use that..

I just checked and it is free to withdraw funds to UK banks. Unless you choose the "super-fast" (?) option, then you have to pay £5.
    Ebay is mostly a rip off a lot of the time, you have to be patient to get the bargains, I picked up the Rogue Shadow ship for £16 on there and I missed out on a job lot of 10 kilos over the weekend, my higest bid was £80 but it finished while I was at work for £108, the Star Wars sets that were in it were worth over £300 alone and given there was another 5 or 6 kilos of lego I could have sold on to offset some of the outlay on the sets.

The latest update from Legendary is that I should forget it and move on, apparently he/she has mentioned in the last message that they have another account with over 1000 feedback on it.:/
    ^over 1000 feedback, that's not so special! With 2 accounts he should know better! Initially I would have kind of agreed with him and just forgot about it, but he sounds like he is bullying you now, just report him to ebay , but do it by phone , you tend to get better service that way. :)
    Never just forget it. At least leave negative feedback if a seller refuses to sell.
    Do you have a link to his other listings?
    It is always worth your while to leave negative feed back when it is deserved. For those who check out a reputation before using a seller, 1 bad feedbackis worth many good ones - everyone always focusses on the negative. Dont be nasty, just say "seller refused to honour winning bid despite receiving immediate payment".
    Yep.. I'll pay an extra few bucks for someone with 100% feedback.
    There's an auction for 2 x 9493 starting at 99p + £59.00 s&h!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,255
    ^ Unbelievable because it is high, or low?

Look at the picture, it is very detailed, the seller has thousands of feedback, top rated, good percentage, etc.

They specifically say "mint condition", and "smoke and pet free home".

Clearly this is a professional seller, I would expect professional service from him/her, and I would pay more for it.

For 16 retired, rareish figs, this seems reasonable. But then I don't collect minifigs, so perhaps it is not, but to my eye, I don't see any red flags (or Red Doodads, for that matter).
    Yes, I don't see anything wrong other than the item description said Series 4, which could have just been a mistake.

Opened "mint" Series 1 have been going for $100-$130 and sealed set around $150. Series 1 CMF's were hard to come by when they came because Lego didn't produce as much as the other Series to date. That's why there's such a big gap between Series 1 and almost every other series. Series 1 is the only series that was worth inventing back when they came out. Series 2 could be, but only because of the Spartan and many people trying to recreate 300:)

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,255
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^ Isn't it a binding contract though? I'm not much of an ebayer but thought the seller has to honour
    Is it legal within ebay's rules to have multiple accounts?
    ^ Isn't it a binding contract though? I'm not much of an ebayer but thought the seller has to honour
    Yes, it is a binding contract, however keep in mind that to enforce it, you would have to take the seller to court.

That strikes me as rather extreme, but your mileage may vary. :)
    Is it legal within ebay's rules to have multiple accounts?
    Yes, it is, so long as they never touch each other.

http://reviews.ebay.com/ADVANTAGES-OF-HAVING-2-EBAY-ACCOUNTS-amp-HOW-TO-DO-IT?ugid=10000000009383003
    ^ Thanks. As much as I dislike conflict, I am one who believes customer service is essential and I would never cave to a seller who says he doesn't want to sell at the final bid price.
    Fair enough, but you would spend more money than the item is worth making your point.

Just something to consider...
    edited June 2012
    ^^ What would you actually do though? Would you pay more than the auction amount in legal fees to try to get him to sell? If someone doesn't want to do something, it is very difficult (expensive) to get them to do it. Have you actually lost anything if a seller refuses to sell?

What if a seller says OK, pay me, and they send you an empty box, or a box of crap of the right weight? It then becomes even more of a hassle to get a refund - and costs you money to return it. Or they take payment, wait two weeks, and say the item was lost in post, here is a refund. Or they purposely bash the set up a bit and send it?

If a seller refuses to sell, I make sure others know about it, by leaving appropriate negative feedback.
    Well a dispute and no doubt eventual refund is the way it'll go along with feedback highlighting the issues encountered, is what will happen.

Like I said the main reason I brought it up here was for anyone who uses ebay to be made wary of this person. And to let of steam lol, a problem shared etc.
    Acedogg: Good on you. If everyone shrugged their shoulders and did nowt then this seller and many others wouldn't think twice about doing it again. If you sell a lot you have to value your reputation. It has cost you nothing to launch a dispute and leave the seller some negative feedback.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 753
    Is that even "legal" - i thought it was a commitment (on both sides) once the auction ended..?

Is that even "legal" - i thought it was a commitment (on both sides) once the auction ended..?
    :) Read a few posts up. :)

No, it isn't legal, but it would take a lawsuit to enforce the issue, which would be rather extreme.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,777
    I thought this was interesting.

Seller has pre-sold 17 sealed boxes of Olympic Figures at £179.99 each. I wonder how they have secured such a large amount, which is around 3 times what branches of John Lewis are getting. hmmm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-60-X-Lego-London-2012-Olympic-Team-GB-Complete-Unopened-Box-PRE-ORDER-/261041694911?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item3cc74c28bf
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,565
    ^must live in london and is gonna be scrambling around. Although at sixty in a box he is only making £30 minus ebay fees doesnt seem worth it.
    ^must live in london and is gonna be scrambling around. Although at sixty in a box he is only making £30 minus ebay fees doesnt seem worth it.
    don't you mean £60? I thought they were £2 each so that is £120 a box approx!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-STAR-WARS-MILLENNIUM-FALCON-SET-7965-BRAND-NEW-BOXED-/300727566568?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item4604c280e8&autorefresh=true#ht_500wt_1048

That MF sold for £89.99 + £10.75 delivery...

Isnt a brand new from Amazon for £90 inc delivery?
    And Tesco & Argos £90 and free to collect :)
    Tictoctoyshop has some interesting "rare" figures for sale. Especially the Luke Hoth Commander complete with cape and caped General Veers also. It's not even clear that these are custom jobs.