Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Holiday to Billund

GossyF1GossyF1 BerkshireMember Posts: 15
Has anyone Been to Legoland Billund? Where did you stay? Any advice on travelling there. 
I'm looking to go early June for a long weekend with the family so any advice would be great thanks. 

Comments

• SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 230
    Lalandia is super and has a great water park included in the price. 
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 776
    Ryanair fly to Billund airport from the UK and it is a short walk from the airport to Legoland, although with luggage a taxi is probably better!

There is also the Legoland hotel attached to Legoland and Legoland holiday village a short walk away where you stay in cabins, which are not en-suite.

I'm not sure how the Lego House is coming along but that should be a great attraction when opened.

Billund is a great place to visit, but we are all biased on here! 
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 396
    edited January 6
    When I went to Bilund last year, I stayed at Hotel Propellen. It was quite nice, with an included breakfast buffet, and it is really close to the park. There is a trail that passes by the parking lot, and if you walk down it, it will cut across a wilderness area and some sculptures before reaching the back of the Legoland Hotel, which is right across the street from the park. A brisk pace will get you there in less than 10 minutes. Overall,the hotel is very convenient and not too expensive.
    GossyF1
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,154
    edited January 6
    BA now fly to Billund from Heathrow which is handy. 
    A short walk? Maybe in theory but with kids and luggage?? I would never bother to walk from the airport to the town centre; plenty of buses and taxis to use instead. 

I've stayed in both the Svanen and Legoland hotel. Both very good, though the Svanen is a 15 min walk from the park. And of course it's great to be in a Lego themed hotel but you pay rather more for that privilege. I know @MinifigsMe stayed in one of the cabins with her family, might be the best option if you're going as a family. But I think you can end up quite a long way from the park? 

In Billund itself there's a really good bakery and @legopants and I also found a really nice ice cream cafe.  Definitely worth a trip! 

There are other threads on here about travelling to Billund that you might find helpful:
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/19341/brickset-members-destination-billund-2015
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/18898/visiting-billund
    GossyF1
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 17
    Hotel Propellen for me as well. They were really friendly and helpful, kept the kitchen open for us as we were running late from delayed flights. Enjoy the trip.
    GossyF1
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,804
    The cabins at the LEGOLAND village are great for families with small kids. The brick built ones have bathrooms and fold-out bunk beds. As they have no carpets they can be cold but you should be OK in June. The park is easily walkable from them.

If money is no object then the LL hotel would be my choice although it is starting to look a bit rough round the edges in places.
    GossyF1
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,682
    I can recommend Hotel Svanen. The room I stayed in was basic but OK. And the All-You-Can-Eat breakfast buffet wasn't bad at all. About a 10-15 minute walk up the road to the park entrance.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,684
    I stayed in the Zleep hotel when I went in 2015. Right next to the airport. Shame we drove rather than flew! Nice hotel though.

It's really not a short walk from the airport to Legoland. Maybe 15 or 20 mins walk.
    GossyF1
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 776
    Perhaps I used the wrong words when I said a short walk, although I have walked it. What I meant to convey is that the airport is very close to Billund and not a 20/30 km journey away like so many places.  When I visited I used the Legoland Village and had a cabin. Good for a couple with children but would be "cosy" for 4 adults!
    GossyF1
  • GossyF1GossyF1 BerkshireMember Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the comments, planning is underway. 
  • DfenzDfenz IrelandMember Posts: 40

While the airport itself is practically adjacent to LEGOLAND, the problem is that the terminal building is the far side of the airport. Perfectly walkable in good weather but not particularly nice in adverse weather or with luggage.

If staying in LEGOLAND hotel I believe there is a free shuttle but plenty of taxis otherwise and as others have said short walks from most accommodations (except the Zleep at the airport) to the park entrance. The LEGOLAND hotel has its own entrance to the park.

As others have mentioned don't forget Lalandia which is much more than a waterpark in that it has nice restaurants, mini-golf, bowling etc. all under a very stylish Mediterranean sky roof - very Romanesque. Its near the LEGOLAND Camping which has self-catering wooden chalet accommodation (en-suite) but there are extras for linens etc. as you make up your own beds there. It has an outdoor mini-golf course also. That's where people stay when the bi-annual eurobricks event is in town.

In my opinion, Billund town itself, without the new Ideas House is rather bland for a family vacation and its not cheap - I suspect you'll be in LL or Lalandia most of the time

• koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 186
    We went three years ago and stayed two nights in Lalandia and two in the Legoland Hotel. The latter was fun but looking a bit dated and we'd stay at Lalandia again if we go back (basically Center Parcs without the forest). The hotel buffet was limited and overpriced. We had really nice meals at the restaurant in the Hotel Propellen which was a short walk away.