Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Early release for Saturn v...

mh3490mh3490 Hiding from wife under a pile of legoMember Posts: 173
Does anyone know if vips will be able to get get the set 2 weeks early of if it is a solid june 1st release date for everyone 
Benhadsomelego

Comments

• BoomstickBoomstick IndianaMember Posts: 119
    Good question I'm also interested in knowing I really want to get my hands on this.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,148
    No because it's not a D2C. Ideas releases aren't like that. June 1st will be the official first day you can purchase it. 
    Dad
  • UberbrickUberbrick OregonMember Posts: 79
    Can't wait for Saturn V! I would never say this but… I want to purchase this set ASAP (for the normal price).
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,204
    edited May 7
    The only reason why I may buy one of these when it is out is the fear of them selling out as it is an Ideas set (since other such Ideas space sets have come and gone fairly quickly).
    It really is a nice set though. Would much rather see it around for a double points or if it could go on sale at Amazon.
    Mynattcatwrangler
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 255
    I'm hoping to order one ASAP,  too! I have $40 in VIP points to help make the cost less painful.
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 229
    Another similar sort of question: any idea if this will be exclusive to Lego stores/online? Or will it be available from other retailers too?
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,171
    ^ I think that's the big question as it also give us an idea of how many they have made.
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 138
    Did you guys see the review on Brothers Bricks? I already wanted this set badly but after the review I'm now desperately waiting for it.... 
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,074
    ^Yeah the images of all those complex snot building techniques sold me.
    catwrangler
    Yeah I haven't wanted something so bad in awhile 

• mh3490mh3490 Hiding from wife under a pile of legoMember Posts: 173
    Ya just read capnrex's review definitely a day one buy 
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 561
    This could well be the set that i've been waiting for all my life. It could also be the last set I ever buy. "That looks good, but it ain't as good as the Saturn V." Probably not though.
  • spicypigspicypig GlasgowMember Posts: 147
    LEGO China starts selling it from today.
    Dedgecko
    Is it really possible that it may sell out instantly and not be issued again? It seems like we all want it but has there ever been another set where it sold out straight away and was never seen again?
    ^ 21104 Curiosity Rover sold out very quickly but Lego didn't have much invested in the set, no new parts colour change parts or prints. So they could do a small run and cover the cost of the set. In this case they have to cover the cost of making parts in new colours and all the printed parts. I think the key will be who sells this set. If other shops are selling it too then I think it will be ok, if it sells out there will be another production run. But if Lego are the only ones selling it all bets are off and it could sell out and not return although I think this is less likely to happen now than in the past.
    catwranglerdonutboy
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,577
    I wonder how soon we'll know if it's being sold by other shops - what's usual with Ideas sets?
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 138
    I'm a 55 year old male who is into LEGO since 6 years. As a 7 year old boy I watched the Apollo 11 moon landing live at the house of a neighbour - they were the only that had a TV at that time. The whole street gathered together at their house. IIRC it was late in the evening (in my country) and we (the kids) were allowed to stay up late.
    In the past 6 years I bought/collected hundreds of sets, many of them were over $100.
    But this is the first time I really want to be among the first to buy the set.
    I'm really considering to go to the (not official) LEGO store in my home town on June 1st at 9.00 AM to get it. And I will buy two.
    spark_bearscatwranglerDedgeckothedingman5wardricecakeRTO77ncaachamps
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 536
    In the US, Barnes & Noble typically carries the Ideas sets. But given the high interest in this one, I'm planning on getting one from Lego right away. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,062
    TRU has carried the recent Ideas line,  so I would imagine these will be widely available.
    catwrangler
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,432
    Wow. Incredible pix @Legoboy. Thanks for sharing.
    catwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,204

^Yeah the images of all those complex snot building techniques sold me.

What sold me was the detail and the printed parts. No stickers. I have VIP points 'burning a hole' in my account. I know what they are likely going toward buying.
    Dad
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,542

SMC said:

^ 21104 Curiosity Rover sold out very quickly but Lego didn't have much invested in the set, no new parts colour change parts or prints. So they could do a small run and cover the cost of the set. In this case they have to cover the cost of making parts in new colours and all the printed parts. I think the key will be who sells this set. If other shops are selling it too then I think it will be ok, if it sells out there will be another production run. But if Lego are the only ones selling it all bets are off and it could sell out and not return although I think this is less likely to happen now than in the past.

I was told by a LEGO Brand Store manager that the #21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover wasn't even available in LEGO stores, it had such a limited run they couldn't send them to all the stores around the world; therefore it was only available online.

I'll be waiting outside my LEGO store on June 1st knowing that it will be selling extremely fast. However I don't think it will have the same production run as #21104, I'm sure it will be available for a couple of months at least.
    Let the race to get one begin.

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,533
    I wonder whether Lego will do an Ideas NASA "faked the landings" filming studio for the conspiracy theorists.
    dutchlegofan50
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,804
    ^^ Whaddaya expect for 98 cents? I've tried building cylinders with macaroni bricks and based on my experience, I'd have to classify it as an "illegal" technique. They kinda hang together. I'd love for TLG to come out with macaroni bricks that could be interlocked like regular bricks.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,964
    edited May 15
    Well funny you should say.... TLG now makes these on the right..... (Bricklink image)

But the problem is that the can now only be stacked on top of each other.... and not staggered (which after 60 years is suddenly an "illegal" technique).

When the macaroni brick was first introduced in 1955, they kinda went overkill.....

TLG "overcorrected" this by 1957 when all but the bottom (2x2 with notch) was retired.  I wish they would have kept the bottom two varieties.  The 2nd type (2x2 without notch) gets rid of those unsightly notches.  

Now we have the 2x2 with notch and reinforced undersides, and the 4x4 round brick with notches.

FYI.... this is the only know LEGO display model (glued) that utilized notchless macaroni bricks (from a late 1950s LEGO Retailer Glued Display Model Catalog)....

Images from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide.

madforLEGOstluxcatwranglerMynattricecake
    edited May 15
    ^ Here are the cylinders I built with 3063s (left) and 4x4 macaroni bricks. While both are doable without straining anything, the clutch power on the 3063s is too weak to hold together if handled (see #801-3 above), and the cylinder of 4x4s holds together once you get about 3 high, but the end result is slightly larger than 4x4. So both cylinders feel naughty, if not strictly illegal.

IstokgstluxcatwranglerricecakeGalactus77ncaachamps
    Let's get back on track this is a whole other topic.
    dougts
    Boomstick i agree... although us Indiana folks tend to think alike 
    Boomstick
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,924
    At least it is useful, informative information and not useless banter about unicorns and sausages.
    BumblepantscatwranglerSMCSumoLegobandit778CM4SAdzbadboyIstokgGalactus
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,789
    Now that just makes me wonder what the first LEGO representation of a sausage was...
    catwranglerstluxbandit778gmonkey76
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 302

donutboy said:

Is it really possible that it may sell out instantly and not be issued again? It seems like we all want it but has there ever been another set where it sold out straight away and was never seen again?

I asked the manager in my local store (Leeds, UK) about this on Saturday. She told me that the production run for all Ideas sets nowadays is targeted to keep them on shelves for about 8 months. If there is a big demand though, it will sell out sooner- they only do one production run.

This set has attracted a lot of non-Lego interest, but at £110/$120 it is a big commitment, so hopefully shouldn't affect things too much....

• CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,148
    Oh dunno if anyone is around there but the Billund LEGO Store has been selling these for a while. Remember last year they had the Disney CMFs like a week after they were officially revealed (March I think)
    stluxnwr122
  • jumalichijumalichi Member Posts: 36
    I'll be in Billund tomorrow for a few days and i'll tell you...
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,533
    Is the set honestly going to be £110/$120? That's the worst £/$ conversion i've seen on a lego set in quite a while.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,327

Is the set honestly going to be £110/$120? That's the worst £/$ conversion i've seen on a lego set in quite a while.

Kyle Ren's shuttle, Samurai X Cave Chaos, Jestro's Volcano Lair, and Captain Rex's AT-TE were all the same price in both countries, so it seems pretty typical for that price point these days outside the City and Technic themes.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,163
    @monkeyhanger - Try £99.99 or $89.99 on for size! That's the ridiculous UK price of #70916 The Batwing.
    SMCmonkeyhanger
    On the main Brickset page it's classified as Retail - Limited. Does that mean some other shops may stock it?
    edited May 15
    ^^ 21130 The Nether Railway £39.99 / $29.99
    CapnRex101
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 494

@monkeyhanger - Try £99.99 or $89.99 on for size! That's the ridiculous UK price of #70916 The Batwing.

Well, I won't be picking it up until price drops below £70. Given that all of the first wave batman sets dropped by 35% (or more) during recent bank holiday sales, I don't expect any problems getting it at that price later in the year. Everyone just needs to be patient! :)
    I see the wanted number for this set on BrickSet is up to 3166. I wonder what the highest wanted number for a set has been prior to its release. 
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,488
    Just because I "want" it doesn't mean I'm going to buy it lol!
    CM4SmonkeyhangerBumblepantsgmonkey76
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,924

donutboy said:

I asked the manager in my local store (Leeds, UK) about this on Saturday. She told me that the production run for all Ideas sets nowadays is targeted to keep them on shelves for about 8 months. If there is a big demand though, it will sell out sooner- they only do one production run.

This set has attracted a lot of non-Lego interest, but at £110/$120 it is a big commitment, so hopefully shouldn't affect things too much....

$120 for 1969 pieces? At six cents apiece, it's a bargain!!!! 
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,964

mh3490 said:

Boomstick i agree... although us Indiana folks tend to think alike 

Sorry for the info overload.... but I'm from Michigan (just north of Indiana)... where "Hoosiers" are considered a snack food!  Mwhahahaha..... ;-)

For our Brit/Aussie friends who might not get it... :)

Hoo·sier
    ˈho͞oZHər/
    noun
    NORTH AMERICAN
    1. a native or inhabitant of Indiana.

Hey man I am just a border hopper escaped Illinois high taxes and corrupt politics lol
    You Michigan and Illinois folk do best to stay outside our borders, we don't take kindly to foreigners trying to buy our legos.