Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO fight Against Chinese counterfeit LEGO

Comments

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,279
    Didn't they spell his name "Jacen" in the books?
    SprinkleOtter
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 788
    nhyone said:
    stlux said:

In the reviews people complain about broken pieces, wrong pieces, and missing instructions, so seems you get what you pay for.
    That may be the reseller's fault if they repackage the set. Or it could be fake reviews.
    Occam's razor?
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 267
    nhyone said:
    stlux said:

In the reviews people complain about broken pieces, wrong pieces, and missing instructions, so seems you get what you pay for.
    That may be the reseller's fault if they repackage the set. Or it could be fake reviews.
    Occam's razor?

No thanks, I prefer Gillette...
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegoPitfall69
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    xwingpilot said:

Occam's razor?
    Fake reviews then.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,014
    stlux said:
    CCC said:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-378Pcs-Technic-Motorcycle-Exploiture-Model-Harley-Vehicle-Building-Bricks-Block-Set-Toy-Gift-Compatible-With/32663757468.html?tr

I saw this in the flesh yesterday at a friend's house. It's the first fake technical I've seen up close. It looked absolutely superb and really well built and strong to play with. I'm not sure if it is a direct lego copy or not (I'm not big on technical).

That does look superb - Lego should be very worried! All that for US$20 delivered to the UK, wow!

LEGO has their own quality issues. I have no data to indicate if they have more or fewer of these issues than their competitors. LEGO does have a history of making things right, but their product is not always perfect.

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/22448/quality-issues-broken-parts/p1

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    edited September 2016
    ^ my Falcon shipped, so I'll post on the parts quality once I receive it.  Unless the mods don't want me to. Personally, I'm intrigued to see the comparison.
    CCCcheshirecatJern92
  • kizkizkizkiz londonMember Posts: 90
    I caved and ordered a falcon too. No way I'm ever buying a Lego one at those prices!

• LunchieteyLunchietey Australia Member Posts: 24
    dougts said:
    ^ my Falcon shipped, so I'll post on the parts quality once I receive it.  Unless the mods don't want me to. Personally, I'm intrigued to see the comparison.
    Looking forward to the review!

I don't feel bad at all buying replicas of retired sets. It's not coming out of Lego's pockets and I'll buy any rereleases as they come out to replace them.

If lego don't want us buying a MF, feel free to rerelease the 10179 ;)
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 444
    I was looking at some of their sets (for research only), and when I looked at this set and zoomed in I can clearly see LEGO printed on the bricks. Are they stealing stock photos as well? Someone may have mentioned before but I just noticed it, look for yourself.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-LEPIN-05031-933Pcs-Star-Wars-Clone-Turbo-Tank-Model-Building-Kit-Minifigure-Blocks-Brick/32703525250.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.134.IXHRYr
    I can see LEGO on the pics with the store watermark, but not on the one with the LEPIN box. Could be that the seller is stealing LEGO pics to supplement the LEPIN image. I'd think LEGO could come after the seller for use of LEGO images selling non-LEGO product. 
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 738
    datsunrobbie said
    SNIP
    LEGO has their own quality issues. I have no data to indicate if they have more or fewer of these issues than their competitors. LEGO does have a history of making things right, but their product is not always perfect.
    SNIP

This is the part I just can't wrap my head around - I've been buying LEGO sets for over thirty years - i didn't have a broken or missing piece for the first 25 of them...THESE DAYS? Different story
    I was looking at some of their sets (for research only), and when I looked at this set and zoomed in I can clearly see LEGO printed on the bricks. Are they stealing stock photos as well?
    Pictures of LEPIN products seem to evolve. You can find photographs which are clearly LEGO sets with just the main logo altered - but the the logos on the sides still say "LEGO". They may even have the original set number.
    datsunrobbie said:
    I'd think LEGO could come after the seller for use of LEGO images selling non-LEGO product. 
    I doubt there's any sort of basis for that - anywhere. You might think that the images themselves would be copyright - but anybody can take an identical photograph of an original set so, unless covertly watermarked, it would be impossible to prove.

There's also no real reason why somebody can't use such a photograph as a prop to a sale. They'd be crossing a line if they tried to claim or imply that what they were selling was a LEGO set when it wasn't, but they aren't doing that. The pictures are only ever a representation of something similar, whatever you're selling.

If that wasn't enough, the real killer is that you're just talking about one store amongst maybe hundreds. They might all be using the same set of photographs, but you'd have to go after them all individually.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    ^ using the original LEGO photos is - for certain - copywrite infringement in the USA.  If/how/when that extends internationally I will leave to the lawyers.

But to your bigger point - it's an unwinnable battle trying to process take-down complaints on sites like ebay/alibaba
  • LunchieteyLunchietey Australia Member Posts: 24
    There are real reviews of finished sets around. I even saw a SSD replica for sale locally which sold almost instantly for much more than it costs to buy(the ad clearly stated it wasn't actually lego beforr anyone asks)

Looked exactly the same in the images I saw so I'm confident it will be decent.
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 138
    I can see LEGO on the pics with the store watermark, but not on the one with the LEPIN box. Could be that the seller is stealing LEGO pics to supplement the LEPIN image. I'd think LEGO could come after the seller for use of LEGO images selling non-LEGO product. 
    Lepin has a small set of images -- all lifted from Lego too -- but many stores use stock Lego images too, so don't use them to check for accuracy. :-D

The only way to tell what is in the set (and what has changed) is to wait for reviews. Really.
    edited September 2016
    After a short hiatus, Lepin has announced its next batch of clones.

Among them is Haunted House. This is not news if you follow other forums. What is not mentioned is that this is a limited release. With this as a precedent, I'm quite certain that Lepin will release the Winter Village sets in a couple of months' time.

The pricing is also interesting. It is 30% more expensive than the Modulars. TLG priced it 20% more (US$180 vs US$150), so it looks like this set is expensive to make. That could be why it was discontinued so quickly.
    dougts said:
    ^ using the original LEGO photos is - for certain - copywrite infringement in the USA.
    Sure. But my point was that if the photograph is of a set, it's difficult to prove it's not a photograph somebody else didn't take, especially if it's been doctored - difficult enough to make its pursuit futile.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,458
    I'm amused that a Lepin release is 'limited'.  Better run out and buy one before they are gone!

Maybe they'll do a limited release of an Exo-Suit.  
    dougtsstlux
  • RecceRecce 10,171km away from BillundMember Posts: 685
    I think the Lepin instruction booklet covers are also using the Lego set images, though interestingly the stud surfaces don't seem to have the Lego word.
    SumoLego said:
    I'm amused that a Lepin release is 'limited'.  Better run out and buy one before they are gone!
    Apparently Lepin thinks it'll only sell during Halloween. It'll be back next year. :-D
    nhyone said:
    After a short hiatus, Lepin has announced its next batch of clones.

Among them is Haunted House. This is not news if you follow other forums. What is not mentioned is that this is a limited release. With this as a precedent, I'm quite certain that Lepin will release the Winter Village sets in a couple of months' time.

The pricing is also interesting. It is 30% more expensive than the Modulars. TLG priced it 20% more (US$180 vs US$150), so it looks like this set is expensive to make. That could be why it was discontinued so quickly.

I just saw this on AliExpress as well, my dream come true to be honest, as I have been looking for a Haunted House on ebay for ages, but the prices are just as ridiculous as with any retired Modular, SSD, Grand Carousel etc.

But I didn't find any indication that it is a limited release, at least not at the shops I checked.

And about the packaging versus Lego, this time they seem to have changed a bit more than usual - their Lepin Logo is different now, as is the title of the set: Monster's Warrior

;-)

edited September 2016
    And about the price: I didn't find the Haunted House to be more expensive than the Modulars. Prices for Germany start at about 50 USD plus shipping, for a total of around 75 USD. Modulars start at about the same price, but shipping is slightly cheaper on some offers, but in general you pay about 60 to 80 USD total for Modulars, depending on the type. So, not much different.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,385
    edited September 2016
    I missed the Haunted House when it was available and really regret it but I'm not going to use that as a reason to support Lepin. I work in a design focused industry so anything in the way of stealing designs is a no go for me.
    catwranglerstluxPitfall69TechnicNick
  • kizkizkizkiz londonMember Posts: 90
    Looks like the tower of orthanc is next
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 448
    I don't know if Lego could or would devote resources to that when the cloning of the sets in the first place is a much greater issue for them, but I do think that if the pictures could be proven to be Lego and not the clone brand being sold, a case could certainly be made that it is false advertising.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    edited September 2016
    I think the only set that could tempt me is the emerald night. Just missed that as I rediscovered Lego and regretted it ever since. But thats been available for some time (it even shows up here http://brickset.com/sets/10194-1/Emerald-Night) so it appears nothing will lure me to the dark side. 
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 444
    I went and looked at the Haunted House knock-off, the price is very reasonable and I desperately want a genuine one for Halloween, I just bought a #9468 from an e-bay auction and I think those two would make a great display piece. I just can't get myself to pull the trigger for either of the sets, the original is to expensive and the fake one would be the the first step towards turning to the dark side, Ugh, I regret ever following this thread because before I did I had no idea that lepin even existed.
    Sorry to admit it, but I will definitely buy the Lepin Haunted House.
    I bought the Lepin Green Grocer out of curiosity, just to see if it was any good. I had a bad experience with that purchase, but that was the fault of the seller.

Had the quality of the set itself not met my high expectations, I would have marked the experience as "ok, so it was a mistake", moved on and never ever even considered buing another Lepin knockoff. But as it is, the quality is really high, with imho only very few minor niggles. And when factoring in the price, these niggles become even less of an issue.

Now I will say this and I stand by it: I will never buy a Lepin knockoff of a Lego set that is still in production. The Lego Disney Castle for example is too expensive for my liking, so I will likely not buy it. But even though I could get the Lepin version at a fraction of the cost, I will not do so. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Retired sets otoh, as I said before, to me are a different matter. And when it comes to the Haunted House, which is one of my all-time favorite Lego sets, getting the Lepin one instead of feeding the aftermarket vultures is a no-brainer to me.
    Jern92Bobflip
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,385

Now I will say this and I stand by it: I will never buy a Lepin knockoff of a Lego set that is still in production. The Lego Disney Castle for example is too expensive for my liking, so I will likely not buy it. But even though I could get the Lepin version at a fraction of the cost, I will not do so. A line has to be drawn somewhere
    So what about when the LEGO Disney Castle goes EOL, it'll be fine to buy the Lepin one then?

Again, because of my line of work I see no justification for buying something that uses stolen designs. I can't afford to buy every LEGO set I want but I can accept that and just enjoy what I have instead 
    LyichirSumoLego
    edited September 2016
    No it won't be fine as Lepin started to offer it when it was officially available from Lego.
    That for me is the main difference. I am fine with Lepin offering sets that have already retired once they are first offered by Lepin, like the old Modulars, Grand Carousel, etc.
    All the new ones like the Porsche, Disney Castle, GBHQ etc. are no-go's for me!

Oh and by the way, for me it's not about being able to afford something. If Lego rereleased the Haunted House for example, I would buy it at retail in an instant. But I am not willing to feed the exorbitant aftermarket prices as those are infinitely removed from what those sets are worth, which is their original RRP, plus adjustment for inflation.
    TheMaker37Jern92
  • RecceRecce 10,171km away from BillundMember Posts: 685
    Pitfall69 said:

Regardless, I won't buy LEPIN products specifically because they aren't LEGO. 
    I would say this remark about sums up your personal viewpoint perfectly, given all your recent postings here, even though it comes out like a true fan boy comment. Make no mistake, this is the ultimate comment that every single CEO of every company in this world would want to hear from their targeted consumers. It's not a bad thing per se.

Everyone else, as Pitfall69 had mentioned, do not appologize for what you have done, or are going to do. Let not a person's view affects your own standing and what you believe in.

Remember, we come from all around the world, we each have our own vastly different upbringings, different social norm, culture, acceptability, education & legal system, moral high ground etc that leads to our very own personal experience and understanding of the things around us.

So do not appologize or be swayed by what others have said about you, stand firm, believe in yourselves and just have lots of fun. Afterall this is a fansite that brings together a group of people with a common interest in building bricks.

This will be my last post in this thread as I see no end to this constant arguing from both sides, unless TLG comes out and started suing the China brands, I don't see any further benefit in continuing with the bickerings. The time are left better spent on enjoying the brick building and MOCings. See you guys in the other threads.

Peace out :-)

Jern92flordJohnyk668ScatterbugTheMaker37LittleLori
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 530
    nhyone said:
    Odd. I paid NZD300 for the Haunted House, the same amount I paid for the Grand Emporium, when I ordered both off Lego Shop@Home. Didn't realise there was meant to be a price difference.
    edited September 2016
    Recce said:

This will be my last post in this thread ...
    Peace out :-)

^ D'Oh! ;)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,574
    Recce said:

This will be my last post in this thread as I see no end to this constant arguing from both sides
    Recce said:
    From other forums.

That lasted about an hour and a half :-)

SumoLego
    Coming from another thread, if LEPIN made monorail track I'd be all over it - couldn't resist. 
    tomahawkerJern92
    Coming from another thread, if LEPIN made monorail track I'd be all over it - couldn't resist. 
    You never know - LEPIN appear to have their ear to the ground with regard to what people want. If TLG listened half as much, most of this thread - and LEPIN - probably wouldn't exist.
    pharmjod
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,355
    TigerMoth said:
    You never know - LEPIN appear to have their ear to the ground with regard to what people want. If TLG listened half as much, most of this thread - and LEPIN - probably wouldn't exist.
    I don't think TLG doesn't listen, it's just that they've already found that things like re-releasing old sets are generally not in their best interest. LEGO could bring back an old modular building, for instance, but most of the time, chances are they could make more money and get more positive feedback by instead putting that investment towards an entirely new modular building. Lately the LEGO Group has dabbled in re-releases (Winter Toy Shop and Death Star), and a lot of the reactions have been negative. The LEGO Legends series years ago was similarly poorly received. Needless to say, what people say they want isn't always what they actually want.

I know the obvious counterpoint would be to argue that the Death Star and Winter Toy Shop were poorly received because they were released instead of new installments in those series, and if LEGO created re-releases AND new releases in those series then the re-releases would not be so widely panned. But there are a couple problems with that. First of all, the LEGO Group has to remain aware of what the market can bear. If they thought there were a market for two new modular buildings or two new Winter Village sets or three new Star Wars UCS sets per year, and had put that premise to the test, then it might be a different story. But re-releasing an old Winter Village set alongside a new one could mean that many fewer people buying either, because many buyers would be forced to choose between the two (not to mention between those and whatever previous installments are still available).

Also, the LEGO Group's production capacity is not unlimited. Even if Modular Building, UCS, and Winter Village re-releases didn't take the place of new installments in those series, ultimately they'd have to take the place of something. And these AFOL-oriented sets are generally a very small part of the LEGO Group's business compared to core, kid-focused lines like City, Friends, and Ninjago. So shifting production line resources away from core products just to offer re-releases of products that are ultimately quite niche might not be financially sound.

Lepin is in a very different situation than the LEGO Group. Creating and promoting new, never-before-seen products is not a part of their business model, so what's in their best interest is to just create knock-offs of whatever existing sets they feel are most highly in demand. And while I don't know any specific numbers, I get the feeling that they are ultimately a MUCH smaller operation than The LEGO Group, so they can stand to make a lot of money even on sets that might have a smallish audience by LEGO standards.

Who knows how many of each of these sets LEPIN ultimately produces? It's easy to see one or two dozen of the same knock-off in one photo and assume Lepin must producing these things in vast quantities, but it could be that they only produce 5,000 of each of these bigger sets before moving on to the next thing. Remember, they're not just competing with LEGO, but also with all the other LEGO knock-offs out there. So it's probably not in their best interest to keep producing the same sets indefinitely any more than the LEGO Group's.
    dougtsShibSprinkleOtterLyichircatwranglerpharmjodSumoLegoDontcopythatfloppy
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 255
    Also, let's not forget that Lepin is like a fly compared to this MASSIVE juggernaut known as Lego. Lepin might be smart that they are cloning some of Lego's most popular sets, but Anachir said, Lego reselling these sets would be a far different story. Its not saying that Lego wouldn't sell a TON of them, they would. Its just that Lego would sell a TON by Lepin's standards, not by their own standards.

Even though there are billions of people in China, I bet Lepin's actually sales would surprise us.What I mean is, if Lepin sells 5,000 Monster House sets for example, that might be a HUGE success for them. While Lego on the other hand, if they sell 5,000 sets, to them it's a huge failer. I'm sure Lepin and other companies like Enlighten are doing pretty good for themselves, but that doesn't mean they are doing good on the global scale. Like if a pie chart were created of all the brick based companies sales, Lego is probably 80%. Mega Bloks is probably 10%, Kree-O 5%, and companies like Lepin and Enlighten are probably lucky to get 1% a piece. 

That's my gut feeling anyways, but I could be wrong. I just don't feel like they phase Lego all that much.
    catwrangler
    Aanchir said:

I don't think TLG doesn't listen, it's just that they've already found that things like re-releasing old sets are generally not in their best interest.
    Ok, so they listen - but I strongly dispute the bit about it not being in their best interests. LEPIN have made a name for themselves by producing something that TLG would not. I am sure that is a big mistake, if only because it means that LEPIN have been able to make an impression on the market where TLG sees as their growth area. If TLG had acted differently, LEPIN may not have been able to get off the ground. It's not just about sales.
    LEGO could bring back an old modular building, for instance, but most of the time, chances are they could make more money and get more positive feedback by instead putting that investment towards an entirely new modular building.
    That is the problem with a big business - you have to keep ALL of your prospective customer happy, not just some of them. If there's a subsection that isn't happy, somebody else will move in.
    Lately the LEGO Group has dabbled in re-releases (Winter Toy Shop and Death Star), and a lot of the reactions have been negative.
    They've re-released other things and people have barely raised an eyebrow because it wasn't obvious they were instead of something completely new.
    But re-releasing an old Winter Village set alongside a new one could mean that many fewer people buying either, because many buyers would be forced to choose between the two (not to mention between those and whatever previous installments are still available).
    They do that anyway. Each year, the previous set is re-released. Sometimes, like this year, they re-released two.
    The LEGO Legends series years ago was similarly poorly received. Needless to say, what people say they want isn't always what they actually want.
    They got it wrong. LEPIN presumably think they've got it right because they've continued with that strategy.
    Also, the LEGO Group's production capacity is not unlimited.
    Neither is LEPIN's. They identified a market, built or found the capacity, and went into production. TLG could have done exactly the same thing - and hopefully in a reduced timescale because they have the experience and the clout with equipment manufacturers. It's presumably profitable for them to have continued - it would be profitable for any company that did exactly the same thing, even if that company was TLG. Maybe it wouldn't be as profitable as other activities be it would have the advantages keeping LEPIN off the streets whilst playing to their growth area.

Furthermore TLG ought to be able to combine what LEPIN are doing with other new products. If they think they need 10,000 of an out-of-production part, but a sensible batch is 50,000 they ought to be able to find a new use most of the time - but then, even if it isn't a sensible run for them, LEPIN think it is.

TLG seem to be focusing purely on money, and not thinking outside of the box in terms of keeping their competitors at bay and then working out if there's a way of making that more cost-effective. If there is, then that good; if there's not, then it's still probably worth doing it anyway.
    Like if a pie chart were created of all the brick based companies sales, Lego is probably 80%. Mega Bloks is probably 10%, Kree-O 5%, and companies like Lepin and Enlighten are probably lucky to get 1% a piece.
    TLG's share of the construction set market in the US is 85-90%. However, when you talk about LEPIN, you're talking about a totally different situation. In the US, there a couple of major brands and then a few "others" - and LEGO products are head and shoulders above the rest. In Asia, you're talking of dozens and dozens of brands. The concept of "market leader" doesn't work. Nor does TLG have a particular advantage; there are quite a few premium clones - several of which have their own versions of LEGO designs! And once somebody has two or three clone modulars, possibly from several different clone manufacturers, they're going to think nothing of buying another set from the same sources, rather than the more expensive Western version.
    cheshirecat
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,405
    Lepin may have made a name for themselves, but how many people really buy their stuff? And is their name a good one?
    Lepin may have made a name for themselves, but how many people really buy their stuff? And is their name a good one?
    There are forums that enthusiastically discuss the virtues of one clone over another and the minutiae of things like owl and parrots in Cafe Corner. There seem to be plenty of different people posting.

There are also quite a lot of videos on sites like YouTube where people are doing much the same thing as you would expect with LEGO sets. Some are in English.

You could also try:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%E4%B9%90%E6%8B%BC

Or, if you don't trust odd looking links, paste 乐拼 into Google (which is the same as the above).
    And is their name a good one?
    Yes.

I just finished looking through the Winter Toy Shop reviews on Target.com, originally posted on shop.LEGO.com.

Several of the people posting one-star reviews of the Winter Toy Shop still bought it, even though they owned the earlier release. As long as they keep buying, I think LEGO can handle a few complaints about reruns. Twice as many people posted 5-star reviews, and some of them also say they owned the prior version. When the reviews that say "I did not buy it because it is a reissue" start to outnumber the "I bought it and this set is great" reviews, LEGO may have a reason to change course.

Like any other business, LEGO can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,574
    If I was going to buy a fake / clone of a Lego set I wanted but missed out on, I'd buy lepin.

I wonder what Lego's reaction time is. The fake figures have been around for a while but were quite poor, then suddenly seemed to get better. The fake sets have also appeared relatively recently. 

In the past Lego have obviously not thought a UCS MF was worth re-releasing for whatever reason. But if they see what is happening now and feel the need to try to fight back by releasing their own, what the turn around time would be to redesign, produce, package, and get it on the shelves.  
    CCC said:
    If I was going to buy a fake / clone of a Lego set I wanted but missed out on, I'd buy lepin.

I wonder what Lego's reaction time is. The fake figures have been around for a while but were quite poor, then suddenly seemed to get better. The fake sets have also appeared relatively recently. 

In the past Lego have obviously not thought a UCS MF was worth re-releasing for whatever reason. But if they see what is happening now and feel the need to try to fight back by releasing their own, what the turn around time would be to redesign, produce, package, and get it on the shelves.  
    Since there are no rumors out yet about a LEGO re-release of the UCS MF, my guess would be lead time is too long to make it available for Christmas 2016. LEGO also has to take into account the bloggers who are just waiting to post their stories about the crash of the LEGO aftermarket value that could happen if they re-release it. Speculators who started buying after they read that LEGO value rises faster than gold are likely to "dump their shares" and quit buying.
    CCC said:

I understand that Lego have a redesigned UCS MF already, but decided not to use it (yet)
    TigerMoth said:
    There are forums that enthusiastically discuss the virtues of one clone over another and the minutiae of things like owl and parrots in Cafe Corner. There seem to be plenty of different people posting.

There are also quite a lot of videos on sites like YouTube where people are doing much the same thing as you would expect with LEGO sets. Some are in English.

You could also try:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%E4%B9%90%E6%8B%BC

Or, if you don't trust odd looking links, paste 乐拼 into Google (which is the same as the above).
    And is their name a good one?
    Yes.

And yet Lepin is confined to one country. And the way things are going, they are probably to be shut down (like Best Lok, but to a greater extent) if they ever try to expand or once the courts in China final get with reality.
    ^Confined to one country? With international shipping, not so much. As for Best Lock, they stock it in 3 brick-and-mortar stores less than 5 miles from my house here in CT. I don't know that it actually gets sold, but I've seen it on the shelves at Ocean State Job Lot, Dollar General, and Big Lots.

Lepin is causing a fuss among AFOLs because they are cloning big, recent, popular sets, and from all accounts I have read they are doing a better job of cloning that most of the others while LEGO and other IP holders (like Disney) are not doing anything publicly to stop them.
    Jern92
    ^Confined to one country? With international shipping, not so much. As for Best Lock, they stock it in 3 brick-and-mortar stores less than 5 miles from my house here in CT. I don't know that it actually gets sold, but I've seen it on the shelves at Ocean State Job Lot, Dollar General, and Big Lots.

Lepin is causing a fuss among AFOLs because they are cloning big, recent, popular sets, and from all accounts I have read they are doing a better job of cloning that most of the others while LEGO and other IP holders (like Disney) are not doing anything publicly to stop them.
    The "international shipping" you speak of is the odd seller on ebay-type sites.

Sure. But their minifigures don't look a whole lot like LEGO ones, and the still get their sets seized by the shipfull.