Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Hello from the DC 'burbs

AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
edited September 2012 in Introduce yourself
Attending Brickfair last month made me nostalgic for my Lego-collecting days, and in the last 30 days since the con, I've bought and built an awful lot of Lego (some 7000+ pieces of it).

I had a huge amount of Lego as a child (city, castle, space, and Technic, especially, but mostly just getting a ton of pieces and building stuff of my own), and then went through a decade-long dark age. When the Star Wars Lego sets came out, I bought all of them for about a two-year period, and also the pirate ships (at the time hugely discounted, though sadly I gave the ships away when I moved cross-country), as well as the big Technic sets. Then I put away the Lego for the better part of a decade. (Though my husband did propose with an engagement ring inside a wedding-cake wedge he'd made out of Lego... all the more amusing because he is not himself a fan.)

I've bought a few sets over the last few years, when I'd get the urge to build again, but it wasn't until Brickfair that I truly got bitten by the bug once more. I'm really enjoying the range of new building techniques that have appeared in the sets since I last really collected, the attention to detail, and the general artistry that's been emphasized in the visual looks.

I've been buying mostly theme sets, and I prefer medium to large-size sets with interesting designs and varied builds. I want to go back to building my own things, but I need to build up a sufficiently large collection of pieces again.